What Role Did Samsung’s Wireless PowerShare Feature Have w/Regard To Apple’s Powermat Decision?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am simply posing the question without any inside knowledge whatsoever. With that being said, do you think the Wireless PowerShare feature provided with the Galaxy S10 and Galaxy Fold played a role in Apple decision to scrap its powermat accessory? I think it’s cool as heck to be able to charge one of my Apple products by simply placing it atop of another. What say you?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I think the idea is innovative. However, pragmatically, I think this could curtail the overall battery life of the donor device if used frequently. The heat most likely generated by the donor device being the main concern. If used very rarely as a shot in the arm for another device, then I don't see much of an issue.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the idea is innovative. However, pragmatically, I think this could curtail the overall battery life of the donor device if used frequently. The heat most likely generated by the donor device being the main concern. If used very rarely as a shot in the arm for another device, then I don't see much of an issue.

Do you think Samsung’s innovative PowerShare capabilities overshadowed Apple’s Powermat accessory and possibly played a role in Apple scrapping it?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Do you think Samsung’s innovative PowerShare capabilities overshadowed Apple’s Powermat accessory and possibly played a role in Apple scrapping it?

Mostly no. Apple announcing something that wasn't ready yet wasn't the greatest move. If the delay was only a couple months, then sure, announce it. Anything longer than that really just tips your hand to others. I think Apple's announcement may have given incentive to Samsung to release their powershare idea.

This almost makes me think of the current video game marketing going on: 'Let's announce a new game in 2016 but it won't be ready for 4 more years'. Exaggeration, sure, but the point still stands.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't see how there's even a connection here other than they are two different ways of charging devices. One was a half baked Qi charger that Apple couldn't pull off that was kind of a "MEH" idea from the get go, to a fairly ingenious way of charging your devices in a emergency situation out in the wild that is developed and up & running ...

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how there's even a connection here other than they are two different ways of charging devices. One was a half baked Qi charger that Apple couldn't pull off that was kind of a "MEH" idea from the get go, to a fairly ingenious way of charging your devices in a emergency situation out in the wild that is developed and up & running ...

^This.

The ability to charge my iPhone XS with my X or vice versa would be perfect, but I’m not holding my breath. Samsung definitely comes through in the clutch...too bad I’m not a fan of using google services anymore.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
As stated, two different charging methods. And also as stated, Apple was unable to best physics for AirPower. However, I disagree that AirPower was “meh.” I likely wouldn’t have bought one myself, but understanding that is wasn’t simply another wireless charger and what they were trying to achieve is interesting. Every current wireless charging mat has a charge spot, that your device can move out of and stop charging. AirPower was meant to eliminate that by making the entire surface the charging spot. Furthermore, the Apple Watch has a magnetic charger. AirPower was meant to make that wireless as well. More than that though, AirPower was meant to let you charge these devices anywhere on the mat at any time. That’s where physics came into play. Too many coils, too much heat.

So to more directly answer your question, no, I don’t believe Samsung’s reverse wireless charging played any role in Apple scrapping AirPower.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
No role whatsoever.

People aren't sharing their own battery power with someone else that often... I think of that every time I see the commercial. I know what a drain devices can be on a portable battery, much less my own phone that now has less power because I gave it. People are fickle with their batteries!

AirPower would be used for multiple  devices simultaneously.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site

I think that was unlikely. When AirPower was first announced, it was a really cool thing. However, I’m pretty sure that it was either too expensive or complicated to manufacture and sell to be profitable within the set time frame. We all know how fast technology advances (just look at the difference between the iPhone 7 Plus and X or Samsung S7 and S9/10).

I think Apple realised several things before (some maybe after) cancelling AirPower:

1. While having a multi-device wireless charger is cool most people already have the required chargers to charge all their devices at once and quickly. Since everyone who has AirPods and an Apple Watch already has the chargers for them and probably also a wireless charging pad, they won’t bother buying AirPower. Not many people charge all their devices at the same time either.

2. AirPower is likely to be expensive and complicated to produce and therefore cost consumers an unreasonable amount of money compared to cheaper alternatives which are just as effective.

3. When Reverse Wireless Charging/Wireless PowerShare was released in 2018/2019 on the Mate 20 Pro and S10(+) it was kind of a last straw if Apple took note of it with AirPower’s cancellation or if not gave them justification for their decision. The new feature wasn’t a replacement for AirPower, but was more convenient and (obviously) more portable. Wireless PowerShare was much more practical and useful, giving the user the ability to charge up their watch/earbuds with their own phone.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there's any connection at all.

I think on paper these features (the PowerShare) sounds cool. But I don't see how often it will be used in real world use by me personally. I'd have to hold the two devices together? Or leave my phone faced down on my desk while my AirPods, for example, rest on the phone? Personally...that's not useful for me. My day to day doesn't really necessitate this feature and it's far more convenient for me to simply charge my devices when I'm at my desk during the day and not have to worry about them dying while I'm out and about.

But in times of dire need...I'm sure it would be nice to have.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR