IEM shopping. What earbuds/headphones do you use?

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm shopping around for some new earbuds. The Apple earbuds sound pretty good, but lack proper isolation. So those of you who have replaced your Apple earbuds with something better, what are you using?

Currently, I'm considering a few different options. I prefer in-ear noise isolating earbuds... But I've been looking at a few full size over-ear headphones as well.

IEMs:
-MEElectronics A161P
-Shure SE215
-Monster Turbine

Over-ear:
-Audio-Technica M50S
-Sennheiser HD 518

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
So after more research and discussion, my choices have changed and boiled down a bit.

-MEElectronics A151 (warm + sweet sound, very accurate for the price $50 Amazon)
-Shure SE215 (mid centric with warm lows, decent highs, accurate $100 Amazon)
-Rock It Sounds R-50m (analytical accurate sound, with slightly balanced/warm leaning. $125 direct)
-Brainwavz B2 (very flat neutral and analytical, very accurate. $130 Amazon)
-HiFiMan RE400 (neutral yet warm. Think Reference monitor + musicality, decent accuracy, but not flat. $100 Amazon)

And my guilty craving: Soul by Ludacris SL99 (bass heavy, warm to dark, heavily colored, yet somewhat "balanced" considering. $50 Amazon)

I'm leaning towards the Rock It Sounds, as a few reviews stated they remind them of the Brainwavz B2 in terms of accuracy, but with a small dose of balance in the lows and highs, bringing some life and musicality to the cold analytical side. The RE400s also have my attention, as they're described as being very good all-arounders, with punchy accurate tight bass, from high to low bass, crisp mids, and gentle highs. Good across the board, but great no where. Musically great, but not terribly analytical.

But I might also pick up the Soul SL99s just because. They're supposedly better than the Beats by Dre Tour ($150+) in terms of lively warmth in the sound, with tight punchy bass, though not as powerful in the raw bass as the Beats... yet offer some mid clarity more like the Bose MiE2 ($120) plus a decent bump in the highs for balance, all for about $50 direct from the manufacturer through Amazon (original price $100)

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
The iBeats from beats by Dre are amazing. Worth every penny

I've considered the Beats Tour earbuds, but the Soul SL99s are cheaper and as good, if not better. I haven't had a chance to listen to the iBeats... But I'd imagine they're comparable to the Soul SL49s.

I picked up a set of Sennheiser CX300-II IEMs today, to hold me over for now while I continue shopping. I also have a local Craigslister selling a brand new set of Beats Studio 2.0, the new 2013 edition, still sealed in plastic, for a decent price, which I might pick up just to have.

smelton3

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I use beats studio. Perfect over the ear, comfortable, noise cancellation, and I really enjoy the sound quality. Worth the money.

Sent from my AT&T LTE iPad Air. White in color of course.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
What music do you like?
What is your music source going to be?
Do you want a warm or analytical sound?
Are you a bass head (do you like bass)?
What is your budget?
Custom or non custom?

There are some wildly varying options in this thread, some more expensive than others, and these are questions (minus the custom vs non custom) that must be answered to give you a proper recommendation. I would direct you to another forum that specialized in this particular topic but you'd be asked the same question and probably more. I myself use Phonak Audeo PFE-112's but not with my iPhone or any Apple device. Apple device's are useless to buy good earphones for unless you going to rock a Classic iPod and install RockBox on it. If not, then maybe just get Apple's in ear's and save yourself money.

Synchronistically transposed

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
What music do you like?
What is your music source going to be?
Do you want a warm or analytical sound?
Are you a bass head (do you like bass)?
What is your budget?
Custom or non custom?

There are some wildly varying options in this thread, some more expensive than others, and these are questions (minus the custom vs non custom) that must be answered to give you a proper recommendation. I would direct you to another forum that specialized in this particular topic but you'd be asked the same question and probably more. I myself use Phonak Audeo PFE-112's but not with my iPhone or any Apple device. Apple device's are useless to buy good earphones for unless you going to rock a Classic iPod and install RockBox on it. If not, then maybe just get Apple's in ear's and save yourself money.

-I listen to a broad range. Hip hop/rap, r&b, rock (alternative mostly, some emo/screamo) pop, country, electronic, classical, opera...
-My source is predominantly AAC/MP3 through my iPod, iPhone, iPad, or MacBook
-I've never had anything terribly analytical, so I'd like to venture slightly in that direction and get my feet wet, but still keep some warmth and musicality.
-I like bass, but I wouldn't say I'm a bass head. I don't want the bass to overpower mids and highs, and I prefer tight punchy accurate bass over deep boomy muddy bass. But I do want bass present and loud.
-I'd like to spend maybe $200 or so, total. (Not including the Sennheisers I just bought) I was planning on getting maybe two different IEMs with slightly different sound. But I'd like to spend around $100 per set. Give or take. (I'm more concerned with getting a good deal. I'd rather spend $150 on a set that's normally $200+ than a $100 set at full price.)
-non-custom, unless a decent custom set can be had in my budget.

I know the iPods and iPhones aren't the best for listening to audio, but there are some IEMs out there that are easy enough to drive, and sound decent. That's what I'm looking for. Good all around sound, balanced with some accuracy, that will be easy enough to drive with my mobile devices. I know it's not worth getting $1000 custom IEMs for my iPhone, but there has to be some great budget IEMs that blow away the stock Apple earbuds. Apple's in-ears are an option. But would you say they're better than other sets in the same price range? MEElectronics A151s can be had for similar money, and seem widely praised.

My first IEMs were SkullCandy. While the bass was awesome (loud) compared to the Apple earbuds, the overall sound is terrible. The Sennheiser CX300-II IEMs I just got are better, so far... but also not great. Much cleaner bass. Much better mids. Much better separation. But lacking in the highs and sub-bass. Kinda mid-centric with decent bass punch before it goes too low.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
-I listen to a broad range. Hip hop/rap, r&b, rock (alternative mostly, some emo/screamo) pop, country, electronic, classical, opera...
-My source is predominantly AAC/MP3 through my iPod, iPhone, iPad, or MacBook
-I've never had anything terribly analytical, so I'd like to venture slightly in that direction and get my feet wet, but still keep some warmth and musicality.
-I like bass, but I wouldn't say I'm a bass head. I don't want the bass to overpower mids and highs, and I prefer tight punchy accurate bass over deep boomy muddy bass. But I do want bass present and loud.
-I'd like to spend maybe $200 or so, total. (Not including the Sennheisers I just bought) I was planning on getting maybe two different IEMs with slightly different sound. But I'd like to spend around $100 per set. Give or take. (I'm more concerned with getting a good deal. I'd rather spend $150 on a set that's normally $200+ than a $100 set at full price.)
-non-custom, unless a decent custom set can be had in my budget.

I know the iPods and iPhones aren't the best for listening to audio, but there are some IEMs out there that are easy enough to drive, and sound decent. That's what I'm looking for. Good all around sound, balanced with some accuracy, that will be easy enough to drive with my mobile devices. I know it's not worth getting $1000 custom IEMs for my iPhone, but there has to be some great budget IEMs that blow away the stock Apple earbuds. Apple's in-ears are an option. But would you say they're better than other sets in the same price range? MEElectronics A151s can be had for similar money, and seem widely praised.

My first IEMs were SkullCandy. While the bass was awesome (loud) compared to the Apple earbuds, the overall sound is terrible. The Sennheiser CX300-II IEMs I just got are better, so far... but also not great. Much cleaner bass. Much better mids. Much better separation. But lacking in the highs and sub-bass. Kinda mid-centric with decent bass punch before it goes too low.

Okay, yeah the new EarPods are definitely better than what Apple has offered in the past. As far as warm and analytical goes, that's a tough one. I would say some Shure's for warm, Etymotic for analytical. MEElectronics has some decent sets, I had some for a while but they didn't suit me. After work I'll do some research for specific models but I'm thinking maybe some Etymotic's with foam ear tips may fit the bill for warm and analytical, but I will get back to you on that one.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Having trouble getting to specific models, but I would look at Shure and V-Moda for sure. I would also venture to say that Jays may not be a bad choice either, but I've never heard a set so I'm not too sure on the sound signature of those. All those companies have models within your range. Even Etymotic Research has some in your range, but you would have to have foam eartips and even then I don't know if it would be warm enough to heat up the cold analytical sound that Etymotic is famous for.

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Having trouble getting to specific models, but I would look at Shure and V-Moda for sure. I would also venture to say that Jays may not be a bad choice either, but I've never heard a set so I'm not too sure on the sound signature of those. All those companies have models within your range. Even Etymotic Research has some in your range, but you would have to have foam eartips and even then I don't know if it would be warm enough to heat up the cold analytical sound that Etymotic is famous for.

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

Yeah I'm interested in the Shure SE215s. They're about $100 or so. I haven't checked out V-Moda or Jays. Etymotic ER4s seem to be popular, but they're $300 which is a little more than I want to spend at this point. Not until I'm sure they have a sound I like.

I do remember seeing V-Moda Crossfade over-ears as the Deal of the Day on Amazon, maybe a week ago... For like $60. I haven't seen their IEMs yet.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I am still using my Etymotics HF3. I did mod them with the ACS earmolds and that absolutely transforms them from meh to wow. I do travel frequently on business so the isolation is a big draw for me. Great detail and air, fantastic highs and mids. Diana Krall sounds real. Bass tightens up with the ACS earmolds but they're still not bass heavy at all. Not dance music IEMs at all. In the past also a big fan of the Shures. For cheap bass? Klipsch S3 at $70 or so. Amazing sound too for the price IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Skull candy.

Skullcandy Low Rider

I have some Skullcandy in-ears now. (Ink'd) My third set of their in-ears, having a set of 50/50's and another set of Ink'd before, and I had a set of their over-ears before as well. (Hesh) I have yet to hear a Skullcandy set that is decent. Very sloppy bass. Loud, but muddy. Weak mids. Pumped up treble that really fatigues your ears after extended listening. Little clarity or separation. Real lack of finer details. I was initially impressed by the bass and isolation, as they were my first experience with in-ears. But after some time listening to them, I think besides the isolation and loud boomy bass, the Apple EarPods provide a cleaner listening experience.

Beats solo HD

The only Beats I am loosely interested in is the new Studio 2.0 (2013) as they supposedly cleaned up the sound a lot, and increased the build quality. The Beats Tour 2.0 in-ear set look nice, but I don't think they will sound half as good as they look. I am hoping to borrow a set from a friend to try them out.

Sony (in ear)

I'm considering a set of Sony in-ears. The XBA-4iP seems to look like a monster setup on paper. Especially for the price. But we all know, specs are only half the story. Four BA drivers per ear should sound amazing though.

Sennheiser (in ear)

I currently have a set of Sennheiser in-ears. The CX 300-II. Nice for the price. But I mainly bought them to hold me over until I buy something more substantial. The IE 8i in-ears are supposedly fantastic, but they're well over $300 a set, which is more than I want to spend on a single set right now.

Last edited:

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
My Sennheiser CX300-II IEMs have burned in for probably 40 hours or so. The sound has softened somewhat. I find myself turning the volume up to almost 75% to get the sound where I want it. The mids are pretty consistently clear and loud. The bass is still punchy and adequate. The sub-bass is a bit better now. The highs/treble has cleaned up a bit. Clear, but not harsh at all. Even at 75% volume, I can listen to these for hours without ear fatigue. Overall, pretty happy with these as a cheap set. My only serious complaint would be isolation, as the provided in-ear tips don't offer the best fit possible... But decent enough. The sound isn't perfect, by far... But enjoyable for the 50% off price I paid... and much better sounding than some other, more expensive IEMs I've tried.

As for my higher end choice, I'm pulling the trigger on the HiFiMan RE-400 IEMs this weekend.

iPhone4iPad

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Definitely look at Beats Studio, Pro, urBeats and Tour.
Bose - QuietComfort series. They have earphones AND headphones. All of them are fantastic. I own the Beats Studio (2011), Pro and urBeats and the Bose QC15 and the Harman Kardon NC.

The Harman Kardon's aren't exactly comfortable for long wear. I prefer using headphones, so the Bose and beats headphones are great but I prefer Bose because I find the sound much better but if the Harman had better comfort definitely them. The sound wipes everything away.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk 2

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I received my HiFiMan RE-400 IEMs today.

My first impression out of the box: impressive. I will start a separate thread to properly review them, and compare them to my other IEMs, and others I have had a chance to listen to over the past few weeks.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought a set of Bose quiet comfort noise canceling headphones.
u6yna3et.jpg
Expensive, but well worth the money.