durability of iPhone 5 without case or screen/back protector

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, for about 4 months now, how's the durability of the iPhone 5 without case or screen/back protector (aka naked)? I never like case and I am thinking of going naked.

Thanks.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
It's great I have one minor ding on the casing :'( but YMMV cause I'm very careful with my phones and rarely drop them at all. The only times I've dropped my phone have been on carpet.

Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
so I am guessing durability on iPhone 5 is worse than the 4/4S? or is it better? 4/4S has a glass back, but I guess it won't scratch but if you drop, it will shatter?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5 Drop Test

Check this video out the guy is on some cobblestone walkway in Shanghai I believe and compares the GS3 and iPhone 5 against drops it's pretty amazing. If this is any indication on how well the iPhone 5 holds up it's leaps and bounds ahead of the 4/4S!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Mine still looks new - no scratches, dents, etc... and I roll naked about 90% of the time.

I?d think that the 4/4S with the glass back would be more likely to be damaged without a case... but I am very careful with my electronics... so YMMV.

danimal1968

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
My sister bought an iPhone 5 a couple weeks ago, and after she was done setting it up, while it was still plugged into her laptop, she knocked it off her desk. Because of the cord, it did not hit the floor but instead hit the side of the desk. The screen was completely shattered. If the iPhone 5 hits flush on the screen it will shatter.

Yes, the replacement iPhone is now kept in an Otterbox.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I recently removed the little cheap clear case i had on mine because i hate cases...i dropped it about a day later but it seems to be just fine, no issues.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a white one, so this may not count, but I have a few minor nicks. They aren't really noticeable though. I dropped it once on a tile floor when I first got it and it just got the smallest of scratches on the edge. Overall I think it has held up well so far.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the black/slate I have one tiny scratch on the bezel and that was my otter box commuter case! It was brand new and flawless when I put it in there and when it came out to be put in another case I noticed the scratch :( if you like it naked do that, I'd suggest AppleCare or a zagg invisible shield

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Wife dropped hers in a case. The bezel dented with a case. This is aluminum bezel instead of steel like the 4 or 4S. I'm rolling naked with mine right now but I have the peace and mind with Apple Care+. I have the black iPhone and no scratches yet with or without a case and mine is a launch day delivery.

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
so with apple care+, you can get a replacement even with a ding? I thought apple care only replaces a defective phone or maybe shattered screen, but not a ding... how many replacement can you get per year?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
so with apple care+, you can get a replacement even with a ding? I thought apple care only replaces a defective phone or maybe shattered screen, but not a ding... how many replacement can you get per year?

You get 2 replacements total. If you ding your phone, you can get it replaced but then you used 1 of your 2. It has $50 deductible per physical damage incident. Not worth it over a ding.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
The phone doesn't seem to shatter as readily but it sure chips and scratches around the edges a whole lot. I work at AT&T and out store display black iPhone 5 has no finish on the edge. It's all scuffed up and silver.

Last edited:

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Here's the thing, the phone is going to get scratches. I had a case on it from the day I bought it and somehow it still got a ding and I never dropped it. The case made the phone twice the thickness. I think that I will be able to live with a few scratches. My wife has the 4S and it has scratches and doesn't took that bad.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm caseless also. It's a phone not a priceless diamond. If I want to put a case on it then its mostly for a different look or feel. I buy insurance like apple care. If I drop it and it breaks I replace it.

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I have had mine for a month and I think the screen is weaker. I keep the phone in my pocket and the only thing that will go in my pocket with it is the headphones. I wont even do that now because i see little scratches on the screen i am about to put a protecter on the screen. My 4s screen still looks new. Do you think they could not make it as strong because of the size? I am very good with my phones my 3gs 4 and 4s all looked new before I handed them down. I am just bummed the screen is not as tough but i do run a case cause im not about to find out the back is just as weak plus it is a little slippery.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro