Which Mophie case to get & are they durable?

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Greetings iMore users!

After a short break away from the forums I'm back and looking for some wisdom from the members here! I think I want to pick up a Mophie case. I've been using my phone a lot more on the weekends and have been draining the battery pretty quick (plus it will definitely come in handy if I have plans after work). My questions are:

1) What size should I get? I don't know if the Helium will be enough power or if I should just get the Air? I'm not crazy about the exposed buttons because I have bigger hands and trying to get in that groove might be hard.

2) Are these cases pretty durable? I probably won't leave it on as my daily case and just use it when I want some extra power. I don't want to pay $75-$100 for a case that's going to break/wear out within a couple months.

Thanks all!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
re: Which Mophie case to get & are they durable?

Great to have you aboard the Mophie Case band wagon, lol. I have my share of them, currently 6. I use the helium usually on the weekends. It's a bit lighter and I'm usually home or by a charger. Now during the week I use the Plus, not that much bigger but it gives me a lot more battery time. With all of them I use the case first, always last longer, takes more power to charge the phone than to use it.

As for durability, I have dropped mine numerous times along with my children and my wife, they can take a pretty good beating. If you have an issue with the, they are great to deal with I had an issue with one charging and returned it with no issues. One of my co-workers returned on that was over a year old and they sent him a new one. There are ones cheaper but I have a 64 G iPhone 5S, I'm not going to cheap out on a battery case.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I purchased two Mophie Air (black and white) for my wife and I, and I couldn't be happier with the extra battery/case. They have come in handy quite a few times and the durability is great. My wife uses her Mophie Air for a everyday case because she talks A LOT on the phone ...SMILE

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I have Mophie Helium for my 5S I get a extra 80% from it. Never dropped my 5S in the Mophie but I also had one for my 4S and I dropped that quite a few times in the Mophie and it kept my 4S pristine.
The one you get should be based on how much extra juice you want.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Mophie Help

Thanks for the input gentlemen. iEd - do you know what the difference is between the helium and air?

Also, do either of you habitually take the case on/off? Wondering how it'll hold up if I switch cases for the weekend.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Mophie Help

Helium is 1500 mAh

Air is 1700

Plus is 2100

Helium I believe is thinner than the Air.

I take the Helium on and off all the time. I use it mostly when traveling or out and about a won't be able to find a outlet.
I had the Air on the 4S Helium on my 5S. I was surprised at the thinness of the Helium when I got it.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

I switch case almost daily or every other day. No issues. As far as the Helium's I like the ones Apple sells, they are the clip in type, which is different from the slide in ones that Mophie has, they are made just for Apple. These are just the helium's, they seem to be more secure in the case.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I remove cases on a weekly basis, sometimes on a daily basis and the Mophie Air is holding up great.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone and sorry I previously missed your post Zerog (I was trying to use Tapatalk while at work and it just wasn't updating properly - didn't see your posts until after I replied/after the fact).

I think I'm probably going to end up with an Air. I like the style better (with the button covers) and I think the added battery power can't hurt. The tipping point for me was definitely the durability and being able to easily switch out the case. There have been too many times when I've gone to a concert, been on vacation or even just out with friends and my phone has died (I ever start out the night with practically 100% battery). Zero - good preemptive comment about starting with the battery pack on. BrindaWithAnI used to always swear that using the mophie first greatly extended the life of the phone.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth.... With my Air for my iphone 5s, when I'm down to about 5% battery left in my phone, I turn on the air and it only charges my phone back up to about 75% full.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So after unplugging the case/phone from the charger, the case should be turned "on"? I've been keeping it off, then turning it on when I need to recharge.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes if you keep it on after charging you will get way better battery life as opposed to charging it with the case.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who benefitted from this topic! I'm going to try and make it out this weekend to get my Mophie. I live in Pittsburgh and we got a ton of snow Tuesday into yesterday. Can't wait for the Spring (and golf season). Thanks again everyone!!

Last edited:

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a Mophie Helium for my 5S and a Mophie Juicepack Plus for my 4S and I love them both. The Plus is extremely durable. I've dropped that thing a million times and it still works and protects my phone very well. I've only dropped the helium once but so far so good!

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I agave the Morphie Helium for my 5S.
I keep the case on all the time. Fortunately, I have enough USB Micro cables to charge the device with the case on in my house as well as my car.
Good Luck

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks again everyone. I am now the proud owner of a Mophie Juice Pack Air (Black)! I have a feeling this is really going to come in handy a lot (especially over the summer).

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I've used my Mophie Juice Pack Air a few times this week. Each day I started with the case turned on, using that power first, then used my phone battery. Today, when the case got low, my phone kept beeping like it was being plugged in repeatedly. Once I realized what was happening, I noticed that the charging lightning bolt was flickering on/off. The first day I used this Juice Pack, I was at work and it was on silent all day (so I guess it might've done this before - I just didn't know since it was on silent). Is that something I should worry about? Wasn't sure if they get finicky whenever the case gets low? Thanks, guys!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro