There was a tweet. I thought I pinned it or saved it to read later and I can't find it. It was along the lines of a parent not wanting h/h iMessages going to h/h kid. I saw that happening with my 9 yo 😳 she's not messaging so I disabled it. How can I set up their own Ids and we share the same acct. I don't warn them to have CC access.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    08-01-2014 05:47 AM
    My kids (7 & 11) both have their own accounts that they use for iMessages/Facetime and iTunes purchases. Precisely because of the CC reason. They use gifts/allowance money to get iTunes gift cards to load to their iTunes account and use that to make purchases. If it is something I want to buy for them, then I usually use the iTunes/AppStore process that you can gift an app. Otherwise, if it is an app that I've previously purchased, I just log into my iTunes account, go to the Purchased tab, download the app/music/media, and then log out of my account so that there's no danger of them accessing my CC. The only minor issue with that is that for apps if there is an update for an app I've put on their iDevice with my account, I have to put in my iTunes account info for the update. But both kids know that and just bring me their iPad and ask me to enter my password to get the update.

With iOS 8 in the fall, this will be improved. You will be able to set a group of accounts up as a Family Share and most things purchased by one family member will be accessible to the others. Family Shares will be able to be set up so that you can flag members as children and when the children want to purchase something (if they don't have a gift card balance), it will send a message/email to the primary (the adult who created the Family Share) to approve the purchase. That way the kids will never be able to use your CC without your approval.
    blessed2bamommie likes this.
    08-01-2014 08:50 AM
    Yeah, FamilyShare is going to be a great thing...
    08-01-2014 09:57 AM
    No lie! ^

Ok so with the internet protection kids have to be 13 for everything. Did end up lying to set it up? I know one friend did.

Right now we share and they bring me their devices and I log in and download.
    08-01-2014 10:11 AM
    Yeah, it will make sharing iTunes easier. But there will be a limit to 6 family members. So for that 7th member, they'll have to do it as it's done now. They will have to have the same iTunes Apple ID as the primary account holder. But have different ID for iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime.
    08-01-2014 10:21 AM
    No lie! ^

Ok so with the internet protection kids have to be 13 for everything. Did end up lying to set it up? I know one friend did.

Right now we share and they bring me their devices and I log in and download.
    Yes I lied about their age when I set up both gmail and appleid account for my kids.
    08-01-2014 10:25 AM
    Well hopefully it will be 5 most! Dh is a PC guy & a hater.

It's coming back to me! I read a tweet about how to share the acct but separate id for FT, etc
    08-01-2014 10:26 AM