iPhone 5 Tech21 Impact Mesh Case Review

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I am not one to generally switch cases very often. I usually slap an OtterBox on and go about my life. However with the iPhone 5 I have found myself bouncing from one case to the next. I have tried out 6 cases before this one and now we are on the 7th.

I found this case while browsing on the Apple Store and I was hooked just based on the look online. I finally got a chance to head to an Apple Store and found the case in store and it just felt right, so I ended up buying it.

It is the Tech21 Impact Mesh for iPhone 5 in the smoke color. It can be found at the Apple Store or on the Tech 21 website.

IMG_3794.jpg

It really has some nice packaging, which gives the impression of quality, stability and strength. I must say I got a bit excited over the packaging because generally a company that makes their packaging look good means they care just as much about developing a quality product.

IMG_3787.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg

IMG_3793.jpg

The smoke color pairs up well with the black and slate iPhone, and while you are not able to see quite all the way through, you can still vaguely make out the Apple logo. Oddly enough the clear version made it even more difficult to see the phone (if that is something you are interested in).

IMG_3812.jpg

Functionality

Everything works as it should and it works very well. I find the volume buttons as well as the sleep/wake button to be quite easy to operate. The case still retains that tactile responsive feel that many do enjoy.

IMG_3813.jpg

Accessing the mute button is not overly difficult. I have very little fingernails to work with and I do not find it an issue to flip the switch.

IMG_3825.jpg

This case has a very slim profile; therefore it has a very minimal ?lay on the table? design. The picture below should help you see this.

IMG_3828.jpg

As far as access to the ports ? I only use Apple branded cords/headphones etc. so I can only speak from that angle. They work perfectly as you would expect, no complaints there at all.

IMG_3830.jpg

One thing I like about this case is that it seems to retain its form. I have had and used the case for over a month now and it shows no sign of stretching out.

I really find it hard to place a complaint with this case at all. Perhaps the price is a little high? But honestly, I would buy it over again. I have dropped the phone on a couple occasions and it has taken the full brunt of the blow.

From the manufacturer:

?It's all about the molecules inside the revolutionary D3O? Impact Material. In everyday use, the molecules flow freely, but upon shock or impact they lock together - absorbing the impact force and spreading the shock evenly across the surface of the material. That means your device stays in one piece, no matter how hard the impact!?

All I can say is, so far, so good. I think this is a great case, if you are considering it, go out and buy it. I would definitely buy this case over again. It may lack the more complete protection of an OtterBox or a Lifeproof, but it provides a level of compromise that I am quite satisfied with.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

I am thoroughly impressed with the product honestly. It seems to be holding up well overall. Definitely have gotten a lot of nice compliments from people who have seen it while I am out and about.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I am thoroughly impressed with the product honestly. It seems to be holding up well overall. Definitely have gotten a lot of nice compliments from people who have seen it while I am out and about.

I've had mine for about a month and it's my favorite case. And I've tried many of cases( speck flips,zoogue, ob commuter,belkins) to name a few. I really like the low profile and the look and feel along with very solid protection! Plus it's different! Highly recommend!

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Ive had mine for many months now. Its amazing and despite being slim, it provides protection. Good stuff! Im looking for a new color though to switch it up.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I saw a review posted on you tube today that shows the case has been revised to have supports under the home button on each side of the lightning connector to offer more supprort for the lower lip. This was the only reason I didn't purchase before. It was too flimsy. Hopefully my apple store sells this new version. If so I will be picking it up.

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I saw a review posted on you tube today that shows the case has been revised to have supports under the home button on each side of the lightning connector to offer more supprort for the lower lip. This was the only reason I didn't purchase before. It was too flimsy. Hopefully my apple store sells this new version. If so I will be picking it up.

I noticed that in a video where the bottom side had the extra support around the lightning connector. I recall seeing a video of the impact case with a zig zag pattern on it but I cant find it anywhere.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

I got mine about 45 days ago and mine has the added support. Got through apple.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I got mine about 45 days ago and mine has the added support. Got through apple.

I found one at Apple that has the extra support now on the bottom lip. They still were selling some without it as well. Great case. Love the feel. Got the "smoke". Looks great on the black 5. Hoping this will be a keeper... for at least a few weeks :)

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I found one at Apple that has the extra support now on the bottom lip. They still were selling some without it as well. Great case. Love the feel. Got the "smoke". Looks great on the black 5. Hoping this will be a keeper... for at least a few weeks :)

Can you post a pic of the bottom of the case?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR