In Florida, a man is claiming that his AirPod exploded while working out. He says “then I saw white smoke start billowing out,” removed the AirPod and laid it on a piece of equipment, left to get help and came back to find they had exploded. “It was already like this. It was already popped. I didn’t see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried! You can see flame damage.”

It seems odd to me that we went to get help for a smoking AirPod, and that apparently no one saw it explode. The picture also seems a bit odd, as that seems like far more explosive damage than you typically get from battery "explosions -- which tends to cause more burn damage.

In any case, Apple is investigating and I have to wonder, if it did explode and was undamaged beforehand, if his working out (sweat getting into the electronics) may have caused the problem.
    02-09-2018 02:14 PM
    Its possible he went to grab some water. The damage looked to me like the plastic melted more than an “explosion”.

Like any electronic with these batteries, these things can happen. These batteries are volatile. Its the nature of the beast until someone develops a safer battery.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    02-09-2018 02:40 PM
    The man assumed it “blew up”. He only saw white smoke billowing out of one of the AirPods before he went to get help. Why he went to get help is beyond me....(laughing)....and a bit suspicious.
    02-09-2018 07:50 PM
    I wear mine when I walk, ride my bike, hike and even got caught in the rain a few times. No issues. I'm not saying it won't or didn't happen, just very odd.
    mogelijk likes this.
    02-10-2018 12:50 PM
    The man assumed it “blew up”. He only saw white smoke billowing out of one of the AirPods before he went to get help. Why he went to get help is beyond me....(laughing)....and a bit suspicious.
    TBH lithium based batteries are subjected to auto combustion if defective, and a defective unit could always be sold.
    BTW I had the same idea after reading the news: why you run away from a defective earbuds ???
    mogelijk and Just_Me_D like this.
    02-10-2018 02:32 PM
    Its possible he went to grab some water.
    Except this isn't what he is claiming. He said he saw smoke "billowing" from the AirPod and he went "to get help."

The damage looked to me like the plastic melted more than an “explosion”.

Like any electronic with these batteries, these things can happen. These batteries are volatile. Its the nature of the beast until someone develops a safer battery.
    My issue isn't with the burned portion but rather than it is in a few pieces -- particularly the bottom part of the plastic that is burnt. He's claiming (at least from what I read) that it was this way already when he came back, he just picked up the various pieces. My issue is that the top of the AirPod looks broken off from the bottom with no real burn marks, only the bottom has the burn -- yet he allegedly didn't break it apart. It seems far more likely, at least to me, that he somehow broke the plastic and it then burned up (likely because of damage to the battery when the AirPod cracked/broke).

And I fully agree with you.
    Just_Me_D and Annie_8plus like this.
    02-10-2018 02:33 PM
    That’s what I was thinking.

“Help, my tiny AirPods are smoking! Call 911!”

🤣
    02-10-2018 03:39 PM

🤣
    (Laughing)....yep!
    mogelijk and djrakowski like this.
    02-10-2018 04:08 PM

🤣
    Oh my, that's one of the funniest things I've read in a while... It paints such a ridiculous picture in my mind!

I've seen a few folks wearing AirPods at the gym and I've not seen smoke billowing from a single one of them!
    mogelijk likes this.
    02-10-2018 04:10 PM
    I wearing mine to run and workout everyday and I sweat like crazy. Haven’t had any issues. As with everyone else here .... not saying this didn’t happen, but seems strange.
    02-11-2018 07:56 AM
    Looks like somebody smashed their AirPods in a piece of Gym equipment, and is now trying to guilt Apple into replacing them ... Seriously AirPods don't have nearly enough C-4 in them to blow apart like that.
    Just_Me_D and eyecrispy like this.
    02-11-2018 09:45 AM