Having read lots of material regarding fast vs regular charging speeds ( iPhone 8 & beyond) as well as conventional cable vs wireless QI charging, I gather that QI is convenient and 'can' be faster, whereas using the cable is slower but possibly easier on the battery in the long run. I've always charged iPhones & iPads ( from the original iPad & Mini & iPhone 4s) overnight without issues at all on the stock chargers - so I wonder if one could go easy on the battery while having the convenience & neatness of wireless by simply, if possible ( not so with Belkin Boost-up which uses it's own proprietary power supply) connecting the 5w Apple cube to the QI pad via USB. No, it wouldn't be the fastest in the world but if it's on overnight, who really cares about needing fast speed. I use a couple of 'generic' QI pads on the bedside nightstands and find the phones only very slightly warm at worst, and that is with relatively warm ambient room temps here in the tropics..I am not reallly concerned about 'overcharging' as I suspect the protection afforded by the devices software works irregardless of the charging method, as long a a quality approved charger is used.

Thoughts??
    Last edited by dmoskaluk; 06-08-2019 at 03:05 PM.
    06-08-2019 02:09 PM
    Interesting theory and on the surface, one would think it shouldn't be a problem to do. Like you, I charge my iPhone overnight, and up until 6 months ago, I was using the lightning cable and wall cube that came with my iPhone. Now I use a Qi charger (TYLT VU) that I purchased via Amazon. I agree that the cable and cube is easier on the battery and I have noticed a degradation in my battery's health so I may have to return to using the cable and cube, although the Qi charger is more convenient overall. Then again, since it charges overnight, it’s a moot issue.....
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 06-09-2019 at 07:22 AM.
    06-08-2019 07:39 PM
    I bought one of these (Nillkin iPhone Wireless Charging Receiver Magic Tag Qi Wireless Charger Receiver 1000mAh for iPhone 7/6/6S/Plus https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DLYF33K...mUvbUpU3142613) along with a Qi charger last fall for my 7+ and haven't really noticed any battery issues.
    06-08-2019 07:56 PM
    Neither of the two QI pads I bought (availability of decent tech can be shakey here) came with its own plug in power source, just a simple USB cable with standard fittings both ends thus it was a no brainer to use my existing iPhone cubes (5w) as a source of juice and forego any 7.5 or 10 or 12 w input to the charge pad. So far so good (iPhone 8plus, chargers by 'Zens' ( Netherlands) & Klipxtreme ( likely China)
    Last edited by dmoskaluk; 06-09-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    06-09-2019 06:09 AM
    I wish that I had the option of using 5w with the Belkin as well ( which I believe it originally was) but with iOS updating since then, the phone itself now draws more. The generic chargers I mentioned seem properly built but really who knows, and when converted to US funds were around $40, even though I'm sure like items would probably be in the $25 range in North America. At least they accept 50hz /110v power as 60hz doesn't happen here.
    06-09-2019 06:47 AM
    I use both methods to charge my phone. When I use my lightning cable, I use the power cube that came with my iPad. This seems to be the fastest way of charging my iPhone. I have 2 Belkin Qi chargers that were purchased directly from Apple. They are more convenient but take longer to charge. Charges on my phone last around 24 hours with normal usage.
    06-09-2019 09:37 AM
    Thanks Annie - being retired I'm really never in much of a hurry about things ( maybe the culture has penetrated too) so it matters not that I don't have 'fast charging' per se, and it's so convenient to simply set phone on pad nightly. Availability of current or cutting edge tech & support can be an issue with only 2 Apple 'Authorized Resellers' on the island & no Apple stores or Apple Care as such so one must be both selective and careful. That's why when my 7Plus started developing issues I replaced it with 8Plus as a 'tried & true' even though X models are now available. The Genius Bar option really doesn't exist so I'll wait a bit before going beyond what I ( and the local iShop) are more familiar with.
    Last edited by dmoskaluk; 06-09-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    06-09-2019 10:09 AM
    Thanks Annie - being retired I'm really never in much of a hurry about things ( maybe the culture has penetrated too) so it matters not that I don't have 'fast charging' per se, and it's so convenient to simply set phone on pad nightly. Availability of current or cutting edge tech & support can be an issue with only 2 Apple 'Authorized Resellers' on the island & no Apple stores or Apple Care as such so one must be both selective and careful. That's why when my 7Plus started developing issues I replaced it with 8Plus as a 'tried & true' even though X models are now available. The Genius Bar option really doesn't exist so I'll wait a bit before going beyond what I ( and the local iShop) are more familiar with.
    You are welcome! As a safeguard, whenever you purchase accessories for your Apple devices, it's always a good idea to make sure that they are Apple MFi Certified. If you're able to order from Amazon, they always have good options!
    06-10-2019 09:58 AM
    You are welcome! As a safeguard, whenever you purchase accessories for your Apple devices, it's always a good idea to make sure that they are Apple MFi Certified. If you're able to order from Amazon, they always have good options!
    06-10-2019 10:05 AM
    By dealing with the few 'major' tech retailers I figure there's at least a modicum of protection but consumer safeguards here simply aren't up to big country standards by a long shot. I do use Amazon to ship to a postal address ( UPS Store Mailbox) I keep in Canada but I'm not there to collect parcels more than 3 or 4 times a year, and anecdotally, those who shop online from here usually face weeks to months shipping time and then have customs taxes & duties applied pretty much at the whim of the customs agent clearing the goods. Maybe in my lifetime things will streamline a bit but right now one must normally simply stay aware of 'who may carry what' and process overseas acquisitions in a style closer to the 80's. It's reallly a small price to pay for tropical living overall though. Our electricity is supplied at 50 cycle, not 60 as is the case in NA, which doesn't affect everything, but can in some cases so it's safer that way to try to acquire needfuls locally. I am an Amazon Prime member but it's a bit moot whether it's really the plus they say, when living offshore and away from their usual sphere. Return/refund policies are also very varied here and not nearly as customer friendly as in the US or Canada so 'buyer beware is most essential....
    Last edited by dmoskaluk; 06-10-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    06-10-2019 10:22 AM
    I've been using the Mophie quick wireless charging pad bought direct from Apple shortly after we got our iPhone X's nearly two years ago. Yes we do use cables in the car/etc. but at home I use the wireless like 90% of the time and after about 20 months now my battery is still at 97% capacity. Maybe I've just been lucky on degradation vs others but at this point I see no reason not to use Qi when I have time for it. When I charge wired I don't even use the iPhone brick, I use the 12W iPad ones instead for even faster charging (though it's not the USB C to lightning fast charge speed).
    06-10-2019 12:26 PM
    Another subtle advantage of wireless charging - when at home (or maybe work as well) one doesn't have to 'phone ones phone' to simply find where it was last placed ( may not be applicable to youngsters, but us aging type forget a lot 🥴). I know that other than in a pocket, phone when not in use is likely sitting on one of the pads, bedside, patio, or office area.
    06-18-2019 08:12 AM
    Another subtle advantage of wireless charging - when at home (or maybe work as well) one doesn't have to 'phone ones phone' to simply find where it was last placed ( may not be applicable to youngsters, but us aging type forget a lot ). I know that other than in a pocket, phone when not in use is likely sitting on one of the pads, bedside, patio, or office area.
    LOL!!! We are "in the same boat" and do that all the time. Me, not as much since I got my Apple Watch, because I can ping it and find it easily. My husband's on the other hand, gets called from time to time so we can find it!
    06-18-2019 08:15 AM
    those who shop online from here usually face weeks to months shipping time and then have customs taxes & duties applied pretty much at the whim of the customs agent clearing the goods.
    Ok, that does it. Send all your orders to me and I'll deliver them to the island. I need a lengthy vacation anyway.

Wait......on second thought, don't order too much......I need room for all my camera gear. :-)
    Tartarus likes this.
    06-19-2019 12:25 PM
    It's always interesting to hear or see comments from a wide spectrum including those who don't have ( I stress 'by choice' in my case) ready access to conveniences many consider a given such as when speaking here, Apple Stores, Apple Care, Genius Bars, Amazon style online shopping, & other well developed customer service & support entities. One really doesn't have to venture too far afield to 'step back' at least a decade, if not two, in this realm of modern consumerism. However one always must keep priorities in order and very few of us share identical wants, needs and goals all round.
    Last edited by dmoskaluk; 06-19-2019 at 12:49 PM.
    06-19-2019 12:37 PM