So, I got a pair of AirPods. Very excited.

Charged them up, brought them near to my iPod Touch 6 with 10.3.3, opened the case and.... nothing.

Closed the case, brought them near my iPad Pro 2 12.9" with 10.3.3, opened up the case and.... nothing.

Yeah, no 'pop up' I was promised for easy pairing. No nothing. Very disappointing start so far.

Used the Bluetooth menu to pair the AirPods to my iPad (again, very disappointing the W1 chip isn't doing what it's supposed to) but okay, whatever. Now they're paired.

Bring them to my iPod (which is on the same iCloud account), open the case and... nothing. So, it's not even connected via my iCloud account which the W1 chip, which is the main reason to have AirPods over other bluetooth headsets. Funny thing is I do see the AirPods it via the 'Find my iPhone' app. But, not connecting to my other devices like Apple promoted.

I'm *extremely* disappointed with these AirPods, and I'm probably going to take them back as they're not doing any of the 'Practically Magic' stuff that everybody raves about. I can think of a much better use for $159.
    Last edited by Trigati; 07-28-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    07-28-2017 09:38 PM
    Yeah I would definitely look into it more. My BeatsX had no problem popping up immediately and connecting to my iCloud account. It sounds like maybe the W1 chip isn’t working properly, or there is something else going on. I’ll do some research later on and see if I can find anything on this issue.
    Trigati likes this.
    07-28-2017 09:55 PM
    Much appreciated. It's extremely disappointing when the AirPods store page describes all these magical things that are supposed to happen and states:

"Before you begin

You need at least one of these:
    iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 10.2 or later"

and then the AirPods do nothing magical at all when snapped open near two of the three 'one of these' devices that I own.
    07-28-2017 10:22 PM
    You're supposed to press the button behind the AirPods case to pair it for the very first time
    07-28-2017 11:31 PM
    Yes, I did that. White pulsating light, etc., etc., no magic pairing window popping up on either device. I even made sure to press the button long enough the second time to get the orange 'reset' light.
    07-28-2017 11:58 PM
    From what I can find it seems the easiest options are to unpair the AirPods, log out of iCloud then log back in, hold the reset button on the back of the AirPods case until it flashes amber then let it go white again. If that fails repeat those steps but also reset your network settings. This is of course being sure you’re on iOS 10.2 or higher and macOS Sierra or higher for MacBooks.
    07-29-2017 12:35 AM
    I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your AirPods not connecting easily to your devices. Hopefully it'll get resolved with a simple unpair/reset so you too can feel the magic and not have to return them.
    07-29-2017 07:29 AM
    Pairing the AirPods with my iPhone was as simple as A-B-C for ‘me’. Having said that, reset your network settings and then follow the simple steps to pair the AirPods with your device(s). If that doesn’t work, take them to a nearby Apple Store to either have them swapped out or have one of the geniuses pair it for you.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-29-2017 07:41 AM
    Pairing the AirPods with my iPhone was as simple as A-B-C for ‘me’. Having said that, reset your network settings and then follow the simple steps to pair the AirPods with your device(s). If that doesn’t work, take them to a nearby Apple Store to either have them swapped out or have one of the geniuses pair it for you.
    Pairs easily for me too!
    The problem is, sometimes the AirPods stops working if I'm using it with my MBP. I'll then have to disconnect and reconnect it. Lots of bugs with MBP but it works great on the iPhone.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-29-2017 09:17 AM
    My wife has a then and I've used them. They connect easy enough but for me I prefer the rubber seal in my ear so I don't hear the ambient noises.

I really want a pair of BeatsX but my LG's are still working just fine.
    07-29-2017 09:28 AM
    These things are absolute junk. After connecting them with bluetooth to my iPad (again, no 'magic' opening them up near the device') then deleting them, it warned that it would remove them from my iCloud account. Yeah, okay. None of my other devices can see the damn things via iCloud. (Yes, all my iDevices are on iOS 10.3.3, so its not that its an incompatible OS). I'm definitely not going to be keeping these things if they don't work as Apple advertised. I can get better sounding headphones that don't have the 'magic' W1 chip for a lot less if I'm going to have to go into Bluetooth anyway to pair them with my Apple devices.

And yes, I did log out/in of iCloud, log out/in and reset network settings.. a lot of work for no 'magic'.
    Last edited by Trigati; 07-29-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    07-29-2017 04:57 PM
    These things are absolute junk. After connecting them with bluetooth to my iPad (again, no 'magic' opening them up near the device') then deleting them, it warned that it would remove them from my iCloud account. Yeah, okay. None of my other devices can see the damn things via iCloud. (Yes, all my iDevices are on iOS 10.3.3, so its not that its an incompatible OS). I'm definitely not going to be keeping these things if they don't work as Apple advertised. I can get better sounding headphones that don't have the 'magic' W1 chip for a lot less if I'm going to have to go into Bluetooth anyway to pair them with my Apple devices.

And yes, I did log out/in of iCloud, log out/in and reset network settings.. a lot of work for no 'magic'.
    You can consider going to the Apple store and see what's up.
    07-30-2017 01:07 AM
    Have you considered that they may be defective? The pairing process was seamless for me. I’m not gloating, just stating that what you’re experiencing is very unusual.
    Tartarus and Just_Me_D like this.
    07-30-2017 08:20 AM
    Have you considered that they may be defective? The pairing process was seamless for me. I’m not gloating, just stating that what you’re experiencing is very unusual.
    Right?

Hopefully Apple will offer a replacement
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    07-30-2017 08:59 AM
    Every electronic device can have a bad (pun intended) in the bunch. Just take them back and replace them.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-30-2017 09:26 AM
    Every electronic device can have a bad (pun intended) in the bunch. Just take them back and replace them.
    Very true
    07-30-2017 09:40 AM
    I'm certainly "feeling the magic".
    Last edited by Spencerdl; 07-11-2018 at 10:55 AM.
    07-30-2017 10:28 AM
    The AirPods going to be disappearing and then $160 will be reappearing in their place. That'll be 'magical'.

I have considered they're defective, and I'm not certain that I'm enamored with them enough after this experience to get a replacement set.

I do have a quick favor for people who do have working AirPods though. Can you please check your serial number on Apple's serial number page, https://checkcoverage.apple.com/ and see if it shows up as a good device? I did talk with someone on Apple's support website and the serial number wouldn't show up on his systems, nor on that screen. I don't think Best Buy would get counterfeit AirPods from suppliers, but having the support person surprised the serial number wasn't in the system makes me wonder.
    Last edited by Trigati; 07-30-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    07-30-2017 12:09 PM
    The AirPods going to be disappearing and then $160 will be reappearing in their place. That'll be 'magical'.

I have considered they're defective, and I'm not certain that I'm enamored with them enough after this experience to get a replacement set.

I do have a quick favor for people who do have working AirPods though. Can you please check your serial number on Apple's serial number page, https://checkcoverage.apple.com/ and see if it shows up as a good device? I did talk with someone on Apple's support website and the serial number wouldn't show up on his systems, nor on that screen. I don't think Best Buy would get counterfeit AirPods from suppliers, but having the support person surprised the serial number wasn't in the system makes me wonder.
    That's interesting. We know just about everything is counterfeited these days. While of course BestBuy wouldn't do it directly, I guess some could slip in somehow. Will be interesting to hear what others say about the serial number.
    07-30-2017 12:59 PM
    I do have a quick favor for people who do have working AirPods though. Can you please check your serial number on Apple's serial number page,https://checkcoverage.apple.com/ and see if it shows up as a good device?
    I confirmed the serial number and manufacture date of my AirPods and it checks out on both sites. I purchased mine from Verizon online.
    07-30-2017 02:27 PM
    Super interesting. OK, for someone who has more knowledge about these things than me; what are the chances these are fake? Perhaps the reason there is no magic is because they weren't made in the magic kingdom.
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Spencerdl and cwbcpa like this.
    07-30-2017 02:38 PM
    I confirmed the serial number and manufacture date of my AirPods and it checks out on both sites. I purchased mine from Verizon online.
    Very interesting, because when I run my serial number on that site I get "We’re sorry, but this serial number isn’t valid. Please check your information and try again."

They're definitely going back, I just don't know about getting another pair. I know the store doesn't have them in stock (mine was mail order) and I'm not just going to re-order as I used my reward certificates and would need them to hit my account before I reordered. What's annoying is that an hour after I ordered this pair, the Beats Powerbeats3 went on sale for 80 dollars off.
    07-30-2017 03:19 PM
    Very interesting, because when I run my serial number on that site I get "We’re sorry, but this serial number isn’t valid. Please check your information and try again."

They're definitely going back, I just don't know about getting another pair. I know the store doesn't have them in stock (mine was mail order) and I'm not just going to re-order as I used my reward certificates and would need them to hit my account before I reordered. What's annoying is that an hour after I ordered this pair, the Beats Powerbeats3 went on sale for 80 dollars off.
    That's a bummer! I understand your position though. I hope you end up with something you like and works as advertised straight out of the box. My best to you in whatever you decide.
    07-30-2017 03:48 PM
    I got my Airpods yesterday that I ordered from Best Buy. The serial number showed up as good on the Apple website and I haven't had any issues.
    07-30-2017 08:20 PM

Buys something because it does a certain thing. Get's a defective unit that doesn't do said thing. says "Eh I'm not so sure I liked them anyway."
    07-10-2018 11:19 PM
26 12