The perfect Lightning Cord?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

Over the years, in an effort to find a good Apple Lightning cord, I have tried MANY cords. As many of us know, the original cord, that comes with our devices, wears out quickly. While initially I liked and was using an Amazon Basics lightning cord, a recent design change has made them less reliable.

Well I think I have found the perfect lightning cord from Aukey. I already know the Aukey brand, and have been using their power products for years. (Hubs, chargers, external batteries, etc), BUT I just discovered their lightning cables.

The cable has a great design. It's made from braided nylon, and the ends are reinforced with strong metal. The ends are also on a 90 degree angle, and this makes them plug in easier, has enhanced stability, AND make the device (especially an iPad) much easier to use with the cord plugged in. I had no issues with cord use, as is SOMETIMES the case with 3rd party cords. I did not receive the dreaded "This Cable is Not Certified and May Not Work Reliably" message.

I can definitely recommend this lightning cable! You'll find it at Amazon....

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Lightn...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3099624

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Those connectors, on both ends, look unpractical for me.

As a practical matter for me, they work well. I often use my iPad in the upright, or vertical position, when reading magazines for example OR playing a certain game. (ok it's Clash Royale and I'm totally addicted). With this cord it's MUCH less in the way. Also I feel the cord forms a more stable connection to the device. I wasn't convinced either UNTIL I started using it. :)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
As a practical matter for me, they work well. I often use my iPad in the upright, or vertical position, when reading magazines for example OR playing a certain game. (ok it's Clash Royale and I'm totally addicted). With this cord it's MUCH less in the way. Also I feel the cord forms a more stable connection to the device. I wasn't convinced either UNTIL I started using it. :)

I like that about them. They don't seem like they're annoying if you're using your phone while charging.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm revisiting this thread since it's been a few months... @pkcable how are they holding up? I'm really wanting to get some braided cables for our vehicles. I think braided cables will have much less wear and tear.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm revisiting this thread since it's been a few months... @pkcable how are they holding up? I'm really wanting to get some braided cables for our vehicles. I think braided cables will have much less wear and tear.

In my experience, braided cables do last longer on the outside. But the wires inside will still break and cause connection issues. Some are better than others. I get the Anker Powerline + ll. They come with a lifetime warranty.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

So far so good! No issues. I use the cords pretty much daily. :)

SupNorm

Feb 2, 2018
Visit site
I went through a bunch of non-Apple lightning cords over the years, all of them failed sooner than later. It usually started with losing connection so I'd turn the plug 180° or wiggle the connector, then after a while that wouldn't work either. I think the problem is, most of these plugs don't have raised connector stripes like Apple cables do and they wear out — but I'm not so sure.

I got two Baseus cables two months ago on a recommendation, they're available very cheap via Aliexpress or still reasonably cheap on Amazon. The Kevlar 2.4A one is my favourite, feels very sturdy and hasn't failed me yet.

I also heard good things about Anker cables.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Belkin makes a fantastic cable, however, they only make it in 4’ and I need 10’ most of the time. So for 10’ I’ve been using Native Union braided cables. I had one fail on me, it took about 3 years though.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I rank Aukey about the same as Anker, both are quality Chinese manufacturers. I also like Amazon Basic cords.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Anker braided cover seem best to me,I think I’m Ok till Apple changes the connector again !

What REALLY sucks in my opinion are Apple's own cables, you are lucky to get 6 months to a year out of them! I would go Anker, Aukey or Amazon Basics over Apple's OEM cables!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What REALLY sucks in my opinion are Apple's own cables, you are lucky to get 6 months to a year out of them! I would go Anker, Aukey or Amazon Basics over Apple's OEM cables!

The first Apple cable that came with my 6s Plus lasted about 3 or 4 months. Applecare replaced it with one that was better. It lasted a little over a year. They weren't the same, as I could tell a difference in the replacement as soon as I got it.

McGyver98N

Feb 10, 2019
Visit site
I must be doing something different, because I have lightning cables that came with my 5S and iPad mini 2 that still work great, no damage! The secret is no deep bending.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234