Quality headphones or earphones good for telephone calls?

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I want phones better than my OEM Apple buds are at noise isolation, or noise cancellation models. I got some beats Tour 2 but telephone calls have too much of my own voice coming back, and callers say the mic tone is not as good as my white Apple units.

The goals: Isolate or cancel surrounding noise in work place, improved sound quality, and must be as good or better than the iPhone 5 - 6 earbuds.

Thanks for any suggestions.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for some input here.

I see head/ear sets mentioned here as top rated but I'm trying to learn how they are for voice calls. For some reason Apple's OEM buds don't make my own voice sound strange like ear plugs. My guess is probably because they don't isolate like ear plugs.

It would be great to know if a true noise cancelling model is better when it comes to your own voice and calls. Within that, I wonder if the plug/bud type or over ear is better - Bose 20i vs over ear QC 25, beats Studio etc as examples.

As far as comfort, my imagination or guessing is other bud type sets will feel much like the beats Tour 2 I'm trying. The Tour 2.0, JayBird and Bose have the wings or arms to help fit but I see the Tour 2 works without the wings.

Any input will be so appreciated because I hate the shopping and returning stuff that many do or seem to enjoy.

Thank you.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for some input here.

I see head/ear sets mentioned here as top rated but I'm trying to learn how they are for voice calls. For some reason Apple's OEM buds don't make my own voice sound strange like ear plugs. My guess is probably because they don't isolate like ear plugs.

It would be great to know if a true noise cancelling model is better when it comes to your own voice and calls. Within that, I wonder if the plug/bud type or over ear is better - Bose 20i vs over ear QC 25, beats Studio etc as examples.

As far as comfort, my imagination or guessing is other bud type sets will feel much like the beats Tour 2 I'm trying. The Tour 2.0, JayBird and Bose have the wings or arms to help fit but I see the Tour 2 works without the wings.

Any input will be so appreciated because I hate the shopping and returning stuff that many do or seem to enjoy.

Thank you.

The Etymotics do not have noise canceling features, but have the that Etymotics calls 3-flange ear tips which fit extremely well, are quite comfortable to wear, and that create awesome isolation. I’ve been told that my voice sounds as good as in person. There are also multiple ear tip types. I don’t recall of all of these come standard or if I actually purchased some separately.

View attachment 74701

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The Etymotics do not have noise canceling features, but have the that Etymotics calls 3-flange ear tips which fit extremely well, are quite comfortable to wear, and that create awesome isolation. I’ve been told that my voice sounds as good as in person. There are also multiple ear tip types. I don’t recall of all of these come standard or if I actually purchased some separately.

View attachment 74701

Thank you. I've noted these if I decided to go with an in ear type. They really look like the better mouse trap for that type.

After homework, shopping and trials I've stuck with my Apple buds but foam covers from Radio Shack really help them seal.

For nice sound I got a Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 set. It's just so nice in so many important ways. Yes, not noise cancelling but I don't fly that often and good conventional headphones isolate me from the world.

baldhero

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I actually only use the stock headphone Apple provided when it comes in the box. Don't think spending a large amount of cash on headphones suits me, since I have car speaker system on my way to work and a speaker system at home

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I actually only use the stock headphone Apple provided when it comes in the box. Don't think spending a large amount of cash on headphones suits me, since I have car speaker system on my way to work and a speaker system at home

I've spent so much money on headphones I could bought an iPhone 6 plus 128gb full retail price lol.

V-Moda M-100 $299
v-mods XS $199
Bose soundtrue in ear $129
Beats solo 2 $199
Sennheiser momentum in ear $99.95 and my current favorite for in ear
Jaybird Bluebuds x $150

If you want to talk about my life time of just owning a smartphone I'll add
Klipsch S4 $99
Beats tour $149
Ultimate ears some earbuds at Costco $30
Some V-moda earphones at Costco $30
Various crap $1-$200?