Do AirPods make you look stupid?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Not to mention, Apple still can't keep the AirPods in stock after 8 months. The demand is clearly there for this type of product, even if it makes you look "silly."

Well, like I said, I don't claim to be representative, but I have never seen the earpods in use. I have occasionally seen other types of wireless headphones.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't wish to be awkward for the sake of it, but that is really not the last thing that could be inconvenient. In fact, I would say it's one of the first things that could be inconvenient.

Are you for real??? How on earth is charging an headphone once in 2 - 3 days or even in 5-6 days more inconvenient than those cords you have to plug and unplug time after time and fold the cord nicely so it doesn’t get tangled while in your pockets??

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't know where you use the train and the bus (besides Turkey, obviously) but I travel a lot and I have never been on a train or bus where the use of wireless headphones is within two orders of magnitude of 6 people out of 10.

Edit: I actually doubt that the use of headphones of any kind is as high as 6 people out of 10.

I invite you to visit the Netherlands, or Berlin or Brussels.

I live in Amsterdam and every day I see the AirPods more and more. Not as much and often as I’d like for Apple, but still. The existence and acceptance of the AirPods is undeniably visible.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't know where you use the train and the bus (besides Turkey, obviously) but I travel a lot and I have never been on a train or bus where the use of wireless headphones is within two orders of magnitude of 6 people out of 10.

Edit: I actually doubt that the use of headphones of any kind is as high as 6 people out of 10.

Dude, you’re totally missing the point .
You could have easily understand what I mean.
I may have used it wrong but I clearly and obviously meant that out of the 10 people listening to any kind of headphones, 6 of them uses a form of cordless headphones.

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I invite you to visit the Netherlands, or Berlin or Brussels.

I live in Amsterdam and every day I see the AirPods more and more. Not as much and often as I’d like for Apple, but still. The existence and acceptance of the AirPods is undeniably visible.

I have been to two or three of those places in the last year and I absolutely disagree that 6 out of 10 headphone users is using wireless headphones.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Dude, you’re totally lacking any mathematical insight.
You could have easily understand what I mean.
I may have used it wrong but I clearly and obviously meant that out of the 10 people listening to any kind of headphones, 6 of them uses a form of cordless headphones.

You said, and I quote: "6 out of the 10 people in the train and bus have some sort of cordless thingie in/on their ears.". That is very clear. Please immediately withdraw your comment that I am "totally lacking in mathematical insight".

Anyway, I completely disagree that 6 out of 10 headphone users are using wireless headphones on any vaguely typical bus or train.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Are you for real??? How on earth is charging an headphone once in 2 - 3 days or even in 5-6 days more inconvenient than those cords you have to plug and unplug time after time and fold the cord nicely so it doesn’t get tangled while in your pockets??

Because the wired headphones always work, and you don't have to remember to charge them or their little case. Also, when you take the earpods out of your ears, you also have to find the case and put the earpods in the case. That's also somewhat inconvenient.

Wires are not super convenient either, of course, but with a little practice you can wind it around your hand in a couple of seconds and stow it in your bag or pocket.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You said, and I quote: "6 out of the 10 people in the train and bus have some sort of cordless thingie in/on their ears.". That is very clear. Please immediately withdraw your comment that I am "totally lacking in mathematical insight".
Done

Anyway, I completely disagree that 6 out of 10 headphone users are using wireless headphones on any vaguely typical bus or train.
Maybe I’m more observant.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Because the wired headphones always work, and you don't have to remember to charge them or their little case. Also, when you take the earpods out of your ears, you also have to find the case and put the earpods in the case. That's also somewhat inconvenient.

Wires are not super convenient either, of course, but with a little practice you can wind it around your hand in a couple of seconds and stow it in your bag or pocket.

It’s AirPods for the wireless headphones and EarPods for the wired ones. By using this incorrectly, you are confusing anyone by making it harder to follow.

Maybe I’m just that awesome but my AirPods case is always one single handling away from me.
Always in my left jacket pocket or jeans pocket.
Never had to look for them.
One could even argue the finding of the wired headphones have the same inconvenience.

I guess I’m trying to say that you’re out to argue here and that’s not a nice trait to have.

Sorry that I got carried away in this.

I wish you well.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
It’s AirPods for the wireless headphones and EarPods for the wired ones. By using this incorrectly, you are confusing anyone by making it harder to follow.

Maybe I’m just that awesome but my AirPods case is always one single handling away from me.
One could even argue the finding of the wired headphones have the same inconvenience.

I guess I’m trying to say that you’re out to argue here and that’s not a nice trait to have.

I wish you well.

I'm here to argue?!

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I would feel stupid because it will only be a matter of time til I lose one or both.

They look better than wired headphones though.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I would feel stupid because it will only be a matter of time til I lose one or both.

They look better than wired headphones though.

I’m one to lose a lot of personal stuff. Luckily, in the 8 months I’ve had the AirPods, this was not the case regarding them.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I wish you well.

I've got to agree with the AirPods being very convenient, just pull the case out of my pocket and place them in the case. It was more work for me with wired headphones, needing to wind the cord -- much less the times I had to untangle the wires if I wasn't careful winding the cord.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Well let's look out next week and report back. Just to be clear - do you want to stand by your claim that 60% of headphone users on trains and buses are using wireless headphones of some kind?

Results so far - from an InterCity-type train journey at the weekend between two cities in Western Europe...

Wired headphones: 26
Wireless headphones (large, over-ear-plus-headband style): 3 (*)
Wireless headphones (in ear, earpod style): 0 (#)

(*): This may be overcounted - I thought I saw one more, but when the wearer moved their head a cable came into view. Others may also have been wired.
(#): It is possible that some people with long hair or headscarves were using earpod style headphones - if you can't see someone's ears, this type is invisible. However, you can see most people's ears.

I will be travelling quite a lot this week, and will report back.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have to ask, is this all really necessary? I scour these forums almost daily and can tell you without a doubt that different people in different geographic areas have different experiences. It is was it is. Let’s move on with the conversation.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I have to ask, is this all really necessary? I scour these forums almost daily and can tell you without a doubt that different people in different geographic areas have different experiences. It is was it is. Let’s move on with the conversation.

That's what we're trying to do. I was specifically interested in the claim that 6 out of 10 people on buses and trains (later clarified to 6 out of 10 headphone wearers) use wireless headphones of some description.

Also, I am not prepared to say precisely where my count took place, but it's not necessarily a different geographical area to the above claims.

It's not compulsory to read a thread if you're not interested in its subject.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not compulsory to read a thread if you're not interested in its subject.

As a moderator of this forum it’s my duty to read threads, even if I’m not interested in the subject matter, and keep things in topic. The subject of this particular thread is “Do AirPods make you look stupid?”, and has nothing to do with how many people are or aren’t wearing them on whatever trains you’re riding.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro