life proof or atlas for iPhone 5s?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So I'm thinking about buying a waterproof case and was wondering which you recommend? I see both the atlas and new life proof have been redesigned to take advantage of the fingerprint sensor, wasn't sure if anyone had any experience with the nuud life proof and how well it works without having a screen protector to prevent water from getting in. Thoughts?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So I'm thinking about buying a waterproof case and was wondering which you recommend? I see both the atlas and new life proof have been redesigned to take advantage of the fingerprint sensor, wasn't sure if anyone had any experience with the nuud life proof and how well it works without having a screen protector to prevent water from getting in. Thoughts?

I had the nuud with the 5. It's a great case. I water tested it when I got it without issue and used in by the pool all summer but never dunked it on purpose. I looked at it like my car insurance. It was there if I needed it but preferred not to find out

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I had the nuud with the 5. It's a great case. I water tested it when I got it without issue and used in by the pool all summer but never dunked it on purpose. I looked at it like my car insurance. It was there if I needed it but preferred not to find out

I agree. I was just curious if for those who had one, what their experience was like. Thanks

Also how's the screen without the protector? I know the fre had somewhat less usability due to the screen protector

SlydWyz

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I use the N??d on my 5S exclusively. I've taken it to the indoor water park with the kids and it's seen it's time in the few snowfalls we've had so far. I was close to buying an Atlas, but didn't have any near me to measure if the flash cutout was large enough for the dual flash.

If I had to choose again, I'd still get a N??d. I think it's the best case I've had so far.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I use the N??d on my 5S exclusively. I've taken it to the indoor water park with the kids and it's seen it's time in the few snowfalls we've had so far. I was close to buying an Atlas, but didn't have any near me to measure if the flash cutout was large enough for the dual flash.

If I had to choose again, I'd still get a N??d. I think it's the best case I've had so far.

Are you using the one for the 5 and not using the fingerprint scanner?

SlydWyz

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Correct, it is for the 5. At this time, I have no need to make use of the scanner. I'm sure when LifeProof makes it available in the future (and there's another great sale like yesterday's), I'll probably pick it up.

As I've said in other threads, it fits fantastically, and all other functions work great. I'm very happy with the case :)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a question about using my Fre from my i5 on my i5s

I plan on using it during my camping trips only but was concerned that the slight Cup imprint of the Fre screen protector will upset the i5s home button

Can anyone put my mind at ease about this concern

Sent from my iPhone 5 soon to be 5s Gold 64GB

SlydWyz

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
My wife uses the Frē case on her 5s, and her phone gets more use each day than mine (between herself and 3 kids, it's always in use). There is no indication that the home button has any issues because of the case.

JOEY NEAT

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I have the Lifeproof Fre for 5S. The fingerprint reader is covered to protect it, but it does not work consistently in my experience. I have the Atlas for the 5S being delivered tomorrow. I'll post how that works out.

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I just have a problem with the Newton rings on my Lifeproof for the 5S. I'm going to try baby powder to see if I can get them to go away. It's worse on this one compared to the one I bought which was a iPhone 5 model.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I have the Lifeproof Fre for 5S. The fingerprint reader is covered to protect it, but it does not work consistently in my experience. I have the Atlas for the 5S being delivered tomorrow. I'll post how that works out.

Can't wait to hear your results

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I love the Fre for my 5s so far. The scanner works fine, you may just want to rescan before you add the case and make sure you really get the corners of the case.

JOEY NEAT

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I received the Incipio Atlas for the 5S today. After testing it and making sure it was watertight I put the phone in the case, locked the screen and tested the fingerprint scanner and it worked flawlessly! It has read my print consistently over the last hour of use. I has worked better the the Lifeproof Fre for 5S so far. Plus the general build of the Atlas seems tighter than the Fre. Big plus for the Atlas is no screw in plug for head set, the Atlas has a rubber plug attached to the case! So far so good.
The problem with the Fre for me is the circular are of the reader is not perfectly cut out.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I received the Incipio Atlas for the 5S today. After testing it and making sure it was watertight I put the phone in the case, locked the screen and tested the fingerprint scanner and it worked flawlessly! It has read my print consistently over the last hour of use. I has worked better the the Lifeproof Fre for 5S so far. Plus the general build of the Atlas seems tighter than the Fre. Big plus for the Atlas is no screw in plug for head set, the Atlas has a rubber plug attached to the case! So far so good.
The problem with the Fre for me is the circular are of the reader is not perfectly cut out.

Could you test audio and call quality with the atlas? On my iPhone 5 that was an area the atlas did awful in and reason I had to return it.

pstmstr

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
Got the Lifeproof NUUD for my 5s in yesterday. Fingerprint sensor works well most of the time but not as good as without it. Not a bad case overall.

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The call quality on the 5s fre has been good.

You guys have to take into consideration there's no perfect case for a fingerprint scanner. Just a matter of give some get some.

JOEY NEAT

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I agree Prophecy2, but for me with the Fre I had to ender my passcode more than have the reader read my print.

You guys have to take into consideration there's no perfect case for a fingerprint scanner. Just a matter of give some get some.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I'm more worried about call quality than the scanner working. I understand its waterproof, I could go without the scanner working since I rarely use it. The call quality would be a huge deterrent though.

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm more worried about call quality than the scanner working. I understand its waterproof, I could go without the scanner working since I rarely use it. The call quality would be a huge deterrent though.

Call quality has been amazing. Not one person has had any complaints. I did have the nuud for 5 previously and had problems...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73