Wi-Fi Hard Drive for Music Playing

gkendall43

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
My iPhone and Android tablet both don't have much storage. I'm looking for a way to store my MP3 collection on an external device, so that I can have access to my whole collection anytime I bring this device. I don't want to store it in the cloud because I want access to it everywhere, such as on flights. I don't want something big that plugs in because I'm afraid it would get bumped and broken off. I don't want to copy MP3s back and forth between an external storage device and my phone/tablet, I want to be able to play or stream them directly from the external device. This has lead me to consider something like a Wi-Fi hard drive.

From what I understand, each Wi-Fi hard drive has it's own iOS or Android app that you have to use to access the files on it. Is that true? It seems like you can only click on a single MP3 and have it stream one song from the pictures I've seen. I would like to be able to run a music player program and tell it to play a full album, to randomly play tracks from an artist, or randomly play tracks from my entire collection. It would be perfect if a player I already use such as PowerAmp or the Apple Music App would work with these Wi-Fi drives.

So does anyone know if what I'm after is possible? Is there a decent app that can play/stream music from a wi-fi hard drive to both iOS & Android devices?

Thanks.

gkendall43

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I just started looking into UPnP and DLNA when I noticed one of the WiFi hard drives supported them. Can I use an app like BubblePnP to play MP3s off a WiFi hard drive?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

gkendall43

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, just realized BubbleUPnP is Android only. There are a number of DLNA/UPnP client apps on the iOS app store that look they would work. In addition to WiFi hard drives I am considering a RAVPower FileHub Plus with an SD card since it also is a DLNA server plus a nice mobile router and charger.

I guess I just need to find the best iOS app for playing music over DLNA.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Wolfgang Gapp

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
The Ravpower Filehub plus will work great with IOS. I use C5, NePlayer or Plugplayer to play mp3, FLAC or ALAC Files on iPhone4 and iPad2 direct or with Chord Mojo. The navigation through Folder structure works perfect but not with Album or Interpret with the DLNA-FilhubPlus Server.
:cool:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods