Working out with Airpods

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Before anyone jumps on me for being stupid, let me just say that I am not mad and don't blame Apple. I am just sharing to hopefully save someone else some cash.

I have had my AirPods since February 2017. I have used them everyday for just about everything including working out. However, for really intense workouts where I knew I would be sweating a lot, I used my PowerBeats until they finally bit it about a month ago. Since then I starting using my AirPods for all workouts. Well this past week they started acting up. One AirPod wouldn't connect and then the other. A few days later they wouldn't connect to any device at all. I can only assume it has to do with sweat getting into the AirPods since that is the only change that has been made in my usage. I got a solid 18 months out of them and will be getting another pair. I just figured I would share in case anyone else was wondering how sweatproof they were. Light workouts seem to be ok, but if you are really working up a sweat, find something else. I recommend the Jabra 65T Elite Actives. They are awesome.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Ok. Before anyone jumps on me for being stupid, let me just say that I am not mad and don't blame Apple. I am just sharing to hopefully save someone else some cash.

I have had my AirPods since February 2017. I have used them everyday for just about everything including working out. However, for really intense workouts where I knew I would be sweating a lot, I used my PowerBeats until they finally bit it about a month ago. Since then I starting using my AirPods for all workouts. Well this past week they started acting up. One AirPod wouldn't connect and then the other. A few days later they wouldn't connect to any device at all. I can only assume it has to do with sweat getting into the AirPods since that is the only change that has been made in my usage. I got a solid 18 months out of them and will be getting another pair. I just figured I would share in case anyone else was wondering how sweatproof they were. Light workouts seem to be ok, but if you are really working up a sweat, find something else. I recommend the Jabra 65T Elite Actives. They are awesome.

People have accidentally put their AirPods with their jeans in the washer and they survived.
I sincerely doubt that sweat is the culprit.
Did you try resetting them?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
People have accidentally put their AirPods with their jeans in the washer and they survived.
I sincerely doubt that sweat is the culprit.
Did you try resetting them?

Yes. A have attempted resetting them a number of times. I’m just sharing a story. Take it or leave it. I’m sure you’re right. Probably had nothing to do with sweat. 🤷🏼*♂️

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes. A have attempted resetting them a number of times. I’m just sharing a story. Take it or leave it. I’m sure you’re right. Probably had nothing to do with sweat. *

I’m not arguing. Just pointing out something others have experienced.

Hopefully the Genius at the AppleStore can be of more help.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I’m not arguing. Just pointing out something others have experienced.

Hopefully the Genius at the AppleStore can be of more help.

I’m sorry. I wasn’t arguing either. Lol. I ran a pair of Powerbeats through the washer and they survived. I think you made a good point. Sweat was the only thing I could think of that had changed recently so I just made that connection.

I will stop at the Apple store and see if they can help though. You never know.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m sorry. I wasn’t arguing either. Lol. I ran a pair of Powerbeats through the washer and they survived. I think you made a good point. Sweat was the only thing I could think of that had changed recently so I just made that connection.

I will stop at the Apple store and see if they can help though. You never know.

Keep us posted. I have had mine since launch day and am very interested in others findings and issues.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Keep us posted. I have had mine since launch day and am very interested in others findings and issues.

Will do. If these don’t start working then the question becomes, buy now or wait and see if Apple updates them??? We know a wireless charging case is coming. I don’t care about that too much but if they updated the AirPods, that would be worth waiting for.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Will do. If these don’t start working then the question becomes, buy now or wait and see if Apple updates them??? We know a wireless charging case is coming. I don’t care about that too much but if they updated the AirPods, that would be worth waiting for.

Apple is unpredictable. You’ll never know if and when they’ll release the updated version and what those updates will be.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Update...they are working again!!!! Not sure why or how. I tried resetting them one more time before going to the Apple store today and they connected. I’ve made a few phone calls and listened to my podcasts this morning. So we will see. Either way, I’ll use my Jabra for workouts. They are just better for that, but boy did I miss my AirPods for everything else.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Update...they are working again!!!! Not sure why or how. I tried resetting them one more time before going to the Apple store today and they connected. I’ve made a few phone calls and listened to my podcasts this morning. So we will see. Either way, I’ll use my Jabra for workouts. They are just better for that, but boy did I miss my AirPods for everything else.

Glad to hear this. I’m happy for you.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Happy to hear your AirPods are working again. Interesting though because I'm a runner and I've been using mine daily since June 2017 with no issues so far. However I do wear a fabric headband when I workout/run that basically soaks up majority of the sweat from around my forehead. So maybe that's the difference since my AirPods really don't come into contact with my sweat or very little at best. Either way I'm glad yours are back in action and you have another option to wear during your workouts to avoid future problems again with your AirPods.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Happy to hear your AirPods are working again. Interesting though because I'm a runner and I've been using mine daily since June 2017 with no issues so far. However I do wear a fabric headband when I workout/run that basically soaks up majority of the sweat from around my forehead. So maybe that's the difference since my AirPods really don't come into contact with my sweat or very little at best. Either way I'm glad yours are back in action and you have another option to wear during your workouts to avoid future problems again with your AirPods.

Thanks. I’m not 100% sure it was sweat. I know plenty of people that workout with them and don’t have an issue. I do really like the Jabra’s more for the gym though so it all worked out.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I use mine all the time when I walk and go on bike rides. Also when on the treadmill. No issues at all. And yes, mine have been in the washer and drier. the airpods themselves survived, but I did have to buy a new case for them.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

Another runner here. I’ve had all sorts of issues and have had them replaced but I don’t think it’s the sweat. I guess it could be .... but I’ve even had issues with the charging case. Even with all the issues I still really like them. My issues have been more with only one bud charging fully. Always makes me mad when i get ready to go run and I hear the low charge sound out of a bud that has been in the case overnight.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
@eyecrispy I’m amazed you’ve stuck it out with your AirPods this long despite all the issues as most would’ve given up and gone with another product. I’ll admit though they’re a runner’s dream having no wires.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
As much as I love the AirPods I couldn’t go back to them for workouts after using the Jabra 65t’s. They sync up just like the AirPods do, even faster in my experience and they have better sound and better controls. I still prefer the AirPods for casual listening and phone calls though as they are lighter and allow outside sound to come through.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
@cwbcpa you have my interest peeked about these Jabra 65t’s you speak so highly of

Just like the AirPods, they are not for everyone. Fortunately for me, unfortunately for my wallet, I happen to like both and have a use for both. I’m now using both daily so I believe both are a good buy.

Definitely worth checking out the Jabras if you like something that will be more secure in your ear, have better sound, have better built in controls and still be very easy to use.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
@eyecrispy I’m amazed you’ve stuck it out with your AirPods this long despite all the issues as most would’ve given up and gone with another product. I’ll admit though they’re a runner’s dream having no wires.

Yes! That’s a large part of it. I was using Vi before that. It was a promising Kickstarter that I backed. I actually liked it a lot but the wires just got to me. I reluctantly tried the AirPods and was shocked they stayed in my ears at all and even more shocked that they didn’t fall out during runs ..... even super windy runs.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Nah, I've punished my AirPods in the gym and they still work perfectly. I have been drenched in sweat and even had them rained hard on when running outside and they still work perfectly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen