Why do my AirPods work better when they are touched?

Spoooonman

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I noticed recently that my AirPods were not as loud as they used to be. I checked the volume and it was at its maximum. I then went to adjust them and when I touched the right one it sounded great. As soon as I let go of it, it went back to low. The same happens with the left one. So, when I barely place my index fingers on each AirPod I get great quality audio. Needless to say, I cannot hold my fingers on them in order to get the sound I should have. I have cleaned them, relearned them and tried various other suggestions that I found online. Any suggestions before I break down and purchase new ones? Thanks!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My nieces were both having volume issues with their AirPods, so they made appointments with the Genius Bar. Turns out, the issue was wax buildup. The Genius that helped them was very sweet and said that we all have wax in our ears and it's nothing to be embarrassed about. I'm not sure that this is an issue, but I would definitely make an appointment at the Genious Bar and have your AirPods checked out.

Also, welcome to iMore- it's good to have you here. When you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What did you mean by "relearn"? Did you mean you unpaired them, then paired them back? If not, you might try that. It sounds like when you touch them, your finger acts as a conductor for the signal it receives. Not sure that's normal.
Also, did you calibrate the Airpods and iPhone?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Looks like you’re blocking the mesh for air intake.
It’s that black dot on top of the stem. You’ll feel a little hole in there.
If you block it, the sound will be better but the bass or so will fade away.

Use a toothbrush to clean the piece that goes in your ear and also clean the bottom of the stem.
This will make the AirPods sound louder.

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. Obviously this is not normal actions of AirPods. As Moderator Annie suggested make a Genius Bar appointment and have Apple determine what the best course of action might be.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Try moving the Airpods orientation in your ear, it may just be that your daughters are not placing theirAirpods in the optimum position for themselves.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods