Are AirPods worth $159 USD to you?

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Worth $159? Apparently so, for me, since I just ordered a pair from Verizon where there's no delay or price "premium". I'll get them Wednesday with free two-day shipping. Sometimes Verizon isn't overpriced! Go figure. ;)

I have yet to meet a pair of Bluetooth earbuds or headphones that I didn't think were almost more trouble than they're worth, including one pair with active noise cancellation that cost more than this which I never use--just too much hassle to mess with. I'm hoping the rave reviews aren't just hype and I can finally get some that aren't a PITA to use. We'll see on Wednesday!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I still like my AirPods but find I use my EarPods a good bit right now. For just ease of use (plug them in) they work well. I use them with my MBP a lot so I don't have to connect/disconnect/reconnect. If I want to walk around with my iPhone, I use the AirPods for that. But I won't get rid of my EarPods for now. :)

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Update: After having them for almost three months the answer is "NO", they aren't worth that much money to me. Apple states that they "instantly pair with an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or other Apple device, with seamless switching between iCloud-connected devices" but that has not at all been my experience. I have to manually pair of them about half the time. My $29 Bluetooth headphones do better in that regard.

Two thumbs down!

thedonp

Banned
May 19, 2017
Visit site
Update: After having them for almost three months the answer is "NO", they aren't worth that much money to me. Apple states that they "instantly pair with an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or other Apple device, with seamless switching between iCloud-connected devices" but that has not at all been my experience. I have to manually pair of them about half the time. My $29 Bluetooth headphones do better in that regard.

Two thumbs down!

Mine connect seamlessly with all my Apple products

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Two thumbs down!

I understand what you mean, it is a first generation product after all. But I can tell you that the pairing is way smoother on iOS 11

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I understand what you mean, it is a first generation product after all. But I can tell you that the pairing is way smoother on iOS 11

That's good to hear. It's not like I can sell used earbuds. So I'll hang onto them until iOS 11 and hope that they're better then. I am aware that it works perfectly for some people, but there are other people like me for whom it seldom works right. Very inconsistent quality from Apple.

thedonp

Banned
May 19, 2017
Visit site
That's good to hear. It's not like I can sell used earbuds. So I'll hang onto them until iOS 11 and hope that they're better then. I am aware that it works perfectly for some people, but there are other people like me for whom it seldom works right. Very inconsistent quality from Apple.

Could just have a bad pair. Switch them out under warranty.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Two thumbs down!

I hear you. They don't sync as seamlessly as Apple would have you believe. It's pretty quick with my MacBook though, I just click the volume icon at the top of my screen and switch to AirPods. I have not found a quick way to reconnect them with my iPhone after using them with the MacBook though. I seem to have to go into settings every time.

To me that doesn't discount the value of the AirPods much though. I use them every single day and would hate to have to use anything else. I have used a number of different earbuds, from cheap to expensive, over the years and these are by far my favorite. Not the best sounding, but the best overall experience. I guess it depends on what you value though. Everyone is different.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I hear you. They don't sync as seamlessly as Apple would have you believe. It's pretty quick with my MacBook though, I just click the volume icon at the top of my screen and switch to AirPods. I have not found a quick way to reconnect them with my iPhone after using them with the MacBook though. I seem to have to go into settings every time.

To me that doesn't discount the value of the AirPods much though. I use them every single day and would hate to have to use anything else. I have used a number of different earbuds, from cheap to expensive, over the years and these are by far my favorite. Not the best sounding, but the best overall experience. I guess it depends on what you value though. Everyone is different.

Well, the topic is about whether or not they're worth $179. If they synced the way that Apple claimed that they synced, every time, for me, they'd be worth it. Obviously, since that's what I paid for them.

I'll still use them for certain situations. Like when I'm listening to a podcast with one ear— nothing else allows that. And for most hiking it will still be good. But value? It's not there. Unlike other Apple devices there's no resale value. That factors in, too.

But for sitting around the house listening, I have a real value on order: $299 Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones for iPod/iPhone/iPad. After all discounts/coupon only $112.03. No tax, free shipping. Now THAT'S worth the price. ;)

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, the topic is about whether or not they're worth $179. If they synced the way that Apple claimed that they synced, every time, for me, they'd be worth it. Obviously, since that's what I paid for them.

I'll still use them for certain situations. Like when I'm listening to a podcast with one ear— nothing else allows that. And for most hiking it will still be good. But value? It's not there. Unlike other Apple devices there's no resale value. That factors in, too.

But for sitting around the house listening, I have a real value on order: $299 Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones for iPod/iPhone/iPad. After all discounts/coupon only $112.03. No tax, free shipping. Now THAT'S worth the price. ;)

I wasn't criticizing you. I get what the article is about. I was agreeing with your point and just stating that, for me, they are still worth it. I have never resold headphones or earbuds like I do phones so that's not an issue for me. There are less expensive solutions for sure but nothing that works as well for my needs. But that's me, not you or anyone else.

You got a great deal on those Bose headphones. THAT is a great value for sure. No argument there.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I’m reviving this thread because my AirPods just got in. I will be doing a full review of them as well. My original statements stand. Wireless EarPods, no better than that. Not worth $160. This is my initial reaction, things may change a little by the time my review is done.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking about AirPods today and came away with this thought: If the sound quality is the same as the EarPods, having EarPod-quality sound in an AirPod without wires is not and never would be worth $130 (Aren’t EarPods $30?) to me. ...and EarPods are supplied with the phone too. The disappearance of that wire is not a $120 benefit to me but I know it is to others. ...and when the AirPods battery wears out you are to throw them away and spend another $150 to not have that wire?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about AirPods today and came away with this thought: If the sound quality is the same as the EarPods, having EarPod-quality sound in an AirPod without wires is not and never would be worth $130 (Aren’t EarPods $30?) to me. ...and EarPods are supplied with the phone too. The disappearance of that wire is not a $120 benefit to me but I know it is to others. ...and when the AirPods battery wears out you are to throw them away and spend another $150 to not have that wire?

Basically, yes. Even as I use them, I will never think they are worth $160. They aren’t even smart enough for the cost. EarPods alone aren’t even worth the $30 Apple charges.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have this mindset (possibly outdated) that wired sound quality is still superior to wireless. That makes it hard for me to spend over ~$50 for wireless headphone and I’m a headphone junky. I’ve read that BlueTooth sound has gotten better with AptX but I’m just not convinced enough to spend $60+ on wireless.

I am glad the option is there though for the folks that want it.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
...and when the AirPods battery wears out you are to throw them away and spend another $150 to not have that wire?

Out of warranty battery replacement is $49. In warranty is $0.

I just bought them, even though when I tried them originally I didnt like them as they fell out. I had to buy the ear adapters. For me it was strictly for the gym. Ive had wires catch way too many times and yank on my ear and neck. After using them to workout a few times, Im much happier with them.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Out of warranty battery replacement is $49. In warranty is $0.

I just bought them, even though when I tried them originally I didnt like them as they fell out. I had to buy the ear adapters. For me it was strictly for the gym. Ive had wires catch way too many times and yank on my ear and neck. After using them to workout a few times, Im much happier with them.

Thanks for the info. There is definitely a utility to them but for me $130 is to much as I have found reasonable BT headphones for <=$50. For working out I prefer overhead headphones as they stay in place better for me.

I’m glad the AirPods are working well for you.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
f58d66852f68ebfc9fae0c3901abe656.jpg

They’re not stylish but they work well for my runs and at $35 I can get several pairs for $160 but my original pair that I’ve had for a few years is still kick’n.

I understand, however, that Apple miniaturized some tech to make the AirPods but in my brief search I found...

78e64f71d52f38846d0792cf2139e21d.jpg

...and would wonder if AirPods are really 3x better (and they may indeed be) since they cost more than 3x as much

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Nope ! Apple pods, buds do not fit my ears, and leak other peoples boring conversations inward, part of the point of wearing ear phones is to not listen to twaddle on the train !

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner