Said I Wouldn't Buy Them But I Did

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
I never thought I would want to get AirPods as I was happy with EarPods - until I wasn't. I have a big 8 Plus and got an arm band for my 'runs'. It was okay at first. I didn't initially think the ear pods would work for me, but they were okay.

Then I find the older I get, the more the armband is really bothering me. Damn phone is heavy. And when adding the wires of the EarPods and the safety line from the treadmill it was all starting to drive me crazy. Don't know why. So I figured at least when I'm on the treadmill, with the AirPods, I can leave the phone on the table.

I'm getting kind of deep the the Apple rabbit hole. Never thought that would happen.

Any tips for an AirPod newby?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Congratulations on your new AirPods! I’ve had mine since Christmas and love them! I am wearing them more and more. I wore them last night as we were doing yard work. It was awesome to have Siri read me my text messages, which thanks to chatty family, were plenty! I love them for phone calls, FaceTime and Zoom meetings. And of course, music. I did buy some ear hooks for them which are great for times when I doing yard work or out walking.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Nice. I’ve had my Pros for a few weeks and love them. I also had the originals and the gen 2 with wireless case.

The rabbit hole, huh? Well, one iMac, two Mac Minis, one MacBook Pro, two Apple TV’s, one Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad and AirPods Pro.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on getting your AirPods and welcome to the inner regions of the Apple Rabbit Hole...(laughing)

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
Nice. I’ve had my Pros for a few weeks and love them. I also had the originals and the gen 2 with wireless case.

The rabbit hole, huh? Well, one iMac, two Mac Minis, one MacBook Pro, two Apple TV’s, one Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad and AirPods Pro.

You win! (I do have two Apple Watches and an iPad Air). Had one watch in repair and found I couldn't wait for it to come back.

Last edited:

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
Thanks. Those would be really good when I have to mow the lawn or go on a run. I don't think I'll lose them but that would add some reassurance.:)

Last edited:

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Here's a photo:
Doesn't that get annoying to constantly have to take these hooks off before putting the Pods into the case? And then to re-install them?
I've been looking for a solution for quite a while now, as mine constantly pop out of my ears, but haven't found anything that works really well (workout with Air Pods therefore not being an option at all, all that works is to sit still or lie down and then not to move at all. The slightest move, even talking (!) make them move away from where they should be).
Except buying the Beats Pro - which fit perfectly & firmly, however the sound quality is much better with the Air Pods Pro. This doesn't matter for podcasts or so, but for listening to music I prefer the Air Pods, as long as they stay in my ears.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Not a tip, but just know that you’ll start finding AirPods as a “can’t leave home without them” type of product. I always make sure that they’re in my pocket along with my wallet when I walk out the door. When I go grocery shopping or things of that nature, I usually I have one in my ear listening to a podcast or something else streaming live.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Not a tip, but just know that you’ll start finding AirPods as a “can’t leave home without them” type of product. I always make sure that they’re in my pocket along with my wallet when I walk out the door. When I go grocery shopping or things of that nature, I usually I have one in my ear listening to a podcast or something else streaming live.

I have learned that the hard way!!! :D

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Doesn't that get annoying to constantly have to take these hooks off before putting the Pods into the case? And then to re-install them?
I've been looking for a solution for quite a while now, as mine constantly pop out of my ears, but haven't found anything that works really well (workout with Air Pods therefore not being an option at all, all that works is to sit still or lie down and then not to move at all. The slightest move, even talking (!) make them move away from where they should be).
Except buying the Beats Pro - which fit perfectly & firmly, however the sound quality is much better with the Air Pods Pro. This doesn't matter for podcasts or so, but for listening to music I prefer the Air Pods, as long as they stay in my ears.

Not at all. I don't use the hooks all the time, just when I'm going to be moving around alot. The fact that I know my AirPods are secure gives me great peace of mind, so taking time to put them in the hooks and taking them out of them is worth it.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if you have the Pros or the regular

My wife has used these on her regular airpods (2.0) and they work good to keep them from falling out though you have to remove them to charge. They're a silicone cover that slips over and have a foam earbud piece.
https://www.complyfoam.com/products/softconnect-by-comply/

Comply makes great tips, I've used them for many different earbuds. They also just came out with tips for the Pro's finally and I've pre-ordered them for mine. They do NOT have to be removed on the pro's before charging.
https://www.complyfoam.com/products/comply-foam-tips-compatible-with-airpods-pro/

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Not sure if you have the Pros or the regular

My wife has used these on her regular airpods (2.0) and they work good to keep them from falling out though you have to remove them to charge. They're a silicone cover that slips over and have a foam earbud piece.
https://www.complyfoam.com/products/softconnect-by-comply/

Comply makes great tips, I've used them for many different earbuds. They also just came out with tips for the Pro's finally and I've pre-ordered them for mine. They do NOT have to be removed on the pro's before charging.
https://www.complyfoam.com/products/comply-foam-tips-compatible-with-airpods-pro/

I have the Pros and those tips look interesting, will definitely take a close look. Thanks!

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I have the Pros and those tips look interesting, will definitely take a close look. Thanks!

If you want to wait a bit for feedback or anything, I did pre-order them last night and can let you know my thoughts when they get here. As I said I've used their tips on my regular earbuds (Thinksound and Beats X) and really like them so I'm expecting these to be just as good. I'm not sure how the memory foam and potentially having to compress it a bit first combined with the odd shape of the airpods vs regular buds will work out though. So that's one point I'll be evaluating. Either way I plan to use them as I'm sort of in between sizes on the silicon ones from Apple. Using the middle size now and one seems slightly to small the other ear slightly too big, though neither has fallen out. The next size up or down though is too extreme so memory foam will fix that for sure. Plus it's much more comfy than silicon tips.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
If you want to wait a bit for feedback or anything, I did pre-order them last night and can let you know my thoughts when they get here. As I said I've used their tips on my regular earbuds (Thinksound and Beats X) and really like them so I'm expecting these to be just as good. I'm not sure how the memory foam and potentially having to compress it a bit first combined with the odd shape of the airpods vs regular buds will work out though. So that's one point I'll be evaluating. Either way I plan to use them as I'm sort of in between sizes on the silicon ones from Apple. Using the middle size now and one seems slightly to small the other ear slightly too big, though neither has fallen out. The next size up or down though is too extreme so memory foam will fix that for sure. Plus it's much more comfy than silicon tips.

I think reading about your findings will be appreciated by everybody in this thread, thanks!
I can't order them now anyway, they seem to be sold out or not (yet?) available (I'm in Europe). So I'll wait for your feedback before considering expensive imports from I don't know where ;-)

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I think reading about your findings will be appreciated by everybody in this thread, thanks!
I can't order them now anyway, they seem to be sold out or not (yet?) available (I'm in Europe). So I'll wait for your feedback before considering expensive imports from I don't know where ;-)

They're not quite available yet. I basically pre-ordered them. They went up for purchase but don't ship until May 18. I've bought enough stuff from Comply though that I'm comfortable doing that.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on your new AirPods. I purchased mine a couple of months ago. I pretty much don’t leave home without them.

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
Well, I've had them for a couple days now. I can't believe how good the sound is with these. I'm really impressed. As I said, I had the EarPods, but there is no comparison. Very happy.

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site

MBP, Mac Mini, iPhone, iPad Pro 2018, iPad Air 2 mounted to wall in my kitchen, iPad Pro 1st gen mounted in my entryway, AppleTV. Apple Watch Series 1, Series 5, HomePod, AirPods 1st gen and AirPods Pro.

Rabbit Hole indeed