Do AirPods make you look stupid?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I thought they looked stupid when I first saw them, but now that I have seen them in person a few times, I don't feel that way at all. I will be getting some myself at some point. I think it's just new. They look like regular iPhone headphones, but without a cord. Most people don't think the wired headphones look stupid. Personally, I can't wait to ditch that stupid wire for good. I already ditched it in the gym. Time to ditch it for phone calls too. (My PowerBeats 2 don't do very well on phone calls so I use the iPhone EarPods.)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised people think they look "silly" or "stupid". Have people forgotten the huge bluetooth headsets that covered half of someones face? Lol. The extra long mic extensions? I remember selling Motorola bluetooth headsets with the large base that wrapped around the ear and the mic extension that came just above the users mid cheek. These Air Pods honestly don't look weird or silly to me at all considering bluetooth headphones are nothing new. This is simply a new take on the idea that removes the wires for stereo listening.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Nope and frankly, I don't care. They are from Apple and they are different. Isn't t that Apple's slogan anyway, Think Different!?

Not since 2002! ;)

I'm torn... stuck on the $$ and how they'd look. Maybe the Spigen lanyard would help. I've seen @Tartarus with his and I definitely don't want that (lol)

fourthbase

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Yes - it's the main reason I won't be buying them. The tech to have wireless earbuds sans stem is already here so how out of date with they look in 3 years? No wires = huge plus. Price point = acceptable. But I just can't get over how ugly they are.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'd take the PowerBeats 3 with longer battery life, the W1 chip, and better design over the AirPods any day. I tried the AirPods and I just looked weird. The headphones just stuck out, and they don't blend in.

josepilot81

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Does people look stupid talking to Siri....does people look......this is all on you men! For me is useful so is ok. Don't worry about other people thoughts. There is always one who thinks bad on you wathever you do.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As moderator it's your obligation to have them
Obviously, I didn't get that memo...(laughing)...James, what's up with that?....
On a serious note: the stems being shorter would lead to shorter battery usage, which we don't want, obviously.

Good point, but aesthetically, a shorter stem would be more appealing to "me". Know what I mean?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I tried the AirPods and I just looked weird.
Don't go blaming stuff for that. No any tech can help you
The headphones just stuck out, and they don't blend in.

You're obviously in awe of the Samsung in ear thingies with built in storage. I'd say try the AirPods out for a few more minutes and if you're not sold by the quality than buy anything else you like.

But speaking on a personal note, other people's opinion won't ever stop me from buying anything Apple.

knoxDavid

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I would like to see them in black as that would stand out less (I have dark hair). But I also think people will get used to them and it will seem to be just a normal pair of earphones eventually.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
If your reason for not buying them is that you think they make you look stupid then perhaps you have the issue because you think strangers are judging you and you're actually bothered by this. For about the first 10 minutes of wearing them I did feel a bit strange with them, then I had a word with myself that I was being crazy and paranoid and haven't given it a thought since. If you want to miss out on the newest tech because you worry about the opinions of strangers then it's your loss; I'll go with the new stuff.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Don't go blaming stuff for that. No any tech can help you

You're obviously in awe of the Samsung in ear thingies with built in storage. I'd say try the AirPods out for a few more minutes and if you're not sold by the quality than buy anything else you like.

But speaking on a personal note, other people's opinion won't ever stop me from buying anything Apple.

Those Gear Icon X wireless headphones are some trash. I want something with decent drivers, and a good battery life as well. You don't get that with the Airpods, nor the Gear Icon X. The PowerBeats have decent drivers, but you can easily find better sounding ones for around a 1/4 of the price.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
If your reason for not buying them is that you think they make you look stupid then perhaps you have the issue because you think strangers are judging you and you're actually bothered by this. For about the first 10 minutes of wearing them I did feel a bit strange with them, then I had a word with myself that I was being crazy and paranoid and haven't given it a thought since. If you want to miss out on the newest tech because you worry about the opinions of strangers then it's your loss; I'll go with the new stuff.

I don't care what other people think. The design and the color choice are really weird for me. I prefer the design of the PowerBeats since they actually stay in place.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't think they look as bad as some say. They look like 'normal' wireless earphones to me. There are some earphone that wrap around your whole ear and that doesn't seem to bother anyone. HOWEVER, if you are using a iPad Pro 12.9" and answer a call with it, YES that looks historically funny and stupid lol.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I've avoided wearing other bluetooth headsets in public (my view is that if you would look odd wearing your slippers, you shouldn't be wearing a single ear bluetooth earpiece).

So instead I used both Plantronics Backbeats or my Bose SoundLink Bluetooth On-Ear (I find the over ear Q25/35's to be too hot on my head for walking around/commute).

Now I have my AirPods, I never take anything else with me for my day to day. Yes people look at you a bit funny from time to time (I make a habit of trying not to make phone calls with the AirPods in public still), but I've also had three people ask me what they are (two women and a man) and how they can purchase. I've also quite a few people then open a web browser on their phone and head over to the apple web site to look them up.

They might look odd to some, but I guess I'm just old enough these days not to care :)

PS - Not sure why we would compare AirPods to the Powerbeats3, they are totally different.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Id have to order one of the bands for them like the one that Spigen has. One because it wouldnt be nearly as likely to lose them if they fall out of your ears or something. Two, because it would keep them from looking so ludicrous.

That's what I don't understand. Why not get the Beats X or the PowerBeats 3 which offer than and a longer battery life instead, with the decreased chance of the headphones being lost? With that band, the AirPods become like every wireless headphone product on the market.