does tempered glass protector matter between brands?

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I am looking to buy tempered glass screen protector. I look on ebay and found some Chinese ones from $2 - $5, and some branded name (i.e Zagg) that can go up to $50 a piece

Just curious, does it matter a brand name one compare to non brand name? To be honest, my own assessment is that it does not matter, but would like to hear other opinion.

Thanks.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have used a Verizon branded one and a Zagg and didn't notice much difference, if at all (it's been a while). For $2-5 it's worth a try -- you're not out much money if you find you don't like it.

I did find I didn't like the look of the glass protectors as much as a crystal/HD non-glass, so I took it off and switched. Due to the curve of the screen, the glass protectors don't go very close to the edge, and the thickness accentuated that "fit". That was a year ago, when the iPhone 6 first came out, so they may be better now.

mbar9607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I've used both types of screen protectors and I prefer glass but I don't like the looks of them on a white device but I did see zagg has some with a colored border that does cover 100% of the screen now

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Not a fan of those either. They never match the color and just stand out more IMO. People love the glass and they DO feel better but I can't get past how they fit.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I would stay away from the really cheap ones. You can not trust them. Remember that you get what you pay for.

I have always used the Spigen Glastr screen protector on all my iPhones over the years. Never really had the opportunity to find out if they work with a drop, but have noticed that they have protected my phone screen from very minor surface scratches. Plus they feel like you are using the actual iPhone screen. I have seen and read the stories of how they have stopped an iPhone screen from shattering.

Just some more info for you to mull over. My best suggestion would be to stay far away from the real cheap ones though.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I've used Zagg and Anker. Both equally great but you can get Anker for like 20% of the cost of a Zagg.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Zagg ones are better and offered a lifetime guarantee as well.

There's no doubt that they have one of the best customer service experiences out there...and I've used their warranty replacement many times, but having tried every glass product they make on my 6s I can tell you they ALL have fitment issues with the new 6s screen curvature causing also effect & adhesion problems.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
ive tried sooooooooooooooo many different glass protectors on my 6s and all of them say 6/6s and NONE fit right they all dont really stick flush around the outside. Ive had some that dont come close to sitting flush and then the one i have on now has the closes fit ive come acoss. i say it does matter the brand because i personally have had different results from different brands. just my two sense :-D

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
ive tried sooooooooooooooo many different glass protectors on my 6s and all of them say 6/6s and NONE fit right they all dont really stick flush around the outside. Ive had some that dont come close to sitting flush and then the one i have on now has the closes fit ive come acoss. i say it does matter the brand because i personally have had different results from different brands. just my two sense :-D

I totally agree. Which one, if you don't mind me asking, is the one you have on your 6s now?

iWormie

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I don't know but I recently purchase a set of temper glass off E-bay.
They're colored and I got one that was "Matte black" to go with my phone.
Its black on the back and some black on the front, its not shiny or reflective
like the other glasses I saw most were selling. It looks and feels pretty smooth. =)

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I started believing a while ago, it's just trial and error. Whether $10 or $40, they do the same thing. My $10 protector is working for me way better than the $40 Zagg I had.

MrRJ

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site

I got a 'Daswise' edge to edge protector on Amazon about 3 months ago. It fits perfectly - there's a gap of about 1mm to the edge, but that means there is enough clearance for a case. With the apple leather case, you can't tell there's a gap.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I got a 'Daswise' edge to edge protector on Amazon about 3 months ago. It fits perfectly - there's a gap of about 1mm to the edge, but that means there is enough clearance for a case. With the apple leather case, you can't tell there's a gap.

I've given up honestly I've spent probably close between 100-125$ on glass since 6s came out and ironically my insurance claim thru square trade is 69$ I believe so I'm done with glass put on normal zag