Finally gave in to the Airpods - definitely a mixed bag

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Another oddity than I forgot to mention is the multi-device support, or complete lack thereof. Syncing the Bluetooth pairing status across all my devices is a cool idea, but actually switching between devices is uncharacteristically inelegant for Apple.

If I wrap up a webex on my macbook, and then get a call on my phone, the call gets off to an awkward start while I fumble with the settings on the phone to reconnect the headphones. That's not particularly magical for either of us. The same happens if I'm watching a video on the iPad and a call comes in. At first I thought I was just doing something wrong, but now I know its not me. Apple is doing it wrong.

It needs to be smoothen out more for sure and I do hope that Apple will actually release a second gen of the AirPods.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It needs to be smoothen out more for sure and I do hope that Apple will actually release a second gen of the AirPods.

I'll be interested to see what changes there are in iOS 11; while I have it on my iPad, I don't currently have it on a phone. I do know they have separate controls, based on if you tap the left of right AirPod, in iOS 11 -- hopefully there are other changes that help as you move between devices.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
The iOS 11 ability to set a second function is handy. Now when listening to podcasts or audiobooks I can double-tap one of them to go back 15 or 20 seconds if I missed something as well as having pause/play on the other.

Switching devices hasn’t improved at all—I still have to do so manually (what’s the point of the W1 chip?). And my new Windows 10 laptop can’t detect them at all even though it quickly connects to cheapie BT earphones. :(

All that said, I still use them a lot on my iPhone and iPad.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The iOS 11 ability to set a second function is handy. Now when listening to podcasts or audiobooks I can double-tap one of them to go back 15 or 20 seconds if I missed something as well as having pause/play on the other.

Switching devices hasn’t improved at all—I still have to do so manually (what’s the point of the W1 chip?). And my new Windows 10 laptop can’t detect them at all even though it quickly connects to cheapie BT earphones. :(

All that said, I still use them a lot on my iPhone and iPad.

Yeah, I have problems when it comes to my AirPods, it doesn’t connect as “magically” as it’s supposed to.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I decided to pick up a set on Saturday after using my wife's for a few days. I do a lot of walking and wanted to try them to see how they would perform. While I do like the rubber seal inside my ear, I found that I really like that I can listen to music, movies or phone calls and still hear the ambient sound around me. During my walk I was able to hear my music without issue and still hear dogs barking and cars passing by. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance and the comfort in my ears. I did try to shake them lose several times and they stayed in place.

Been streaming Apple Music since 8am this morning, and it's now 2:30pm and they just hit 20%. Not too horrible considering I've been listening to them nonstop for 6.5 hours, and this includes several conference calls. While I'd like to get a full 8 hours, I'm not complaining seeing as how small they are. I just took the right one out and placed it in the charger while still on my conference call on the left one.

While I'm still getting used to them, so far they are not too bad. Worth $160? I really don't know. For that amount of money I'd like all day performance, but for the first version I'm not really complaining.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I find the one feature I love my AirPods for, the most, is for phone calls. The sound quality on phone calls has been great, it truly makes it a handsfree experience, and the person on the other end can hear me clearly. In particularly, if on an extended phone call (as conference calls can often be) I don't have the "fatigue" issues, like the sore ear from having a phone pressed to it.

This isn't to take away from how much I enjoy listening to music with them, just that I've really come to appreciate using them for phone calls.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox