Help me pick a case

JeevesVic

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
So. I'm torn between the defender and the commuter case. I work law enforcement and cannot decide which case to have on my phone.

Ugh. It hurts my brain!!!

ezday42

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If your in Law enforcement then I'm sure you don't want something else hanging on your belt. The Defender case from Otterbox will give you excellent protection but is just a little to Bulky for me. The commuter case is my wife's choice she loves them but the Life Proof case is going to give you excellent protection in a slim pocket able form factor. Its the one I want but the price can be a bit prohibitive.

jimmers

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Beware of LifeProof for iPhone 5.... They are not made as well as the 4/4S version.

Check out their website. Lifeproof.com

Check out life proof cases

Lifeproof. Love it!

Please read the reviews on the LifeProof cases for the iPhone 5. They apparently are not has well built as the ones for the iPhone 4/4S. Those that have them indicate that the sounds are distorted and muffled. They also say the screen cover is not as form fitting which causes touch issues with the screen.

I've heard lots of great things about the 4/4S version and wanted to buy one for my iPhone 5 but after reading the reviews, I'll wait until Lifeproof fixes the problems that people have been reporting on the iPhone 5 version. [URL="https://forums.imore.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fshop-links.co%2Flink%2F%3Fexclusive%3D1%26publisher_slug%3Dfuture%26article_name%3Dim-vb-p-1964791%26u1%3DUUimUvbUpU1964791%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.bestbuy.com%252Fsite%252Flifeproof-case-for-apple-iphone-5-and-5s-black%252F6936908.p%253Fid%253D1218814987241%2526skuId%253D6936908%26ourl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.bestbuy.com%252Fsite%252FLifeProof%252B-%252BCase%252Bfor%252BApple%252526%252523174%25253B%252BiPhone%252526%252523174%25253B%252B5%252B-%252BBlack%252F6936908.p%253FskuId%253D6936908%2526id%253D1218814987241%2523tabbed-customerreviews%2522&token=Pds_yyRr]LifeProof Case review from Best Buy for iPhone 5[/URL]

I have several OtterBox Defender cases. They are great for protection which you will need as a Police Officer. They come in many different color combinations now. They usually run $50 but I just bought a new one last week from Amazon for $17 and they are still on sale. They do add bulk to your phone but the protection they offer is hugh. It also comes with a heavy duty belt clip which will work great with your police gear. Here is the link: [URL="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_8/190-5424804-6311022?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=otterbox+iphone+5&sprefix=otterbox%2Caps%2C396&t=imore-20&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU1964791]Amazon iPhone 5 Otterbox Defender[/URL]

To me the Otterbox Commuter is not enough protection. To me it's just like any other case. Yeah, it will protect it some but it doesn't cover the entire phone and depending how it drops, the screen can still shatter. That happened to my niece when she had a Commuter on her iPhone and dropped it.

Last edited:

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Please read the reviews on the LifeProof cases for the iPhone 5. They apparently are not has well built as the ones for the iPhone 4/4S. Those that have them indicate that the sounds are distorted and muffled. They also say the screen cover is not as form fitting which causes touch issues with the screen.

I've heard lots of great things about the 4/4S version and wanted to buy one for my iPhone 5 but I'll wait until Lifeproof fixes the problems that people have been reporting on the iPhone 5 version.

I have several OtterBox Defender cases. They are great for protection which you will need as a Police Officer. They come in many different color combinations now. They usually run $50 but I just bought a new one last week from Amazon for $17 and they are still on sale. They do add bulk to your phone but the protection they offer is hugh. It also comes with a heavy duty belt clip which will work great with your police gear.

I've had both and the one for the 5 is no worse than the one for the 4/4s...some people just can't understand that with a case that's completely sealed, waterproof, and dust proof there's gonna be drawbacks. Yeah the sound is a but muffled, the screen doesn't sit flush on the face of the phone...but take that otterbox into the same environment that the lifeproof is designed for and see what happens. You'll end up with dust in every nook and cranny as well us BETWEEN the screen protector and the phone itself which will eventually scratch the phone. Oh, and yeah can't get it wet either. Lol.

Not necessarily attacking you, but I get a little tired of the opinion that otterbox is the best case out there. They have designed them to be HARD plastic with rough edges on the inside right up against the surface of your phone...yeah, real "protective". I'm also not necessarily saying lifeproof is the best...if you can't deal with the drawbacks that come with a completely sealed waterproof case like that then you shouldn't buy one.

As for me, I've been using the griffin survivor for the 5...without a doubt better drop protection than either of the others, dust protection almost equal to the lifeproof (all ports are covered with mesh), and the phone isn't sandwiched between to pieces of hard plastic trying to scratch my phone like the defender.

Hey, that's why we have choices I guess...but the brand otterbox has been labeled as the most protection for your phone and it simply is not.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a defender and commuter for mt BlackBerry. I always revert to the commuter. Defender is good to have but unless your planning on banging your phone around ALOT the commuter will be great for holding it in your pocket.

The griffin survivor I have on my work iphone4 and man its just like a commuter but it is not pocket friendly and the belt clip is horrible.

Also look into seidio cases. They have the new waterproof obex case and a convert case that rugged too. They are a very reputable company in my eyes. I have had nothing but good things to say about their newer cases.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk

jimmers

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
No hard feelings. We are all entitled to our own opinions. I stated mine and you stated yours in order to educate the op on this thread so that he can make the best decision for himself on which case to buy for his situation.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

Rjgjr#IM

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
i actually like the commuter better on the 4 than the 5.it seems bulkier on the 5.still a decent case though.the flaps over the adapter and line out seem better than before. I have a rocketfish case from best buy that covers the entire phone (except screen) and its still slim and pocket friendly.it has a hard sylicone and plastic feel to it but its all one piece. only about $22

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen