AirPods Pro: First Impressions

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello iMore,

I have just received the AirPods Pro, and I must say that I am quite impressed. The packaging is very similar to that of the AirPods 1 & 2. The build quality do feel more solid in the hand, and I kind of like the new design. The ANC is legit.. the transitions are smooth and it blocks out most noises. The ANC makes it more immersive when listening to music, while the sound quality is similar to that of the AirPods but with a touch of wider soundstage and better imaging.

I do think it’s overpriced. Is it worth it? That really depends.. Personally, I find it to be a huge step up from the previous AirPods.

These are just my first impressions of the AirPods Pro

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Got mine today. Not really sure. I had Bose QC3511 so not really feeling the NC quality, although have only used them around the house. Sound doesn’t seem much different from my AP2, I actually think bass is better on those.
They feel comfy and fit my left ear way better and connection is excellent, BT range seems a bit better.
Not sure if worth the $400 over my AP2, will see over next few days.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Just picked mine up from Grand Central....Opening now

c0b6df1291b3c002ff729722f79089fc.jpg

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Totally off topic: Love your nails!

Back on topic: Considering purchasing a pair of pros. Haven’t made up my mind yet.

Thank you

Congratulations!
Let us know your thoughts

I love the fit & noise canceling. I picked these up because I heard AirPods are great with calls and canceling out outside noise while on a call. When I’m out & about in NYC, I need headphones that don’t pick up every bit of noise. My Bose Soundsport Free & PowerBeats pick up everything. Unfortunately, I think I got a bum pair because no one can hear me during a call. Since the Apple store is in the train station, I’ll just exchange these in the morning. Hopefully, this is just a one off issue and others aren’t having the same issue.

Besides that, the sound quality when listening to music or podcasts is what I’d expect from an earbud made by Apple. It‘a not going to be on par with Sony, Sennheiser, Bose, or anything else that caters to the audiophile, but they sound good. For my audiophile needs, I have other devices for that. For me, these are great commuting/walk around the city type of headphones and that’s exactly what I intend to use them for.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Anyone have some BeatsX to compare these to for sound quality? I'm currently using BeatsX with Comply foam tips but I'm going to assume Comply will put some tips out for these. I avoided airpods in the past because the shape didn't fit my ears very securely but the ear canal tip will fix that.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
After more use these are a keeper for me:

1. BT range is amazing, tested 25m before dropping out way further than my AP2, can get all around outside my house.
2. Very comfy for long periods and left ear doesn't fall out lol. The shorter stem helps, and not as bad to look at.
3. Connection seems easier/better. Better in your ear on a pillow.
4. NC next to my solar inverter is about 50% quiter, only constant hum i have to test here.
5. Tip for those finding hard to get out of case, push finger into the lid hole and pull back the AirPods toward you.

So the things that annoyed me with my AP2 are solved, would be nicer at $299AUD instead of $399 :)

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thank you

I love the fit & noise canceling. I picked these up because I heard AirPods are great with calls and canceling out outside noise while on a call. When I’m out & about in NYC, I need headphones that don’t pick up every bit of noise. My Bose Soundsport Free & PowerBeats pick up everything. Unfortunately, I think I got a bum pair because no one can hear me during a call. Since the Apple store is in the train station, I’ll just exchange these in the morning. Hopefully, this is just a one off issue and others aren’t having the same issue.

Besides that, the sound quality when listening to music or podcasts is what I’d expect from an earbud made by Apple. It‘a not going to be on par with Sony, Sennheiser, Bose, or anything else that caters to the audiophile, but they sound good. For my audiophile needs, I have other devices for that. For me, these are great commuting/walk around the city type of headphones and that’s exactly what I intend to use them for.

Very true. I love the AirPods Pro for its ease of use. It still won’t replace an audiophile grade IEM/Headphones.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I listen to audio books at night when I'm trying to get to sleep using AirPods, hence this is an interesting point for me, can you expand on your thoughts?

They just seem more comfy less noticeable, probably as they go in the ear more and stem is way shorter "shrugs"

davsug

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Picked mine up this morning. Have had AirPods since they launched, and got the V2s as soon as I could, then also picked up Powerbeat Pros for when I run. I’ll be eBaying both my Powerbeats and V2 AirPods and keeping the AirPod pros. Fit and sound are definitely better than the basic AirPods, and with the ANC I find the sound better than the Beats.

Really impressed with the ease of use for turning the ANC on and off. The force touch area on the stems does take some getting used to but it works well. Travelled on a cross country flight with them today and the ANC really did blow be away, especially considering how small they are.

iwoodland

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
After more use these are a keeper for me:

1. BT range is amazing, tested 25m before dropping out way further than my AP2, can get all around outside my house.
2. Very comfy for long periods and left ear doesn't fall out lol. The shorter stem helps, and not as bad to look at.
3. Connection seems easier/better. Better in your ear on a pillow.
4. NC next to my solar inverter is about 50% quiter, only constant hum i have to test here.
5. Tip for those finding hard to get out of case, push finger into the lid hole and pull back the AirPods toward you.

So the things that annoyed me with my AP2 are solved, would be nicer at $299AUD instead of $399 :)

Thanks for the tip - just tried it and it works great lol! I think they’re amazing!

iwoodland

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a question about AirPods in general if someone know’s the answer. I had all versions of the AirPods and now the pro’s.

If i’m listening to music on my Apple Watch and stop the music - if i then press play it more often than not starts playing my iPhone music play list rather than my Watch music list that was just playing. Anyone else noticed this or know a fix?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I exchanged my AirPods Pro this morning & the process was seamless. Hopefully, there’s no issues with calls. I’ll keep y’all posted!

davsug

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Picked mine up this morning. Have had AirPods since they launched, and got the V2s as soon as I could, then also picked up Powerbeat Pros for when I run. I’ll be eBaying both my Powerbeats and V2 AirPods and keeping the AirPod pros. Fit and sound are definitely better than the basic AirPods, and with the ANC I find the sound better than the Beats.

Really impressed with the ease of use for turning the ANC on and off. The force touch area on the stems does take some getting used to but it works well. Travelled on a cross country flight with them today and the ANC really did blow be away, especially considering how small they are.

After using them much more today, including on a run in the rain, multiple business phone calls, and listening to music while landscapers were loud outside my window, I have to say they’re amazing. Totally replace my airpods and powerbeat pros combined. Sound is great, ANC is pretty damn magical, and the size is perfect. Only gripe is I’m struggling a bit with getting them out of the case but I’ll get used to that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro