Recommended wireless headphones?

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Partly inspired by Apple potentially removing the headphone jack and partly because I am a dancer and I hate how I sometimes knock out my cord from the phone jack when dancing....I am looking for good wireless headphones.

I'd prefer spending $100 or less for something decent with bass and clarity;....

I brought some Skullcandy Smokin Wireless 2 headphones and they are okay as far as audio but I dislike the fact that it goes over my neck and thus it slides off rather easily....

What do you all suggest for wireless and preferably NOT OVER THE NECK.

I was going to just pay a little extra and get the beats one for like $139 but I always read about how overrated beats is (even though my brother has them and I like the way audio sounds on them).

P_Devil

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
What kind of headphones are you looking for? Earbuds, on-ear headphones, or over-the-ear headphones? All three have their pro's and con's and there are some good models out for each kind, you may want to increase your budget though as, in my experience, $100 isn't a lot for even decent Bluetooth earbuds. Here are some of my recommendations, just keep in mind that they are all going to be beyond your $100 limit.

Earbuds - Bose SoundSport Wireless. They have a wire connecting each earbud that can be put behind your neck but it isn't a stiff design (like those LG earbuds you always see people wearing). They are comfortable, have excellent sound quality (I like them better than the Jaybird Freedom F5 earbuds), and get decent battery life. They retail for $150, you'll just have to wait a while as Bose is updating the design because they found a flaw in the original ones. These are sweat and rain resistant too. I had a pair but they broke, I will be receiving my replacement earbuds here in 5-6 weeks.

On-ear headphones - Beats Solo 2 Wireless. Yeah, people often complain about the Beats brand as a whole but even self-proclaimed audiophiles on Head-fi will recommend these. They are comfortable, have solid sound (though the bass is turned up, the highs are also boosted so they don't sound muddy like the originals), and they can be found for about $200 new and $150 refurbished. My wife has a pair and they are her go-to big pair of headphones (she has tiny ears). I've used them from time-to-time and really enjoy their sound. Hers have also held up quite well. I think they are two years old now at this point and the battery still lasts all week and they show no signs of physical wear or tear. That's saying something as my wife will often just throw her headphones in her backpack with her books and MacBook, not in a case or anything.

On-ear headphones - Bose SoundLink on-ear wireless headphones. These retail for the same $200 (new) as the Beats Solo 2 wireless headphones. I think you can find them at Bose refurbished outlets for $150. I find them to be more comfortable than the Beats but I prefer the sound quality of the Solo 2 headphones. Neither are bad and both offer a colorful representation of the music. The Beats also stayed on my head a bit better than the Bose and I think that's mainly because the headband on the Beats was tighter. My wife actually preferred the way the Bose fit her.

Over-the-ear headphones - Bose SoundLink Wireless Around Ear II. They are $280 but worth the price if you don't care about noise cancellation. They are extremely comfortable and light, I could wear mine for hours on end without feeling any fatigue. One positive aspect is that you can replace the earpads yourself, Bose sells them online. That way, 4-5 years from now when the earpads are starting to deteriorate, you can throw a new set on. Bose sell earpads for headphones that they stopped making 10 years ago. They have a long battery life and nice sound quality. I think they are more accurate than the Beats Solo 2 headphones so their bass isn't as boosted. Music still sounds lively but you aren't going to get head vibrating bass with these.

If money is no object and you are going to save for a while, the Bose QC35's are hard to beat. They offer the best noise cancellation on the market, are just as comfortable as the SoundLink around ear II headphones, have even longer battery life, I think they're more stylish, and their sound quality is improved mainly due to their internal, sculpted amp. But they are $350.

I tend to prefer Bose when it comes to wireless headphones. They tend to rely on solid Bluetooth modules so you shouldn't experience dropouts while music is playing and they are reasonably priced compared to others. They also have excellent tech support. So does Beats now as you just have to deal with Apple. Don't let brands discourage you. The Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 wireless headphones actually aren't all that great. Their sound quality is mediocre when using an iPhone or iPad as an audio source and their noise cancellation is just a hair better than the Beats Studios (and those don't offer much either) yet they are $400. Sennheiser are a solid name in headphones but, if you have an iPhone or iPad, their options aren't the best and are beat out by Bose in some regards.

Buy a pair of headphones that you like. Try them on in the stores, see if you can hook your device up to them, and play some tracks. It doesn't matter if they are Sennheiser, Grado, Beats, or Bose, buy the ones you like.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices