One AirPod dies…

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
It seems my left AirPod will just die sitting in case. If I check it you can touch it so slightly and it is no longer charging. The lightning bolt goes away next to that AirPod so it’s not doing anything. If I slightly touch it then it will go back charging. Any solution to this. I’m guessing something isn’t making proper contact. They aren’t dirty. So if it’s jostled around in case I’m guessing that throws it off. IMG_8880.JPG

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How long have you had them and have you gone to a nearby Apple Store to have them inspected?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It definitely sounds like it would be a good idea to make an appointment at the Genius Bar at a nearby Apple Store.

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Even if the contacts don’t look dirty, try cleaning them on both sides… you just never know ;)

What’s best way to clean them? Do they need to hold contact at all times to maintain the charge. Could this be why I’ve had one dying when it’s just been sitting in case.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
What’s best way to clean them? Do they need to hold contact at all times to maintain the charge. Could this be why I’ve had one dying when it’s just been sitting in case.

Apple recommends using a dry cloth to clean the case, eventually dampened with isopropyl alcohol.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208729

I personally use a cotton swab that I have dampened in isopropyl alcohol. Then, I do a first pass of drying using a cotton swab. Finally, I leave it to fully dry.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
this has happened to my 1st gen AirPods. but I ended up getting AirPods pros for a good price so. yeah didnt bother getting the other one repaired or replaced

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
This sounds like a manufacturing defect. I would make an appointment and take them to Apple for a replacement as suggested by Moderators JustMeD and Annie.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have been noticing a crackling noise in my right air pod over the past several weeks. I knew this was a known defect, but I wasn’t concerned. Then, a couple of days ago, my right AirPod stopped working altogether. I scheduled a Genius Bar appointment for earlier today. My experience was fantastic. I have Apple Care, and after testing my AirPods, it was clear they were broken. Apple replaced them, and I am a happy camper!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have been noticing a crackling noise in my right air pod over the past several weeks. I knew this was a known defect, but I wasn’t concerned. Then, a couple of days ago, my right AirPod stopped working altogether. I scheduled a Genius Bar appointment for earlier today. My experience was fantastic. I have Apple Care, and after testing my AirPods, it was clear they were broken. Apple replaced them, and I am a happy camper!

NICE

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue with my 3rd gen Airpods that I bought in november!! I will try to clean the case, even if it looks ok, and schedule an appointment to my local Apple store if the problem persist.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have this problem intermittently with my AirPod 2s. I had crackling, and at times one AirPod dies. I went to Apple, which agreed there was a hardware issue. But I don’t have Apple Care and it wanted $69 to replace EACH airpod. New sets are on sale elsewhere for $100. And I use my AP2s as backups to my AP Pros so it didn’t make sense. I’m waiting for the new AP pros before I buy anything new.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have this problem intermittently with my AirPod 2s. I had crackling, and at times one AirPod dies. I went to Apple, which agreed there was a hardware issue. But I don’t have Apple Care and it wanted $69 to replace EACH airpod. New sets are on sale elsewhere for $100. And I use my AP2s as backups to my AP Pros so it didn’t make sense. I’m waiting for the new AP pros before I buy anything new.

I completely understand this. The only time I've ever purchased Apple Care was when I bought my AP Pros. So when you purchase your new ones, I suggest that you consider getting Apple Care for them!

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I buy Apple care for my phone and iPad. But for relatively inexpensive products, I don’t bother. My AirPod 2s are 3 years old now. If I had it, it would have expired after 2 years anyway.

I’d have no problem paying $69 for both AirPods, but I’m disappointed at the replacement policy as the AirPods are not damaged in any way and this appears to be a known problem, just like it is with AirPod Pros. The Genius Bar person I spoke with last week told me it was at least. Interestingly, the same thing happened to my AirPod Pros and they were replaced for me at no costs 3 weeks ago. I don’t have Apple Care + on those either.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
For AirPods I suggest engaging Apple Support via the Support app, web, or phone. My APP already replaced via warranty earlier went horribly crackly a second time. I depend on them so much for work that I got Beats Fit Pro but in that (leading to it) store staff were not able to help me. Knowing there's a post-sale issue I used phone support. Via the serial # I got a $0 repair that is a new or refurb pair in my original battery case.

I digress, but it's interesting having new AirPods Pro and the Fit Pro working great. APP are the better hearing aids and units in the work place and the new Beats model win for doing exercise, action and music quality.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2