Do you ever swap your tempered glass for a new one?

Spirit Vision Photography

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Myself and a few of my friends have been using the very cheap ones from the Dollar Store. Yes, the Dollar Store. They have performed flawlessly. No scratches and the oleophobic coating is still doing its job. Another friend of mine bought the I phone 7, and had Verizon apply a tempered glass screen protector (she does not know the brand) and within a week of it going in and out of her purse, it cracked. She now has a cheap one installed and no issues.

I am not saying to avoid the more expensive versions. It's your money. But according to personal experience and that of many others, the cheaper ones perform every bit as well as the higher priced versions. At $1.00 each, I stocked up on them and give them to my friends. They all have positive experience with them.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Just based on advice I saw right here, I tried to realign my Belkin. It worked! It's straighter. No bubbles. However, there is a dead spot where the protector did not adhere in the bezel lower right. I'll probably just replace it ... next time I'm near Dollar Tree!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I find that the one time I use a cheaper glass protector, yes, I had to change it because the oleophobic (smudge/fingerprint resistant) wore off. I found that with the more expensive and established brands the oleophobic coating doesn't wear as quickly. I'm currently back to using Zagg for this very reason. I also choose the Zagg Privacy glass protector this time and it looks great.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I find that the one time I use a cheaper glass protector, yes, I had to change it because the oleophobic (smudge/fingerprint resistant) wore off. I found that with the more expensive and established brands the oleophobic coating doesn't wear as quickly. I'm currently back to using Zagg for this very reason. I also choose the Zagg Privacy glass protector this time and it looks great.

My Zagg glass on my iPad Pro has lost its oleophobic coating. Not impressed with it and well over priced compared to my $4 Spigen glass that I use on my iPhone. This established brand is no better than the cheaper ones in my opinion.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
My Zagg glass on my iPad Pro has lost its oleophobic coating. Not impressed with it and well over priced compared to my $4 Spigen glass that I use on my iPhone. This established brand is no better than the cheaper ones in my opinion.

The one time I used a "cheaper" brand, I wasn't impressed at all. The protector started peeling and the oleophobic coating was clearly not up to par in longevity or the way it felt compared to the Zagg. I've never used the Spigen brand. I have used iLoome before and didn't care for it.

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
8411ae88994f16200ed47a1969b14db2.jpg

Dollar Store Protector. Its holding up very well. No cracks, separation and the oleophobic coating is like new.

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I've heard many people have good thing to say about those. Are they actually $1?

Yes, they are one dollar in price. I loaded up on them. I've given many to friends, and they are all quite pleased with them. They go on very easily, are invisible and the oleophobic coating is not wearing off. Yes, one dollar. At that price, grab a few extras.

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Yup, we saw :) You like the Dollar Store ones!

I'm curious to try the Walmart ones as they have the template included. :thinking:

I have a Walmart version (right side in image) but have not tried it. A buddy of mine did, and preferred the Dollar Store version. Also, another friend of mine is using the version pictured on the left. And says that it is working fine. I forgot where I bought it, but it was under $5.00 My personal experience is only with the Dollar Store versions, and they are working out very well. Even a couple of T-Mobile employees are using them now.

Attachments

• IMG_2817.jpg
    IMG_2817.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 3

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Yup, we saw :) You like the Dollar Store ones!

I'm curious to try the Walmart ones as they have the template included. :thinking:

I find that mounting guides and templates aren't needed. But if they help, use it. The one pictured on the left has some type of mounting guide too. But I have yet to try that version. I remember it being quite cheap in price.

Attachments

• IMG_2817.jpg
    IMG_2817.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 4