Do AirPods make you look stupid?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
lol apologies on the silly question, but having spent a week in Vegas for CES it's actually somewhat a serious one. I saw a number of folks wearing AirPods on the show floor, and more than once (multiple times really) I had friends and colleagues comment to the effect of 'man, do those ever look stupid'.

What say you? Do you think wearing AirPods makes you look... you know, silly? Or do you think they look hot? Or better yet, do you even care?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I have had the opportunity to see people using them on several occasions and I am indifferent to how they look. I do love the idea behind them. I think once they are seen more frequently in use people will become accustomed to them. Even more so once third party ones start appearing. If they were more of a neutral colour instead of white it might make a difference in how people would view them.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I personally don't care. It might be an odd sight at first, especially if people are not sure of what AirPods are. But as Bluetooth headphones begin to gain popularity in the wireless format then people will get used to seeing them and not think twice about how they (or the users) look.

And by wireless I mean without the neck band thing. A lot of people use those so that's not an uncommon sight (imo).

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have had the opportunity to see people using them on several occasions and I am indifferent to how they look. I do love the idea behind them. I think once they are seen more frequently in use people will become accustomed to them. Even more so once third party ones start appearing. If they were more of a neutral colour instead of white it might make a difference in how people feel view them.

That's a good point. If they blended in more (like a hearing aid) I bet you'd hardly notice them.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Nope and frankly, I don't care. They are from Apple and they are different. Isn't t that Apple's slogan anyway, Think Different!?
I like distinguishing myself from others and I have the feeling I'm doing that the good way by using the AirPods.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It's the same with anything "new and different". When I first saw the wrap around neck Bluetooth earbuds, I said the same thing and then when I saw the ones with just the wire around the neck I was thinking the same thing. I eventually tried and have both...LOL . The AirPods definitely look different and will take some getting used to...again.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Nope I don't care. Lol. I actually ordered skins today from slickwraps that protect the case as well as the AirPods themselves. I ordered black. I'll come back and post a picture once I get them on. Here's a link to them
https://www.slickwraps.com/devices/cool-stuff/apple/airpods.html

Same here and I also ordered the black (50% off Sale). Still trying to figure out why it hasn't shipped yet. Thanks for reminding me. I will be giving them a call today.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think they look like dog whistles hanging from the ears. They're just not for me. I doubt they would stay in my ears well enough anyways. I haven't found any pods or buds that do. I'm happy with my Bluetooth over the head headphones.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a few minutes before I walk inside and start working. I'm still on the fence about getting them. As stated a while back, if they had been released on time, I would have purchased them already. Anyway, in regard to the thread question, I think they may look silly on some people and not look silly on others. Personally, I wish the stems were shorter, but it's not a deal breaker or anything.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
People used to think others with "phablets" looked silly. Now its the norm if not the majority to see folks with big phones ... give it a few, there's already an armful of copycats hitting the market ...

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a few minutes before I walk inside and start working. I'm still on the fence about getting them. As stated a while back, if they had been released on time, I would have purchased them already. Anyway, in regard to the thread question, I think they may look silly on some people and not look silly on others. Personally, I wish the stems were shorter, but it's not a deal breaker or anything.

As moderator it's your obligation to have them
On a serious note: the stems being shorter would lead to shorter battery usage, which we don't want, obviously.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Id have to order one of the bands for them like the one that Spigen has. One because it wouldnt be nearly as likely to lose them if they fall out of your ears or something. Two, because it would keep them from looking so ludicrous.

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I do think they look odd, perhaps the shape reminds me of my grandma's big white earrings
Darker colors might help but their shape doesn't look right

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I have yet to see AirPods in the flesh, but here's my take - I don't think they look stupid. How could they? To me, they look like regular earphones with wires, only they lack the wires. So, I really don't see what the big deal is. The only thing I can come up with as to why anyone would say they look stupid isn't so much that they're wireless but maybe because they're white, they stand out more? I personally have always preferred my earphones to be in black. I bet they wouldn't be as noticeable if they were that color.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think Steve Jobs said it best..."in general, people don't know what they want until you give it to them"....something like that anyways. Everyone can't and won't be satisfied.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen