In case of a weather emergency, do you pack a tech bag?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
In case of a weather emergency, do you pack a tech bag? I live in the part of Ohio that was a victim to multiple tornadoes yesterday evening. Luckily we're all ok, our house is ok, and the worse thing that happened was that we lost power for several hours.

Severe weather had been forecasted off and on all weekend, but as the evening progressed, it became apparent that we were indeed going to get something. First, it was a Tornado Watch, and then several Tornado Warnings.

As the storm ramped up, first with fierce lighting and thunder, and then golf ball sized hail, I quickly shoved my iPad, several cables, battery chargers into my back. I then shoved in some jewelry and yes, my growing collection of Apple Watch bands, my purse, and medication. I was ready, and proud to be so organized! Although, in retrospect, I am a bit embarrassed that I felt the need to take all my watch bands!

My husband was amused. I know that he would never go to such lengths, and I made a mental note to make sure where he had put his backpack that had all sorts of important stuff including medications.

In thinking about my actions, I am curious to know what other people do in this type of situation?

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I’m in the desert so we don’t really have weather emergencies but we all do have tech bags with spare cables, charging blocks and power banks. I made them up a couple years ago for travel.
My watch bands are right next to my jewelry box so I could see me grabbing them when grabbing my jewelry.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Technically, I suppose you can call it a tech bag. I mean, I keep my MacBook Pro and associated cables, usb drives, etc., but I wasn’t doing it for emergencies. It’s more for when I travel. As long as I have my iPhone and keep it charged, I’m good to go...

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I travel twice a year and have all cables and spare cables and chargers and power banks readily available to pack.
There is also always a power cable and adapter in my second home abroad, so there’s that.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I have on hand that I keep charged. A jump box in my Jeep in case of a dead battery.
It has a couple of USB ports. It came in handy when we lost power last year for a couple of days.
Other than that, I have a small tool pouch that I keep my iPad, charging cables, a reading light I picked up on Amazon, and my back up phone. Glad to hear you’re safe Annie.

Last edited:

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
In case of a weather emergency, do you pack a tech bag? I live in the part of Ohio that was a victim to multiple tornadoes yesterday evening. Luckily we're all ok, our house is ok, and the worse thing that happened was that we lost power for several hours.

Severe weather had been forecasted off and on all weekend, but as the evening progressed, it became apparent that we were indeed going to get something. First, it was a Tornado Watch, and then several Tornado Warnings.

As the storm ramped up, first with fierce lighting and thunder, and then golf ball sized hail, I quickly shoved my iPad, several cables, battery chargers into my back. I then shoved in some jewelry and yes, my growing collection of Apple Watch bands, my purse, and medication. I was ready, and proud to be so organized! Although, in retrospect, I am a bit embarrassed that I felt the need to take all my watch bands!

My husband was amused. I know that he would never go to such lengths, and I made a mental note to make sure where he had put his backpack that had all sorts of important stuff including medications.

In thinking about my actions, I am curious to know what other people do in this type of situation?

I have thought about this myself! I don’t actually have a bag ready to go but I know I would grab my iPhone and my Apple Watch and iPads and charging cables before I left the house. Now you’ve got me thinking about putting together some kind of actual go bag. And of course I would need Apple Watch bands, phone cases, and all my Shaska bracelets - LOL. I think it would need to be the size of an overnight bag

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have thought about this myself! I don’t actually have a bag ready to go but I know I would grab my iPhone and my Apple Watch and iPads and charging cables before I left the house. Now you’ve got me thinking about putting together some kind of actual go bag. And of course I would need Apple Watch bands, phone cases, and all my Shaska bracelets - LOL. I think it would need to be the size of an overnight bag

It's definitely a good idea to be prepared. Don't forget medications either! :D And when I read your response, I realized I had forgotten my Sashka bracelets! :cant-watch:

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
How tiresome to have to think of such things ! we have weather in SE England but it seems to behave itself pretty well.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
When I'm first made aware of incoming dangerous weather my first act is to ensure every single device our family owns is charging and getting as close to a full charge as possible. This includes laptops, tablets, cell phones, etc. I also make sure battery packs are charged. For me, the most important item is to ensure we have the ability to communicate in the event of an emergency, power outage or dangerous event. Those are the items that go in my "tech bag". Devices and charging cables and protective cases to make sure our electronics are protected.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The only tech items I have are my iPhone and charge cables. In the event of tornadic weather, my iPhone stays on my person. But if I have to go out, I take a small waterproof bag. This is true when I go out on the lake or spend time outdoors, in case of rain. I too make sure my iPhone is charged when severe weather conditions are expected.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The only tech items I have are my iPhone and charge cables. In the event of tornadic weather, my iPhone stays on my person. But if I have to go out, I take a small waterproof bag. This is true when I go out on the lake or spend time outdoors, in case of rain. I too make sure my iPhone is charged when severe weather conditions are expected.

A waterproof bag is a good addition to the list!

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I’ve never thought about an emergency tech bag. That’s a very good idea. I just upgraded to the XS Max from the 7plus. That’s all I’ve been using since, so I would probably grab my charger and run. Lol.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I have a small backpack that holds a mini tech cable bag. It has an external charger, cables for any occasion, and things like a flashlight and Swiss Army knife. I just grab it, throw my MacBook or iPad or both in it and roll. It’s a good idea to have these things. Living on the coast we see hurricanes a lot and having things charged up and extra batteries comes in handy when the kids get restless.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have a small backpack that holds a mini tech cable bag. It has an external charger, cables for any occasion, and things like a flashlight and Swiss Army knife. I just grab it, throw my MacBook or iPad or both in it and roll. It’s a good idea to have these things. Living on the coast we see hurricanes a lot and having things charged up and extra batteries comes in handy when the kids get restless.

Good idea! A Swiss Army Knife or something like that would be a good idea. I have a knock-off "Leatherman" type tool that is going in the bag when I get home from work!