Bent iPhone 5s

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey all

As most of you might not know. I had to exchange my iPhone 5s for a new one. The previous device had a slight bend to it around the volume buttons. Causing the screen to become loose on that end as well.

I normally pocket the device front left or right. But I have tried all kinda of cases. But mostly been using the tech armor case from Spigen. And took it off the other day to clean and that's when I noticed the bend and screen deprecation. Apple replaced it. No question asked. But now I am gun shy on what to use.

So my question to you all. What cases do you suggest? What is working best for you?

I have considered an Otterbox again. To hopefully not allow a bend to happen to this new device.

I am sure most of you do t use anything and have not seen this happen to your device.

So what ya think?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
WoW :eek: I have never heard of this happening to anyone's phone...at least around here by me. This is definately a first. As far as cases go, when I used my 4S regardless of the gazillion cases I had, when I did use a case I was always happy with Speck candyshells. Now having my 5C, one of my kids got me a Speck candyshell grip and I really like it !!

So, I'd suggest Speck candyshells.....and if the bulkiness of a case doesn't hinder you putting in your front pocket I'd suggest the OB defender, or if Griffin makes the Survivor for the 5S I'd suggest that too.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up, I will stay away from that one. I really don't like cases, but its a must. The best one for me, so far has been LifeProof.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all

What is crazy about all this. Was it slight pressure on my leg that triggered the slight bend?

With a case in. Yes cases flex etc. but maybe something more rigid?

Amazing with more and more people pocketing devices. You would think it would be happening more. Even people putting the device in their back pocket.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all

What is crazy about all this. Was it slight pressure on my leg that triggered the slight bend?

Amazing with more and more people pocketing devices. You would think it would be happening more. Even people putting the device in their back pocket.

MR has a few posts of this happening with the iPhone 5. I also read about the 5S having this problem too here: http://m.cultofmac.com/cultofmac/#!/entry/iphone-5s-bending-in-peoples-pockets,525299643c1300734d0eff56/1 I can see it happening with the 5S too since both phones are made up of the same parts. I think the option of a non flex case is your best bet for eliminating this problem in the future. I've used Speck CandyShell cases on my 5 and 5S, and I think they are strong enough to prevent this while eliminating the bulk that come with some other strong type cases. Also, the new Speck CandyShell cases come with front faceplate protectors that you can try....

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1384016127.059476.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1384016145.195366.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1384016156.429733.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1384016167.378596.jpg

Figured I would load up some pictures to show you all the slight bend and screen separation.

Again Apple is aware of the problem and will exchange with out question.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all

It is quite crazy indeed !! It does make you wonder what caused it....and considering you had a case on it you would think that would help keep it from "flexing" or bending the wrong way.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Looks like several millimeters bend at minimum. Glad Apple is stepping up on this.

Maybe cases like Element or similar with rigid frames are a way to minimize risk.

P@t

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
The bent iPhone 5 is very common and Apple at first tried to deny many users. But eventually came around after the numerous complaints. The bend occurs at the volume button area. I haven't seen as many reports on the new 5s models, but def saw a lot of the first iPhone 5.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 41953View attachment 41954View attachment 41955View attachment 41956

Figured I would load up some pictures to show you all the slight bend and screen separation.

Again Apple is aware of the problem and will exchange with out question.

Thanks for sharing the pics it made it easier to believe but seems hard to imagine it happening but thin has it's drawbacks I guess

My girlfriend sticks her i4 in her tight jeans back pocket and sits all over the place but being thicker and smaller it hasn't been an issue

Sent from my iPhone 5

P@t

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Google bent iPhone 5 and you'll see plenty of posts about it.

Thanks for sharing the pics it made it easier to believe but seems hard to imagine it happening but thin has it's drawbacks I guess

My girlfriend sticks her i4 in her tight jeans back pocket and sits all over the place but being thicker and smaller it hasn't been an issue

Sent from my iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2