AirPower is officially cancelled.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Today is a black day in history for innovation.
Apple officially cancelled AirPower today.

I was excited when they announced it and today I’m equally saddened to hear that they cancelled it.

What’s your thoughts about this news?

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I’m somewhat disappointed. I was looking forward to the trifecta of iPhone, Apple Watch, and wireless AirPods charging case on the same pad at one time. Oh well, looks like my next Apple ‘charging’ device will be... Apple Card...

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm not exactly disappointed, because I really wouldn't have purchased it anyway. I respect their reasons for doing so. It's good to finally know, and put all the rumors and expectations to bed, once and for all!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I was excited when they announced it and today I’m equally saddened to hear that they cancelled it.

LOL, Noooope, It's not a black day in history for innovation (laughing). If I'm not mistaking there charging pads already on the market, just not Apple branded.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

This is the first I’m hearing about it. As for my thoughts, I’m not saddened because it was not something I was planning on purchasing. Having said that, I am curious as to why they’ve opted to not move forward with it.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
This is the first I’m hearing about it. As for my thoughts, I’m not saddened because it was not something I was planning on purchasing. Having said that, I am curious as to why they’ve opted to not move forward with it.

Heating issues and other issues. It was to charge iPhone, AirPods, and Apple Watch in any spot on the pad. Layering the coils to do this caused issues.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm a little disappointed as I wanted to see how AirPower would stack up against the competition but now that won't happen and guess what I'll still live on without it.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
At one time, I was trying to decide which one to spend money- AirPods or AirPower... and now I don’t have to decide!

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Sounds plausible, though this close to April Fool’s Day I am skeptical.
This. Me too.

If it's true: so that's a really significant news, because if Apple can't make a simple wireless charger so something must be much much wrong in there. And this would explain Apple being surpassed by a lot of companies in elements that were so Apple's, like design and innovation.

Preparing my pop corn to watch the next episodes.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
This. Me too.

If it's true: so that's a really significant news, because if Apple can't make a simple wireless charger so something must be much much wrong in there. And this would explain Apple being surpassed by a lot of companies in elements that were so Apple's, like design and innovation.

Preparing my pop corn to watch the next episodes.

See my other comment, they weren’t trying to make a simple charger, physics just wouldn’t let them make the charger they wanted yet.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I’m not upset at all. I honestly forgot all about it lol. Plus it would just be another Apple item that only comes in white that I wouldn’t buy because it only comes in white*

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully, they can just cut the footprint down so that the heating issues are resolved, and there can be an official Apple wireless charging solution.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Since I was gifted a 2nd Qi charger, I realized that I had no real need for the AirPower.
Same here. I have a Qi charger at my work, another at home. But I have to say it wasn't fast charging, so it bother a bit how slow is my iPhone charging, specially when compared with my 6T McLaren...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Appe needs to quit hyping products before they have it finalized. Wonder how many bought the new airpods and wireless case thinking this was right around the corner? Come on Apple, be better than that.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully, they can just cut the footprint down so that the heating issues are resolved, and there can be an official Apple wireless charging solution.

I don’t think reducing the footprint would solve the issue, if anything it would make it harder to solve and create more heat. They were trying to add multiple coils to each part of the pad so you could charge your iPhone, AirPods, or Apple Watch in any of the three spots. That’s where the issues came from.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I don’t think reducing the footprint would solve the issue, if anything it would make it harder to solve and create more heat. They were trying to add multiple coils to each part of the pad so you could charge your iPhone, AirPods, or Apple Watch in any of the three spots. That’s where the issues came from.
Sorry... I was meaning to say to make a small one similar to the others in the market. So a single coil and charge one item at a time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR