I live in Amsterdam and every day I see the AirPods more and more. Not as much and often as I’d like for Apple, but still.
    BTW, that's a slightly odd comment. Why does it matter to you? Are you an Apple shareholder?
    07-14-2017 02:43 PM
    Dude, you’re totally lacking any mathematical insight.
    You could have easily understand what I mean.
    I may have used it wrong but I clearly and obviously meant that out of the 10 people listening to any kind of headphones, 6 of them uses a form of cordless headphones.
    You said, and I quote: "6 out of the 10 people in the train and bus have some sort of cordless thingie in/on their ears.". That is very clear. Please immediately withdraw your comment that I am "totally lacking in mathematical insight".

Anyway, I completely disagree that 6 out of 10 headphone users are using wireless headphones on any vaguely typical bus or train.
    07-14-2017 02:45 PM
    Are you for real??? How on earth is charging an headphone once in 2 - 3 days or even in 5-6 days more inconvenient than those cords you have to plug and unplug time after time and fold the cord nicely so it doesn’t get tangled while in your pockets??
    Because the wired headphones always work, and you don't have to remember to charge them or their little case. Also, when you take the earpods out of your ears, you also have to find the case and put the earpods in the case. That's also somewhat inconvenient.

Wires are not super convenient either, of course, but with a little practice you can wind it around your hand in a couple of seconds and stow it in your bag or pocket.
    07-14-2017 02:48 PM
    BTW, that's a slightly odd comment. Why does it matter to you? Are you an Apple shareholder?
    I like Apple.
    07-14-2017 02:48 PM
    You said, and I quote: "6 out of the 10 people in the train and bus have some sort of cordless thingie in/on their ears.". That is very clear. Please immediately withdraw your comment that I am "totally lacking in mathematical insight".
    Done

Anyway, I completely disagree that 6 out of 10 headphone users are using wireless headphones on any vaguely typical bus or train.
    Maybe I’m more observant.
    07-14-2017 02:50 PM
    Because the wired headphones always work, and you don't have to remember to charge them or their little case. Also, when you take the earpods out of your ears, you also have to find the case and put the earpods in the case. That's also somewhat inconvenient.

Wires are not super convenient either, of course, but with a little practice you can wind it around your hand in a couple of seconds and stow it in your bag or pocket.
    It’s AirPods for the wireless headphones and EarPods for the wired ones. By using this incorrectly, you are confusing anyone by making it harder to follow.

Maybe I’m just that awesome but my AirPods case is always one single handling away from me.
    Always in my left jacket pocket or jeans pocket.
    Never had to look for them.
    One could even argue the finding of the wired headphones have the same inconvenience.

I guess I’m trying to say that you’re out to argue here and that’s not a nice trait to have.

Sorry that I got carried away in this.

I wish you well.
    bchain996 likes this.
    07-14-2017 02:54 PM
    It’s AirPods for the wireless headphones and EarPods for the wired ones. By using this incorrectly, you are confusing anyone by making it harder to follow.

Maybe I’m just that awesome but my AirPods case is always one single handling away from me.
    One could even argue the finding of the wired headphones have the same inconvenience.

I guess I’m trying to say that you’re out to argue here and that’s not a nice trait to have.

I wish you well.
    I'm here to argue?!
    07-14-2017 03:13 PM
    Maybe I’m more observant.
    Well let's look out next week and report back. Just to be clear - do you want to stand by your claim that 60% of headphone users on trains and buses are using wireless headphones of some kind?
    07-14-2017 03:16 PM
    I would feel stupid because it will only be a matter of time til I lose one or both.

They look better than wired headphones though.
    robertk328 likes this.
    07-14-2017 03:31 PM
    I would feel stupid because it will only be a matter of time til I lose one or both.

They look better than wired headphones though.
    I’m one to lose a lot of personal stuff. Luckily, in the 8 months I’ve had the AirPods, this was not the case regarding them.
    knotsure and robertk328 like this.
    07-14-2017 03:32 PM

I wish you well.
    I've got to agree with the AirPods being very convenient, just pull the case out of my pocket and place them in the case. It was more work for me with wired headphones, needing to wind the cord -- much less the times I had to untangle the wires if I wasn't careful winding the cord.
    Tartarus likes this.
    07-14-2017 04:04 PM
    Well let's look out next week and report back. Just to be clear - do you want to stand by your claim that 60% of headphone users on trains and buses are using wireless headphones of some kind?
    Results so far - from an InterCity-type train journey at the weekend between two cities in Western Europe...

Wired headphones: 26
    Wireless headphones (large, over-ear-plus-headband style): 3 (*)
    Wireless headphones (in ear, earpod style): 0 (#)

(*): This may be overcounted - I thought I saw one more, but when the wearer moved their head a cable came into view. Others may also have been wired.
    (#): It is possible that some people with long hair or headscarves were using earpod style headphones - if you can't see someone's ears, this type is invisible. However, you can see most people's ears.

I will be travelling quite a lot this week, and will report back.
    07-17-2017 03:19 AM
    I have to ask, is this all really necessary? I scour these forums almost daily and can tell you without a doubt that different people in different geographic areas have different experiences. It is was it is. Let’s move on with the conversation.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    07-17-2017 06:29 AM
    I have to ask, is this all really necessary? I scour these forums almost daily and can tell you without a doubt that different people in different geographic areas have different experiences. It is was it is. Let’s move on with the conversation.
    That's what we're trying to do. I was specifically interested in the claim that 6 out of 10 people on buses and trains (later clarified to 6 out of 10 headphone wearers) use wireless headphones of some description.

Also, I am not prepared to say precisely where my count took place, but it's not necessarily a different geographical area to the above claims.

It's not compulsory to read a thread if you're not interested in its subject.
    07-17-2017 06:39 AM
    It's not compulsory to read a thread if you're not interested in its subject.
    As a moderator of this forum it’s my duty to read threads, even if I’m not interested in the subject matter, and keep things in topic. The subject of this particular thread is “Do AirPods make you look stupid?”, and has nothing to do with how many people are or aren’t wearing them on whatever trains you’re riding.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    07-17-2017 07:52 AM
    That's what we're trying to do. I was specifically interested in the claim that 6 out of 10 people on buses and trains (later clarified to 6 out of 10 headphone wearers) use wireless headphones of some description.

Also, I am not prepared to say precisely where my count took place, but it's not necessarily a different geographical area to the above claims.

How can you say that if you haven’t been riding in subways, trains and buses all over the world? You specifically mentioned Europe. That’s fine, and if that’s your experience there, so be it, but don’t blindly assume that your experience is the same worldwide, especially if you haven’t been to places around the world to witness for yourself. I live in Orlando, FL. and I see both wired and wireless headsets everywhere. The kids are the ones I typically see wearing wired headsets (mostly Beats) and they’re usually listening to music. Wireless headsets are typically seen in conjunction with people talking on their smartphones. Wireless headsets from Plantronics, Jabra, Motorola, Samsung and Apple are the ones I see the most, but that’s “here” in Orlando.
    07-17-2017 07:54 AM
    I’ve gotten used to it... so no :P
    Spencerdl likes this.
    07-19-2017 07:28 AM
    As a moderator of this forum it’s my duty to read threads, even if I’m not interested in the subject matter, and keep things in topic. The subject of this particular thread is “Do AirPods make you look stupid?”, and has nothing to do with how many people are or aren’t wearing them on whatever trains you’re riding.
    I disagree. Firstly, it's hard to judge whether a product makes the user look stupid without seeing people wearing it. Secondly, it was claimed by various people up the thread that vast numbers of people now use wireless headphones *specifically in places that I visit*, and that simply doesn't match my experience - which BTW includes using public transport in three continents in the last six months.

My experience travelling last week was interesting. I visited a couple of major, rich western European cities and used intercity and local public transport. I gave up counting headphone users in general. A small percentage use wireless headphones, I guess the 10% figure I counted last weekend is in the right order of magnitude. With two exceptions, these are all the large over-ear-with-headband style. However, I did see two people using in-ear airpod style headphones.

One set were black - it's possible they were actually a hearing aid as they were that kind of shape, but I don't think so.

And one set were airpods! The first I have seen in the wild. Actually I was a little bit suspicious of them. Apple's white plastic is quite distinctive - it looks shiny and gives the impression of being high quality. These had a rather cheap look about them, so maybe they were knock offs. The user was a middle age white guy, though, so I'm guessing they were genuine.

To be very strictly on topic - I thought the probable airpods made the user look a bit silly. "Stupid" might be overdoing it.
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 07-24-2017 at 03:23 PM.
    07-24-2017 07:52 AM
143 ... 456