Apple AirPods Pro

dieselman412

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello all I’ve been wanting some airpods for a while now, I drive a 18 wheeler for a living and it can get dusty on the job sites. I’m really interested in the AirPods Pro over any other model or brand. My question is I’ve been hearing chatter of new ones coming out, should I settle for the current model? Will they still last me a few years and not be too outdated? Also I would purchase them from Walmart since they are listed cheaper than buying from Apple. Thank you in advanced!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello all I’ve been wanting some airpods for a while now, I drive a 18 wheeler for a living and it can get dusty on the job sites. I’m really interested in the AirPods Pro over any other model or brand. My question is I’ve been hearing chatter of new ones coming out, should I settle for the current model? Will they still last me a few years and not be too outdated? Also I would purchase them from Walmart since they are listed cheaper than buying from Apple. Thank you in advanced!

If it were me, I would get the ones currently available and then go about the business of enjoying them. New models are and will always be on the horizon.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
If it were me, I would get the ones currently available and then go about the business of enjoying them. New models are and will always be on the horizon.

This is absolutely the truth! If I always waited for the latest and greatest, I'd never own an iPhone, because of this!

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Necroposting here, but no point in starting another thread when there’s a perfectly good one here doing nothing. :biggrin:

I just got a pair of these today. I’m not a big headphone or earbud user; I gave my wife my last pair of wired buds, and I’ve never gone out of my way to get a decent set of wireless listeners since Apple started shying away from audio plugs. But we’re going on vacation in a couple of weeks, and I’m thinking I’m gonna want something for hanging my old self around the pool for as much of the week as possible, and nothing says relax like an ear full of good tunes. So I got to searching.

The older style buds and AirPods weren’t an option, because they just don’t stay in my ears. I was hoping to keep the cost around $100 or less, so I was looking at Sony WF-C500, Sennheiser CX400BT, and a few other cheaper options. Then I saw the AirPods Pro, which I never knew about before now. Silicone tips and Apple integration meant I had to give them a closer look to see if they’re worth the difference in price above what I was looking to spend. Every review I read said yes. And now after a few hours with them, I’m inclined to concur.

First thing that happened after unboxing, I stuck them in my ears, and my TV sound went off. At least that’s what I thought. Then my wife was talking, and I could barely hear what sounded like whispers. Turns out the come on with noise canceling enabled, and it works really, really well, even with nothing playing through them. Everything I’d read said the ANC on these was just ok, so I really wasn’t expecting the near dead silence. And since noise canceling wasn’t high on my must-have list, I didn’t really care if if it’s good or not, or even there. But I was a bit floored at how well it actually works. Turning it off still leaves outside noise fairly muffled, which would have been good enough for me; transparency likewise is like having nothing in my ears at all.

Next was the ear fit test. Good seal in both ears right off the bat with the medium tips that came on them. I fiddled with the other tips, and the mediums felt the best of the three. As for how they feel - they’re so light, you barely know they’re there. And unlike older AirPods, they stay put in my ears. I even laid down on my couch and rolled from side to side - they didn’t move, which is great to know in case I fall asleep with them in, as I’ve been known to nod off there fairly often.

And finally, I played a few music tracks. These buds are crystal clear, to the point that I hear details I’d never heard before. The bass won’t blow your eardrums out, but it’s there. The newer the recordings, the better. Listening to Queen’s Keep Yourself Alive, the bottom was definitely lacking. Move ahead a few decades to the Bangles’ Hazy Shade of Winter, and it was just lovely - not overwhelmingly boomy, just nice and full.

My only criticisms are the stem pinching instead of tapping to operate the controls, and no on-board volume control. The stem pinch is definitely going to take some getting used to, especially if I start getting calls while I’m listening to or watching something. Volume control, I don’t think will be a big deal; as I said earlier, I’m not a huge ear bug user (though that could change now that I got these), and if I’m using them it means I’ll always have my phone or iPad nearby. So a very minor inconvenience at worst.

Overall, I’m amazed at the technology and processing they can stuff into these tiny things. While they won’t replace ultra-high-end buds or over-ear phones, they sound pretty damn good. And then of course there’s the solid integration with all other Apple devices; in particular is automatic device switching, which you can turn on and off on each device, and is what got me giving these a closer look in the first place. So, not sorry at all for grabbing these now, even spending more than I was looking to, and even with the next gen AirPods Pro rumored to be coming later this year. Like Annie said, if you always wait for the latest and greatest…

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Necroposting here, but no point in starting another thread when there’s a perfectly good one here doing nothing. :biggrin:

I just got a pair of these today. I’m not a big headphone or earbud user; I gave my wife my last pair of wired buds, and I’ve never gone out of my way to get a decent set of wireless listeners since Apple started shying away from audio plugs. But we’re going on vacation in a couple of weeks, and I’m thinking I’m gonna want something for hanging my old self around the pool for as much of the week as possible, and nothing says relax like an ear full of good tunes. So I got to searching.

The older style buds and AirPods weren’t an option, because they just don’t stay in my ears. I was hoping to keep the cost around $100 or less, so I was looking at Sony WF-C500, Sennheiser CX400BT, and a few other cheaper options. Then I saw the AirPods Pro, which I never knew about before now. Silicone tips and Apple integration meant I had to give them a closer look to see if they’re worth the difference in price above what I was looking to spend. Every review I read said yes. And now after a few hours with them, I’m inclined to concur.

First thing that happened after unboxing, I stuck them in my ears, and my TV sound went off. At least that’s what I thought. Then my wife was talking, and I could barely hear what sounded like whispers. Turns out the come on with noise canceling enabled, and it works really, really well, even with nothing playing through them. Everything I’d read said the ANC on these was just ok, so I really wasn’t expecting the near dead silence. And since noise canceling wasn’t high on my must-have list, I didn’t really care if if it’s good or not, or even there. But I was a bit floored at how well it actually works. Turning it off still leaves outside noise fairly muffled, which would have been good enough for me; transparency likewise is like having nothing in my ears at all.

Next was the ear fit test. Good seal in both ears right off the bat with the medium tips that came on them. I fiddled with the other tips, and the mediums felt the best of the three. As for how they feel - they’re so light, you barely know they’re there. And unlike older AirPods, they stay put in my ears. I even laid down on my couch and rolled from side to side - they didn’t move, which is great to know in case I fall asleep with them in, as I’ve been known to nod off there fairly often.

And finally, I played a few music tracks. These buds are crystal clear, to the point that I hear details I’d never heard before. The bass won’t blow your eardrums out, but it’s there. The newer the recordings, the better. Listening to Queen’s Keep Yourself Alive, the bottom was definitely lacking. Move ahead a few decades to the Bangles’ Hazy Shade of Winter, and it was just lovely - not overwhelmingly boomy, just nice and full.

My only criticisms are the stem pinching instead of tapping to operate the controls, and no on-board volume control. The stem pinch is definitely going to take some getting used to, especially if I start getting calls while I’m listening to or watching something. Volume control, I don’t think will be a big deal; as I said earlier, I’m not a huge ear bug user (though that could change now that I got these), and if I’m using them it means I’ll always have my phone or iPad nearby. So a very minor inconvenience at worst.

Overall, I’m amazed at the technology and processing they can stuff into these tiny things. While they won’t replace ultra-high-end buds or over-ear phones, they sound pretty damn good. And then of course there’s the solid integration with all other Apple devices; in particular is automatic device switching, which you can turn on and off on each device, and is what got me giving these a closer look in the first place. So, not sorry at all for grabbing these now, even spending more than I was looking to, and even with the next gen AirPods Pro rumored to be coming later this year. Like Annie said, if you always wait for the latest and greatest…

Have you tried spatial audio?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711