AirPods or BeatsX??????

Matador

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am looking for some advice.....I think I have narrowed my purchase down to the AirPods or the BeatsX. I will be using them for running.

Who has used both? Which do you prefer?

Thanks,

Matador

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since we don't know how well AirPods stay in your ear, I'm going to recommend the Beats X since you'll be using them for running purposes.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly what I would say. The AirPods stay in my ears great for running and any other workout, but that may not be the case for you.

You could always go try the AirPods and see how they fit, but until you do real world activities you won't know for sure.

Matador

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, i picked up a pair of AirPods tonight....I will try them out and see how they work for me. Pretty decent sound so far :)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Another thing to keep in mind is the BeatsX are meant for active workouts. The AirPods aren't so much marketed towards that. The BeatsX are sweat resistant whereas the AirPods aren't. For what you're wanting to do, I'd recommend the BeatsX.

Matador

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
According to the Beats website the BeatsX are not sweat resistant....you need to go to the Powerbeats for that. I just not sure I will like the cord behind my neck.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
According to the Beats website the BeatsX are not sweat resistant....you need to go to the Powerbeats for that. I just not sure I will like the cord behind my neck.

I have used the Powerbeats 2 for a couple years now and always like them, but after using the AirPods it's tough to go back to having any cord at all hanging around my neck.

Sophos

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
AirPods are pretty great. I bought a pair for my GF and all their little "extra" features are cool.
I ended up going with the beatsX for myself because I do a lot of physical outdoors activities (mountain biking, snowboarding etc) and 1) I was afraid I'd lose one or both of the pods. 2) even though they seem fairly secure in the ear I'm not sure they would endure through an entire day of me whipping my head around. 3) With a helmet on there is no way to control music playback or access Siri.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have used the Powerbeats 2 for a couple years now and always like them, but after using the AirPods it's tough to go back to having any cord at all hanging around my neck.

I bought and returned the beats, have Jaybirds, and AirPods. Honestly, they're all great products.

If I'm AirPod fanboy it's because:

1. No cables are SO nice.
2. I prefer hearing more of my surroundings.
3. AirPods are probably the best ever remote devices for phone conversations.
4 Keep repeating "No cables are SO nice." and "The best ever remote devices for phone conversations."

FWIW, EarPods would not stay in my ear as well as AirPods. The AirPods are staying in for the runs I do and during the stretches and calisthenics I do before a run.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I bought and returned the beats, have Jaybirds, and AirPods. Honestly, they're all great products.

If I'm AirPod fanboy it's because:

1. No cables are SO nice.
2. I prefer hearing more of my surroundings.
3. AirPods are probably the best ever remote devices for phone conversations.
4 Keep repeating "No cables are SO nice." and "The best ever remote devices for phone conversations."

FWIW, EarPods would not stay in my ear as well as AirPods. The AirPods are staying in for the runs I do and during the stretches and calisthenics I do before a run.

I had Jaybirds a couple years ago and wanted so badly to like them. The sounds was good and the concept was great, but they just didn't stay in my ears no matter what combo of buds and wings I used. That was when I tried he PowerBeats despite my thoughts on Beats.

I am as shocked as anyone at how much I like the AirPods. I never thought I would even try them let alone actually use them every single day, many times during the day. Like you, the EarPods would not stay in my ears very well while the AirPods have never fallen out. It really is a very cool piece of tech.

mstacheef

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I love my AirPods more than just about any tech product I've purchased in 5 years. Use them every day for lots of different activities, and I have run with them(using just one which is a great option). My main issue for running is lack of music and volume controls. I tend to forward through my playlist and rewind songs when running, so they're not practical for me. BeatsX would definitely be my choice, although I prefer the Powerbeats for running because the cord is much smaller. If it's one or the other and you can't buy both, and it's JUST for running, id go BeatsX, but if you're going to use them as daily headset for calls and around town also, id go with the AirPods, as long as you test out the fit first.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I love my AirPods more than just about any tech product I've purchased in 5 years. Use them every day for lots of different activities, and I have run with them(using just one which is a great option). My main issue for running is lack of music and volume controls. I tend to forward through my playlist and rewind songs when running, so they're not practical for me. BeatsX would definitely be my choice, although I prefer the Powerbeats for running because the cord is much smaller. If it's one or the other and you can't buy both, and it's JUST for running, id go BeatsX, but if you're going to use them as daily headset for calls and around town also, id go with the AirPods, as long as you test out the fit first.
definitely have to get them the next time isinstock says they're available ;)

websyndicate

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I was able to purchase a set of AirPods in store and I purchased a set of BeatsX for my wife. I tested the beatsX and I did like them but end of day I like the cordless feature of the AirPods for me. The sound of the AirPods is full and felt like it had the right balance. If you want simple but awesome AirPods. If you wanted no background noise get the BeatsX. If I still had my old job I would rocking the beatsX for the fact of less background sound.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

It's occurred to me that my Apple Watch and the AirPods make an overall sound system. The watch is control panel for what the AirPods don't have. It was also the control panel before the AirPods arrived.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
definitely have to get them the next time isinstock says they're available ;)

Go figure... so I keep checking the local store (near work) and all day they say "May 1". I leave and start heading home when they show "Available". I won't be back to the office for a couple days so I skipped it. I'll keep an eye out still lol

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Go figure... so I keep checking the local store (near work) and all day they say "May 1". I leave and start heading home when they show "Available". I won't be back to the office for a couple days so I skipped it. I'll keep an eye out still lol

Checking at random times today and about 2 minutes after my last check I got an email from iStockNow and will be picking up my AirPods in about 4 hours when I'm off from work.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Checking at random times today and about 2 minutes after my last check I got an email from iStockNow and will be picking up my AirPods in about 4 hours when I'm off from work.

Nice. Let us know what you think. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I picked mine up on February 8th and they have not left my possession since. I carry them everywhere with me and use them all the time. Besides the iPhone 7 Plus itself it is my most used piece of tech.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Nice. Let us know what you think. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I picked mine up on February 8th and they have not left my possession since. I carry them everywhere with me and use them all the time. Besides the iPhone 7 Plus itself it is my most used piece of tech.

thanks, @cwbcpa ! so far so good, charging them now -- hope to give them a good run tomorrow at the office.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I hated doing it but, since the local stores I tried don't have Beatsx that you can demo, I bought them to see how I like them. This is my opinion based on the units I purchased and how I find them to be different.

The big differences that I see, so far, are the lack of the wires on the Airpods and the Beatsx blocking out the sounds around you. The Beatsx have the inline controls, where you can only do Siri or Pause/Play with the AirPods; though the AirPods connect faster, particularly since you don't have the On/Off button to worry about (the AirPods turn "on" when removed from the case). I've not yet adjusted to turning the Beatsx on. You need to hold the button for a second or two and, after a few seconds you'll get chimes letting you know they have connected. On a couple of occasions I've not been sure if they are just connecting a bit slow or if I didn't hold the On button long enough. By contrast, the AirPods seem to chime as soon as I put them in my ears, little to no delay.

The case for the AirPods is far superior; the case for the Beatsx cannot be "closed" and you have to kind of just shove the Beatsx into that little rubber pouch. Although I am likely being paranoid, it feels to me like just putting the Beatsx in and out of the case will eventually damage them; by contrast the AirPods case offers some real protection. The AirPods case is also less than half the size, so it is very easy to carry in a pocket anytime you go out -- I find I carry mine a lot of the time, since I'm not worried about the "bulk" in my pocket or that they will be damaged.

Battery life on both are solid. The Beatsx gives 8 hours, and can "quick charge" to give a couple of hours of listening time in 5 minutes of charge time. The AirPods only get 5 hours, but will recharge when they are in the case, with the case providing an additional 24 hours worth of charge. Also, you can use only one AirPod while the other charges.

As for sound, I find the sound different but both have fairly good quality -- which you prefer will likely depend on what you are looking for out of headphones. I've been listening to the same music on both, playing the music over and over to try and analyze the differences. The Airpods seem to have a warmer sound than the Beatsx; while the warmth sounds good to me, I think sometimes it is too warm. With the Beats, while sometimes I think it sounds more "true", other times (especially in the lower end of the mid-range) it starts sounding a bit tinny. OTOH, one song I tested starts with a solo sax and the Beatsx sounded very good to me, better than the AirPods. I think, when the sound gets "busy," the Beatsx do a slightly better job of keeping the sounds separate and clear, the AirPods on some occassions seemed to start to get a bit muddy (not bad, just not as clear as the Beats); but this only seemed to be on some songs, I haven't identified yet what kind of sounds seems to bother the AirPods).

Neither exaggerates the bass but both play bass well (unless you are wanting your bass line boosted). I'll have to listen more, but it seemed (at least on some songs) as if bass was louder on the AirPods than on the Beatsx. While I still want to do more comparisons; I think which sounds better will depend on the individual, and what they prefer from speakers. Neither are going to equal the best Bluetooth headsets; then again, either of these cost less and have smaller speakers.

In terms of making phone calls, the AirPods win easily. My one attempt at making a phone call outdoors with the Beatsx, though there was no real wind, just a mild breeze, the mic sounded like I was in high winds; I could not be heard on the other end over the wind. By contrast, the AirPods have worked really well for phone calls, as if you aren't using any type of earpiece/headphone.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either, it just depends on which work for your needs. First, obviously, it depends on if the AirPods fit your ears well. Next, if you will wear them while exercising and what type of exercise you do; the Beats are likely to stay in better, and are "safer" (less likely to lose) if you are outdoors, but the cord could get in your way for some activities. Next, if you want background noise blocked out or still want to be able to hear what is going on around you. You then have to consider if the lack of inline controls is a deal breaker; and I'll second the idea that the AirPods with an Apple Watch is a great combination, since the Watch can act as your inline controls. It just depends on what you want from your wireless earbuds.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods