Question about Otterbox Commuter Case for Iphone 5

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if I could get some help from people who currently own and use the Otterbox Commuter Case for the Iphone 5. I purchased the case from Verizon Wireless earlier today, and after reading some peoples comments, I believe on Amazon, I read that someone had a problem with the hard case around the Apple logo on the rear of the phone, he stated that it left scuff marks/a black ring around the apple logo where the case was seated. I of course immediately took the case off to check my phone and did notice a black ring around the rear Apple logo, but was able to remove with a Zeis Lens wipe, and microfiber cloth, but of course I got nervous and with my ocd I put my old case back on. I was wondering if I could get some feedback from people who have been using the case, if you have noticed a problem, or worse yet permanent gouging or a ring forming on the rear of your phone from the case? I am assuming it would be visible around the camera area also? Please Help, this is my first "quality" case that I put on my phone (have been using generic hard silicone cases) but I do not want to use this case if it is going to do permanent damage to the back of my phone, so I figured I would ask for help here on my trusted forum before I sadly take it back to Verizon. Thanks so much in advance!!

Also was wondering about the case, if anyone has any problems with the slipperiness of the outer casing while using the phone, and if the power/wake button ever becomes easier to depress? I mean I am a pretty big guy, and it seems like I REALLY have to press to get the power button to work, I just don't want to break the power button!

Thank you so much in advance! I searched around the forums and could not find much regarding the issue, and figured people who have had the case on for awhile would know if the case
was doing any damage to the back of the phone!

RescueEMT911

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I was able to find the review that was left about the question I am inquiring about, it was actually on otterbox.com in the review area of the Otterbox Commuter for Iphone 5

"DO NOT BUY THIS CASE!
February 20, 2013
Guest42
I purchased this case for my iPhone 5 a couple of months ago. It did a great job of protecting the phone, and I didn't have any complaints about it...until I took it off. This case completely destroyed my phone. The phone has deep scratches on the back and sides where the case gouged into the metal. I'm very upset! I will definitely NOT be purchasing another OtterBox case in the future.
Pros: Durable
Cons: damages your phone!"

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have heard similar things about Otterbox cases. I haven't had it happen to me personally because I only used my Otterbox case for a week. Like you, I got nervous from reading the poor reviews and went with something else. I have the Griffin Survivor case and it fits well and is dust proof. I believe the dust is what gets inside the Otterbox case and causes scratches to the phone. Those cases are pretty expensive and if your phone will end up scratched anyway, then it seems counter productive to get one.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The ring is generally there but easily removable. It's mostly just dust that builds up. There's no problems. The sleep/wake button will loosen the more you use it too.

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the replies, I returned the Otterbox Commuter case back to Verizon Wireless today, and went with the Incipio black dual shell case, I must say I like it ALOT better, the power button works again, it feels better when held, much more grip, and the phone seems protected well. I know the Otterbox Commuter was only $8 more with my discount but I didn't want to have to even have a worry that the phone was being scratched up by the case, after keeping that big box on it! lol... And after reading more reviews it seems alot of people say the Otterbox Commuter case gouges/scratches the back and other areas of the phone.. Ahh well atleast I got to try the otterbox, Thanks everyone for the help!

Droidrage729

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I would also like to suggest the ballistic every one case. Less bulk hen otterbox but totally covers the phone has a kickstand and belt clip. Imo better then otterbox.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods