AirPods 2nd Generation - What will it take for you to upgrade?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the rumors are true about Apple introducing the AirPods 2, what would it take for you to upgrade from your current pair of AirPods?

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Price and improvements! If it's over $200 I'll have to take it into consideration. Almost 3 years later and the smooth functionality of my airpods are not what they once were. If the improvements are very small compared to the original release I'll buy the 1st Gen and save the bit of money.

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Longer battery life. Touch Buttons on the side like to be able to get Siri and pause.

I know version 1 has some feature where you either take one out of your ear or press it and it will pause.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If the rumors are true about Apple introducing the AirPods 2, what would it take for you to upgrade from your current pair of AirPods?

I will upgrade regardless of anything.
I love my current AirPods and I’m sure I’ll love the new ones more.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Price and improvements! If it's over $200 I'll have to take it into consideration. Almost 3 years later and the smooth functionality of my airpods are not what they once were. If the improvements are very small compared to the original release I'll buy the 1st Gen and save the bit of money.

My feelings about it is more inline with yours. My current AirPods are still going strong without any issues, however, if there’s a significant improvement to both sound and functionality then I’ll consider upgrading. If not, I’ll continue with what I have.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
If the rumors are indeed true about the new version of AirPods coming in a BLACK color, I will be getting a pair.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
My feelings about it is more inline with yours. My current AirPods are still going strong without any issues, however, if there’s a significant improvement to both sound and functionality then I’ll consider upgrading. If not, I’ll continue with what I have.

Humm, your AirPods battery is still good? I'm an early adaptor and I'm lucky if I get 30 minutes of usage out of mine (the case is still good)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Longer battery life. Touch Buttons on the side like to be able to get Siri and pause.

I know version 1 has some feature where you either take one out of your ear or press it and it will pause.

For ‘me’, battery life is not an issue, especially when the charging case can recharge then to capacity within minutes, but I’m one who typically use only one at a time. I only listen to music with them on occasion, especially at work, but I’ve been so swamped with projects to where I don’t have the time to even do that now.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Humm, your AirPods battery is still good? I'm an early adaptor and I'm lucky if I get 30 minutes of usage out of mine (the case is still good)

I guess than can depend on moderate to heavy usage. I know I use mine heavily m-f, I may get 2.5 -3 hours with music depending on volume, Call time roughly an hour. Also semi lost the ability to put in another airpods and it connect to switch to stereo over mono, I have to take both airpods out wait for a disconnection then put both in *.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the rumors are indeed true about the new version of AirPods coming in a BLACK color, I will be getting a pair.

I hear ya. Getting the AirPods in black will definitely be tempting for me, but color alone will not cause ‘me’ to rush out and upgrade. Know what a I mean?

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm going to need a new pair of AirPods soon since my charging case isn't holding a charge as well as it use to due to daily heavy usage. Also my left AirPod only will no longer charge to 100% more like 96-97% tops and the overall battery life has diminished compared to when they were new. Now I have to charge up my charging case when it falls below 50% because it will no longer fully charge my AirPods if the case is below that threshold. So it's the perfect time for me to spring for AirPods 2nd gen.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
For me, I think the sound quality would need to be greatly improved. Without the sound improvement, I'll likely stick with my "series 1." When the batteries degrade too much, it will depend on the cost difference between "replacing" the battery and a the new Airpods. I've had my AirPods for over 2 years now and the battery in each "Pod" has lost capacity, but not to the point I'm ready to replace them.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I don’t have the first gen but am intrigued by them. My main concern is whether or not they’ll stay in my ears, and of course, the price!

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
As of right now, considering is all I’ll be doing with regard to second gen AirPods. My first gen AirPods still last a good long time so I can’t see a reason to upgrade.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
They need better software, similar to the Galaxy Wear app that controls the Galaxy Buds. You can use a limited equalizer (5 settings), and completely program the tap functions.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I’ve never owned AirPods because they don’t stay in my ears when my hair is down. I’ve been using the Bose Soundsport Frees, which I absolutely love, but I would buy AirPods if they came in black & I could find some black & the fit was a little better.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It won't take much for me to upgrade since I lost my AirPods last week. So if after March 25th there is an event that introduces AirPods 2 for purchase, I'll go ahead and buy them. Otherwise, I'll just buy the current AirPods again.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm right there with you. It is for this reason why I'll be upgrading regardless. But my hope is there are battery life improvements. Audio improvements would be nice too.

I personally feel like Apple could do a better job in the 2nd gen in ensuring the longevity of the battery in the AirPods. I've seen A LOT of folks comment on how their batteries haven't aged well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR