I just got a saddle brown Apple leather case for my iPhone XS Max but here’s my dilemma: it’s fugly straight out of the box but it wears beautifully over time. I’ve been doing some research on how to speed up the aging process and came across a few articles recommending taking a fine grade sand paper to the case, applying shoe polish, applying shoe wax, then buffering it out. It’s essentially doing what naturally happens over time, breaking down the outermost layer on the leather and introducing oils (usually from our skin and other surfaces).
    Has anyone tried this approach? Any other methods/suggestions?
    I’m looking for feedback from the community before I go sanding down my $50 iPhone case.
    12-08-2018 05:46 AM
    Put it in a time machine and send it 6 months into the future and then have it sent back....(laughing)....Dude, you know I’m just messing with you...
    12-08-2018 06:58 AM
    Put it in a time machine and send it 6 months into the future and then have it sent back....(laughing)....Dude, you know I’m just messing with you...
    LOL! Just waiting for Apple to make a time machine (an actual time machine, not a backup drive).
    The crux with being an annual upgrader is by the time I start to develop a nice patina on the leather it’s time to get a new case. Maybe next year’s Max will actually have the same form factor.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-08-2018 07:03 AM
    You can always return it and buy a used one off eBay lol
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    12-08-2018 07:44 AM
    You can always return it and buy a used one off eBay lol
    Not sure how many naturally-aged XS Max cases I’ll find on eBay at this point lol.
    12-08-2018 08:01 AM
    I’m chuckling because quite a few thought my saddle brown case was disgusting in some circumstances. I would clean it often but was reminded you put aged shoes or work gloves at the door or in the garage.

Honestly, the scrubbing and cleaning helped the aging process. I am cleaning my phone and cases often because IT means I touch others’ keyboards, and our work sites have messy (kitchens) or dirty (docks, check stands) areas.

Good luck!
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    12-08-2018 08:17 AM
    ...IT means I touch ...
    (laughing)...I like that!...
    12-08-2018 08:22 AM
    The saddle brown tends to patina rather quickly with use IMO. To speed up the process, you can rub it down with a shoe wax or light oil, wipe off any excess then sit it in the window. I’ve done this with my LV bags because the vachetta is so pale.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    12-08-2018 08:47 AM
    The saddle brown tends to patina rather quickly with use IMO. To speed up the process, you can rub it down with a shoe wax or light oil, wipe off any excess then sit it in the window. I’ve done this with my LV bags because the vachetta is so pale.
    I might just try that. Thanks Nikki!
    Gutsy move experimenting with a Louis.
    nikkisharif and Annie_8plus like this.
    12-08-2018 08:54 AM
    I might just try that. Thanks Nikki!
    Gutsy move experimenting with a Louis.
    You’re welcome & yes, it’s very gutsy but the vachetta looks absolutely horrible when it’s new LOL
    12-08-2018 09:08 AM
    Agreed! The out-of-the-box look is more caramel than brown, but over time it looks really nice.

This was 11/20, brand new compared to the one from my X.

Any tricks for quickly aging a leather phone case?-img_0018-1-.jpg

Since then it's aged already just from use... has more red in it for sure. Doesn't take long, thankfully.

Any tricks for quickly aging a leather phone case?-img_0247.jpg
    nikkisharif and Rob Phillips like this.
    12-08-2018 09:20 AM
    I just got a saddle brown Apple leather case for my iPhone XS Max but here’s my dilemma: it’s fugly straight out of the box but it wears beautifully over time. I’ve been doing some research on how to speed up the aging process and came across a few articles recommending taking a fine grade sand paper to the case, applying shoe polish, applying shoe wax, then buffering it out. It’s essentially doing what naturally happens over time, breaking down the outermost layer on the leather and introducing oils (usually from our skin and other surfaces).
    Has anyone tried this approach? Any other methods/suggestions?
    I’m looking for feedback from the community before I go sanding down my $50 iPhone case.
    Don’t use sandpaper. It will take off not just any protective finish, but also the outer layer of the skin that has absorbed dye. You could end up seeing natural undyed areas of leather “speckles” which isn’t patina looking...
    nikkisharif likes this.
    12-08-2018 06:29 PM
    Don’t use sandpaper. It will take off not just any protective finish, but also the outer layer of the skin that has absorbed dye. You could end up seeing natural undyed areas of leather “speckles” which isn’t patina looking...
    Good point. To clarify, I think the idea is to use very fine sandpaper and applying extremely light pressure just to remove some of the wax coating. Nonetheless I've decided not to do that part. Thanks!
    nikkisharif and Annie_8plus like this.
    12-09-2018 06:24 AM
    Agreed! The out-of-the-box look is more caramel than brown, but over time it looks really nice.

This was 11/20, brand new compared to the one from my X.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0018 (1).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	376.8 KB 
ID:	125248

Since then it's aged already just from use... has more red in it for sure. Doesn't take long, thankfully.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0247.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	522.3 KB 
ID:	125249
    Aging quite well! I'm just impatient and want it to look like that right now. I actually bought another brand before this one because they claimed to have a quality pre-aged leather. It was garbage so I returned it five minutes after I opened it.
    12-09-2018 06:27 AM
    Aging quite well! I'm just impatient and want it to look like that right now. I actually bought another brand before this one because they claimed to have a quality pre-aged leather. It was garbage so I returned it five minutes after I opened it.
    Best way is just don’t put it down. 🤣
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    12-09-2018 10:20 AM
    No sandpaper! Use a Mr. Clean Magic eraser and a leather protectant (Mink oil ect, etc ...) Darkens right up ...
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    12-09-2018 11:35 AM
    Don’t wash your hands
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    12-12-2018 01:33 AM
    Don’t wash your hands
    I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of that Garz. Removing the case and keeping it submerged in toilet water for a day or two might also do the trick.
    MasterDarque likes this.
    12-12-2018 05:18 AM
    I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of that Garz. Removing the case and keeping it submerged in toilet water for a day or two might also do the trick.
    Why remove the phone? That’s what IP ratings are for....LOL
    Rob Phillips and MasterDarque like this.
    12-13-2018 01:23 PM
    Why remove the phone? That’s what IP ratings are for....LOL
    ‘Plop plop, fizz fizz oh what a....’
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    12-13-2018 08:34 PM
    I have one with my iPhone 8 plus and it aged rather quickly (3 months), but as others have said it helps if you rub it with shoe wax, but if byou ask me I would let it age naturally, mine looks absolutely amazing.
    12-18-2018 02:52 PM
    Bury it in chicken doo doo !
    12-19-2018 06:22 AM
    Bury it in chicken doo doo !
    LOL
    12-19-2018 06:23 AM
    It's actually starting to age quite well already. I'm glad I didn't take any of your suggestions.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    12-19-2018 06:24 AM
    I had good results darkening leather with just water. Don't put it in a bowl, use a moist (but not dripping wet) cloth. The case should get darker instantly, and depending on type of leather and what it was initially treated with, chances are it will be slightly darker when it dries out than it was originally. You can do it on a small part of it to see if it brings any results. Repeat, but not too often, it could get too dry.

Also, sunlight works, even through window glass. Someone suggested mink oil, a very good idea and it actually conditions the case at the same time.
    12-19-2018 08:35 PM