Wireless Charging: are you surprised Apple went with an open standard?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you surprised that Apple went with an open wireless charging standard like Qi? I know many thought they'd announce their own proprietary wireless charging solution, but it looks like they're on board with Qi... at least for this generation.

Thoughts?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It’s a little surprising they went with Qi considering they still seem to refuse to go USB-C on anything other than MacBook. I’m glad they did though, the infrastructure is already started for widespread public Qi charging.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
It makes sense given that there are already a lot of Qi pads available to buy for relatively good prices, in cars and public spaces (I know a few restaurants that have them).

With Apple adopting the Qi standard they essentially introduced a ‘new feature’ into an existing infrastructure. As stated in the keynote they’ll also help push the standards and they’ll have a lot of say on the path they take

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you surprised that Apple went with an open wireless charging standard like Qi? I know many thought they'd announce their own proprietary wireless charging solution, but it looks like they're on board with Qi... at least for this generation.

Thoughts?

Yes, I’m a little surprised, but I’m glad that went with Qi.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I got one on promotion. Haven’t used much but I like it. Light on it though is very bright. That part not a fan of

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal