Decision Time: Air Pods or Hue Lights?

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I usually buy my Apple gear during school season as I'm a student (taking me forrrrrever. Literally ) and I can't decide on Air Pods or Hue Lights.

If you have Hue Lights, what are some of the pros and cons?

If you have AirPods, what are the pros and cons?

If you have both, if you had to choose between them, which one would you choose and why?

Looking for input from Apple techies.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't have the AirPods (and will probably never get them), but we do have the Hue Lights.

For me personally, the Hue Lights in conjunction with either Siri or Alexa adds a lot of convenience, and in some respects adds to my quality of life (ie; being able to turn on all the lights in the house from my phone if I'm alone and hear a noise somewhere else in the house);

1: Having kitchen lights come on automatically (geo-fencing) when I come in range of my home either coming back from vacation, or coming back from the grocery store.

2: Having some lights on timers: upstairs hallway is super dark, and having a table lamp turn on at dusk and off at bedtime is one less thing in my daily schedule I have to worry about. Setting up all the lights on timers while we're on vacation, and if you have an Apple TV it can act as a base where you can remotely control the lights in your home.

3: Turning the lights on in the basement from my phone two floors up gives me a feeling of safety when I have to go down there to do laundry.

4: Being able to use either Siri or Alexa to turn lights on when your arms or hands are full.

5: Setting ambient lights in the living room for movies, ambient lights for romance in the bedroom, or different lighting scenes for working in my home office all from my phone or Alexa is super convenient.

There's many more reasons to go with the Hue Lights. For me personally, and I know some may not share the same view and that's OK, getting the Hue Lights instead of AirPods is a no-brainer. As of right now I have not found any cons with the Hue Lights.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
@trw1602 , I think it comes down to what you enjoy more. I personally love listening to music so the Air Pods would definitely be the winner for me. I don't mind having to get up to turn a light on. 😃

That being said, if you happy to just use your iPhone to play music and getting up off the couch or moving around is difficult for you (disabled), then I would definitely recommend the Hue Lights. They are super cool and I honestly wish I had some. 😃

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Lights?...Who uses lights anymore. The electric company is making a killing already (LOL). I normally have two lights on, Bedroom lamp and over the kitchen sink. Get the AirPods and be done with it...LOL.
More on a serious note. Everyone lives differently and the Hue Lights are VERY KOOL. I say get both, you don't have to get them at the same time. Just like the childhood candy ...Now&Later. Good Luck with your decision.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Lights?...Who uses lights anymore. The electric company is making a killing already (LOL). I normally have two lights on, Bedroom lamp and over the kitchen sink. Get the AirPods and be done with it...LOL.
More on a serious note. Everyone lives differently and the Hue Lights are VERY KOOL. I say get both, you don't have to get them at the same time. Just like the childhood candy ...Now&Later. Good Luck with your decision.
Hue bulbs are quite eco-friendly though they do cost more

I'll echo everything @Sherry_B said about the lights. If you're just controlling with your phone (in the app), you'll drive yourself crazy, but with Siri/Alexa it's a whole other level. You can get hardware switches too but those add an additional cost.

If you're thinking about either, eventually you'll get both and be happy with them! ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2