Currently using Dark Sky.

Since moving from Android, I’m kinda surprised by the amount of apps that are subscription based instead on a one time purchase.

I wanted to use weather underground again but I really dislike having reoccurring fees.

Any suggestions?
    10-06-2017 06:45 AM
    WeatherBug is still free.
    10-06-2017 11:07 AM
    My Weather Underground app has no recurring fees.
    Anyway:
    BeWeather
    EWeather HD
    The Weather Channel

Good Luck i
    10-06-2017 08:13 PM
    Currently using Dark Sky.

Since moving from Android, I’m kinda surprised by the amount of apps that are subscription based instead on a one time purchase.

I wanted to use weather underground again but I really dislike having reoccurring fees.

Any suggestions?
    Subscription fees are a way for developers to keep making money from the apps they make and work so hard to maintain and improve. As for Weather Underground and similar apps, I think paying $1.99 a year is reasonable and worth it. I spend more than that every day on coffee alone.......Anyway, to answer your question, I recommend the native Weather app or BeWeather 2.
    Sherry_B and Miyaa999 like this.
    10-06-2017 08:27 PM
    BeWeather 2 is good for several reasons. No subscription, the weather share feature, and customization. I use a custom iconset I created.
    10-06-2017 09:21 PM
    Subscription fees are a way for developers to keep making money from the apps they make and work so hard to maintain and improve. As for Weather Underground and similar apps, I think paying $1.99 a year is reasonable and worth it. I spend more than that every day on coffee alone.......Anyway, to answer your question, I recommend the native Weather app or BeWeather 2.
    Agree. If you find an app you really like and don’t want to spend $1.99 per year to support it, I don’t know what to say.
    10-07-2017 06:20 AM
    I use BeWeather 2.

On another note; nothing wrong with supporting a programmer (I married one). Subscription services help pay them so they can support themselves and/or their families.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-08-2017 03:54 AM
    As someone who has a meteorology degree, let me offer the following suggestions:
    1. In almost all cases, paying a subscription for a weather app just removes ads. They haven’t (yet) put your pin-point forecast behind a subscription paywall, though some like Accuweather may soon include other things like really long-ranged forecasts in their subscriptions. If you don’t mind the ads, don’t worry about purchasing a subscription.
    2. I would first suggest to go to mobile.weather.gov, enter your zip code, and then bookmark the subsequent page. Then, you should use it as your first look at forecasts and current conditions.
    3. The “Storm Radar” app released by The Weather Channel doesn’t offer a subscription service, yet, so that might be a feisable option for you.
    4. Because weather apps uses basically a statistical method in giving you a pinpoint forecast based on your GPS location and any data associated with that GPS (zip code, telephone area code, etc.) your forecast maybe different than what the NWS’s official forecast will be, and also be slightly more likely to be wrong after the third day. I wouldn’t use any app for forecasting beyond two days and I wouldn’t use it as a replacement a proper weather radio for when weather warnings and watches strike, especially when the watches/warnings require you to act swiftly.
    02-18-2018 03:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD