AirPods Pro: First Impressions

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Talked myself into a purchase today, and I am absolutely happy with the AirPods Pro.

I have AirPod gen 1 and 2, and also many other in ear Bluetooth headsets that I’m accumulated over the years, normally I have one or two major gripes with any headset, AirPods Pro are so far without fault.

Here is what I love:

No “thump thump thump” when walking, big issue for me with other in ear sealed headphones.

Reliable play and pause, and now skip forward and back. With v1 and v2 this was never as reliable for me, squeeze is a better gesture.

Multiple gestures available on both AirPods, not just one per AirPod.

No tap (was annoying), now a squeeze, big improvement.

Fit my ears better, I never had a problem with AirPods, but these are better fit.

Stalks are shorter and I agree allow use on pillow or airline seat headrest sides (like on qantas and ba).

Noise cancelling is quite good, certainly no Bose 700 or 35ii, but certainly a great addition.

These are actually too loud for me, never had this issue with any AirPods or equivalent.

Bass levels are quite good, certainly fine for music.

I can’t get them to fall out, no matter how much in shake my head.

They seem to connect to iPhone with more reliability than my v1 or v2.

Ear fit actually seems to work, I moved one AirPod slightly to get a minimal seal break and the test failed.

First use I was worried they had removed gestures for play and pause, no they didn’t, one squeeze for pause, two squeezes for skip, three for skip back and press and hold to enable transparent mode (you can change this to Siri activation).

Love them, just wish they were a different colour.

IMG_3904.JPGIMG_3905.JPG

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine will arrive next week. I mostly want: 1) NC to be on par with my Bose 35, 2) stay in my ears while running, and 3) sound at least as good as my PowerBeats Pros.

I typically don’t compare over ears to earbuds but specifically did for this purpose. These aren’t as good as the Bose QC35, but they’re amazing to be earbuds. Based on ANC, convenience, comfort, decent sound..I’d definitely recommend them.

Can anyone talk to using these when walking, specifically I'm curious about the typical thump thump thump you get from sealed EarPods as one walks along.

I walk around NYC pretty much all day, everyday (walking now lol) & haven’t noticed any thumping. Didn’t have that issue with my Bose Soundsport Free either. I think it has to do with the fit....no wiggle, no thump. Hope this helps!

Murphy5156

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
I’m pretty happy with the AirPods Pro. I couldn’t use my 1st generation AirPods when mowing the lawn because the mower just drowned them out, even at full volume.

Not so with the AirPods Pro. I used them today with the weed whacker, the leaf blower, and the mower and the ANC worked VERY well.

Now I can use these when mowing the lawn instead of my over the ear Beats.

Can’t wait to try these on a plane.

In short, VERY happy with the purchase. Great job Apple!

davsug

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I typically don’t compare over ears to earbuds but specifically did for this purpose. These aren’t as good as the Bose QC35, but they’re amazing to be earbuds. Based on ANC, convenience, comfort, decent sound..I’d definitely recommend them.

I walk around NYC pretty much all day, everyday (walking now lol) & haven’t noticed any thumping. Didn’t have that issue with my Bose Soundsport Free either. I think it has to do with the fit....no wiggle, no thump. Hope this helps!

I had the thumping noise with my PowerBeat Pros. Pretty sure it was the ear loop over my ears that bounced a bit, especially when running. Did a hard 5 mile run yesterday with the AirPod Pros, and zero thumping. They worked perfectly, and I find even in transparency mode I can hear the music better than my PowerBeat Pros. So happy with these.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Returned mine, just couldn't get a comfortable fit and seal no matter what i tried with all different size tips, at first i thought they were ok but they got worse with use over last 10 days, i really wanted to like them but just have to except my ears are just not suited to in ears, similar with V2 could never use the left one, o'well i tried.
Bought a pair of Bose 700 instead.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Returned mine, just couldn't get a comfortable fit and seal no matter what i tried with all different size tips, at first i thought they were ok but they got worse with use over last 10 days, i really wanted to like them but just have to except my ears are just not suited to in ears, similar with V2 could never use the left one, o'well i tried.

Yeah, unfortunately some ears are more challenging to get a proper fit than others. A friend of mine actually had a custom set of Earbuds made. Similar to having a custom set of Hearing Aids made.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately some ears are more challenging to get a proper fit than others. A friend of mine actually had a custom set of Earbuds made. Similar to having a custom set of Hearing Aids made.

Yeah musos do that, really liking the Bose 700's big improvement over the QC35. No transparancy but you can go adjust NC from 0-10 in the bose app. Switching between iPad and iPhone is easier and Volume can be kept lower too v air pods, controls are great and comfort wise there's nothing better.

jonny247

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Hope there better then AirPods 1 I have a pear tho stopped using them as they give me earache did not even have them in that long so I’m glad they have got a new design out now
Any one comment how they feel in after about a hour are so of use of the AirPod pros?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I also plan on returning mine this week. The seals were working good for me up until the past 2 days. No matter what size tip I use, the right AirPod kept failing the seal test in the app. I can feel the difference with the audio playing. Really don’t even want to navigate the issue anymore so I’d rather just return and keep using my second gen AirPods instead.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Maybe I’m crazy or maybe I’m not but I’ve always felt like when it comes to volume and noice cancellation my ears just seem to adjust. To me the only real competition is over the ear versus in the ear. IMO over the ear while cumbersome at times, clearly wins out.

With respect to the AirPods Pro they were clearly better than my Gen1 AirPods for the first few days. Then my ears sort of adjusted to them and now they don’t sound much different. Giving them to my fiancé and she cancel her order she’s waiting on. Back to the Gen1’s for me.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
546f6b8e9414f431e459d788733dbf1d.jpg

Got mine today and I love them. It’s like night and day coming from the first gen

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
So can you replace tips with other branded ones?

I don't believe so. One of the review I read talking about the tips mentioned they use a different retention technique than standard earbuds. I asked Comply on their Facebook page in a post about their new tips for regular Airpods if they were working on something for these and they did confirm there is something in development but it's not ready yet of course.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro