Review:
    Now that I've had some time to actually play around with the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Mini Cover, I felt I owed it a better review. Overall it is the same size as the iPad Mini, and it's weighs almost as much. I'm not one hundred percent certain, but I am fairly certain, that the majority of the back end of the keyboard is the battery. It has magnets on a swivel much like a Smart Cover does, though the Smart Cover magnets are stronger. It isn't hard to accidentally disconnect the keyboard from your iPad. The precut groove for your iPad to sit in whilst typing works very well, the only drawback is that you can't adjust the angle...at all. While it works for typing, I like to use it as a stand sometimes and then the angle can be a bit off for viewing videos or reading.

One thing I really like is that Logitech didn't try to fit a full size keyboard with all the keys into the length of an iPad Mini. That's one of the reasons why I chose it over Apple's own iHome keyboard for the iPad Mini. There are many numerous keyboard shortcuts still in place that at least Windows users are familiar with (I have not yet purchased my MacBook Pro so I can only speak for Windows), such as music and volume controls on the number pad above the keyboard. There is also a keyboard shortcut that will bring up the iPad's on screen keyboard, what appears to be a web browser shortcut though it doesn't seem to work on my keyboard. There is a search shortcut that brings down spotlight search while on the home screen, what appears to be a voice memo shortcut that actually calls up Siri, and there is even a screen lock shortcut. There is also an icon of a flower in a square that I can't seem to figure out or use.

As far as other built in keyboard features, you have the symbols indicating which keys are for cut, copy, and paste, caps lock, and tab are built into other keys on the keyboard. One of the greatest things I learned about the keyboard while playing around with it is that the left and right arrows keys can be used to highlight text in said directions. You also have the other standard double functions of keys on the number pad for symbols and different brackets, forward slash, and back slash. It's everything you would expect to find a keyboard, it even has a home button key so you don't have the press the one on your iPad for the fast app switcher, or going back to the home screen in general, a long press will even call up Siri.

When I first bought the keyboard and I was first playing around with it I was a little disappointed that I had paid money for the thing. But very shortly after that I found I was making far less errors typing on it, and actually making more errors on my laptop's keyboard. I've become so accustomed to using it with my iPad that it's hard to type on the virtual keyboard anymore, and it feels very strange to use my iPad without it. I do wish it had backlit keys, that would very helpful for typing in low light environments (the very reason I bought both the iPad and keyboard for).

Build Quality:
    The build quality of the keyboard is outstanding. It is made from aluminum like the iPad, which adds to it's weight. It is even anodized in the same colors as the iPad's. The anodizing was done very well, the only scratch I've come across on it I've had since day one. They keys feel great, just like a full size keyboard, just smaller. I even accidentally dropped it once and a single key fell off, it popped back into place with the greatest ease and has shown no sign of falling off or being off center. I couldn't even tell you what key it was anymore. The only thing I wish was better is the magnets in the swivel to attach to the iPad when not in use.

Pros:
    Lightweight/Portable
    Types nicely
    Holds the iPad firmly in tray and with magnets

Cons:
    Still a little pricy for a keyboard
    A little small for average to large hands
    Has a slight learning curve to use efficiently

Bottom Line:
    If you can type on a smaller keyboard (think netbook), don't mind the slight learning curve for the different placement and consolidation of a few keys, and don't think $79.99 is too much for a keyboard, it is an amazing and efficient tool for typing with on an iPad. I've actually typed this whole review using it, and have very few mistakes considering the size. For those with more average to larger size hands, I would recommend getting a full size bluetooth keyboard instead.

Disclaimer: I do not own the image used in this review.

Blazin' From Mini 2 You
    Laura Knotek and zdn1042 like this.
    12-06-2013 07:47 PM
    Thank you for sharing your views on the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Mini. It is appreciated...
    12-06-2013 10:37 PM
    I'm surprised to hear that it almost weighs the same as the Mini.

Thank you for the mini review.
    12-09-2013 06:10 AM
    I'm surprised to hear that it almost weighs the same as the Mini.

Thank you for the mini review.
    Yeah, that's because it's made of aluminum and it seems to have a fairly large battery. I've never actually run the battery out on it, but I would say you could get around a week of moderate usage on a single charge. It also goes into sleep mode when not used for a period of time to preserve battery life.

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity 2 You!
    zdn1042 likes this.
    12-10-2013 09:21 PM
    So I'm guessing that none of you like the typing experience on the software keyboard. To be honest, I didn't either at first. But I have been using the software keyboard for a while now and a very good at using it. I like that it auto corrects. It saves me some time from going back to make corrections. I do have an Apple Bluetooth keyboard. I usually keep it at the office. But I am just as effective without it.
    12-11-2013 01:29 PM
    So I'm guessing that none of you like the typing experience on the software keyboard. To be honest, I didn't either at first. But I have been using the software keyboard for a while now and a very good at using it. I like that it auto corrects. It saves me some time from going back to make corrections. I do have an Apple Bluetooth keyboard. I usually keep it at the office. But I am just as effective without it.
    It's just not viable for extended periods of writing, such as this review I wrote using it. Many times I don't want to fuss with a laptop but I want to write, this fills that gap.

12-11-2013 11:06 PM
    It's just not viable for extended periods of writing, such as this review I wrote using it. Many times I don't want to fuss with a laptop but I want to write, this fills that gap.

I used to think the same way. But when you practice with it you will get better. When I first got an all touch screen phone I thought there's is no way I'm going to be able to type on it like I did with my BlackBerry. Now I type just fine and probably a little faster. It just takes time.
    12-13-2013 10:32 PM
    I used to think the same way. But when you practice with it you will get better. When I first got an all touch screen phone I thought there's is no way I'm going to be able to type on it like I did with my BlackBerry. Now I type just fine and probably a little faster. It just takes time.
    Yeah I have no problem typing on my iPhone, but I have small hands and have a hard time typing even in portrait orientation with the split keyboard.

12-13-2013 10:56 PM
    Yeah I have no problem typing on my iPhone, but I have small hands and have a hard time typing even in portrait orientation with the split keyboard.

I don't type with my thumbs. I type like I would on a computer keyboard.
    12-14-2013 07:34 AM
    Two questions for those who own this case:
    1. Is it easy to remove/install the Mini in the case?
    2. Does it work with the Mini retina?
    12-14-2013 08:46 AM
    Two questions for those who own this case:
    1. Is it easy to remove/install the Mini in the case?
    2. Does it work with the Mini retina?
    Yes, only magnets and a catch, as far as if it works with the rMini, I'm not sure, I know the rMini is slightly thicker so I don't know if it'll fit in the catch, but the magnets would still work I would think. But removal is very easy.

cyberpaw likes this.
    12-14-2013 05:12 PM
    I don't type with my thumbs. I type like I would on a computer keyboard.
    I couldn't do it, I always rest my fingers on the home keys like I learned and I couldn't do that on a virtual keyboard without always typing them or nullifying the other keys.

12-14-2013 05:13 PM
    After all the practice and the strides that I made with typing on the screen, I decided to go to a bluetooth keyboard. My job has outfitted me with a Zagg backlit keyboard case. And I have fallen in love with this thing. I still type with the software keyboard when I don't have it in the Zagg case, but I do prefer the physical keys.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    02-26-2014 07:11 AM
    I just got the Anker case. Looks very similar to the Logitech case, but the keys look a little better and it is a lot cheaper, about a quarter of the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-08-2014 01:34 AM