Help me pick a case

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
How good are they, I'm looking for new cases as well.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I was not impressed with LifeProof. For what it costs, it's rather unimpressive. I borrowed my sister's not too long ago to see if I liked it. It's just two pieces of plastic. It is waterproof. I was caught in a rain storm trying to get my horses in the barn and got soaked. Not a dry thread of clothes left on me. My phone was in my pocket and it was fine. However, for $80, I expected more than just two pieces of plastic with a rubber ring to make it waterproof.

I've used the Defender as well as the HC Ballistics case. The Defender was my favorite, but if you take your case on and off repeatedly like I do, the silicone skin will stretch out quickly. Otterbox will replace your case for free under their phenomenal warranty replacement, but it gets old after a while having to replace the silicone once a month or so.

The HC Ballistics is my favorite by far. I got mine off of Amazon for about $10 and LOVE those cases. The silicone outer shell has yet to stretch out even though I take it off almost daily to dock it on my iHome.

Neither the Defender or the Ballistics are waterproof, but I prefer those over the LP.

Griffin survivor. Otterbox is overrated in my opinion.

If the Griffin's belt clip wasn't so crappy, I'd like it. It's one piece of plastic that doesn't even cover the whole screen. It's pathetic compared to what the case provides.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Beware of LifeProof for iPhone 5.... They are not made as well as the 4/4S version.

LIfeproof had some issues with the first batch/gen cases for the 5- I ordered directly from them for my case a few weeks ago and got the new gen- the screen is great- snug and responsive- Actually fits better than the one for the 4/4S- Is the sound as loud and clear listening to music without headphones with the case on- of course not but its the trade off for your phone being totally protected from the elements. Its not a deal breaker for me and sounds pretty good. Otter makes a good case too- Just way too bulky for me-

Please read the reviews on the LifeProof cases for the iPhone 5. They apparently are not has well built as the ones for the iPhone 4/4S. Those that have them indicate that the sounds are distorted and muffled. They also say the screen cover is not as form fitting which causes touch issues with the screen.

I've heard lots of great things about the 4/4S version and wanted to buy one for my iPhone 5 but after reading the reviews, I'll wait until Lifeproof fixes the problems that people have been reporting on the iPhone 5 version. [URL="https://forums.imore.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fshop-links.co%2Flink%2F%3Fexclusive%3D1%26publisher_slug%3Dfuture%26article_name%3Dim-vb-p-1964831%26u1%3DUUimUvbUpU1964831%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.bestbuy.com%252Fsite%252Flifeproof-case-for-apple-iphone-5-and-5s-black%252F6936908.p%253Fid%253D1218814987241%2526skuId%253D6936908%26ourl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.bestbuy.com%252Fsite%252FLifeProof%252B-%252BCase%252Bfor%252BApple%252526%252523174%25253B%252BiPhone%252526%252523174%25253B%252B5%252B-%252BBlack%252F6936908.p%253FskuId%253D6936908%2526id%253D1218814987241%2523tabbed-customerreviews%2522&token=UeHfeCLD]LifeProof Case review from Best Buy for iPhone 5[/URL]

I have several OtterBox Defender cases. They are great for protection which you will need as a Police Officer. They come in many different color combinations now. They usually run $50 but I just bought a new one last week from Amazon for $17 and they are still on sale. They do add bulk to your phone but the protection they offer is hugh. It also comes with a heavy duty belt clip which will work great with your police gear. Here is the link: [URL="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_8/190-5424804-6311022?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=otterbox+iphone+5&sprefix=otterbox%2Caps%2C396&t=imore-20&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU1964831]Amazon iPhone 5 Otterbox Defender[/URL]

To me the Otterbox Commuter is not enough protection. To me it's just like any other case. Yeah, it will protect it some but it doesn't cover the entire phone and depending how it drops, the screen can still shatter. That happened to my niece when she had a Commuter on her iPhone and dropped it.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
If the Griffin's belt clip wasn't so crappy, I'd like it. It's one piece of plastic that doesn't even cover the whole screen. It's pathetic compared to what the case provides.

While I agree it could be better, there's no reason why it should cover the entire screen...that's what the screen protector is for in my opinion. My only real gripe is it can be aggravating trying to place it back I'm the clip one handed.

aslondon

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
having been a LEO previously, I would emphatically say the Defender! It's not that much larger and has much more protection than the commuter, more openings sealed and will keep more dust, water, and grit off the phone.

Al

Winski

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, since most DO NOT HAVE a way to secure the case in your hand (strap, hook, lanyard, clamp, etc.) I’ll recommend TWO..

1) The Krusell Tumba Mobile Leather Case…$28.thru iMore. Has a ring to hold or snap onto your jeans, OR a built in neck strap if you’re forgetful…

2) The Switcheasy “L.ANYARD”…. a hard case for iPhone 5 with a built-in LANYARD for easy strap around the wrist.. ($28 delivered)…

iPhone 5 cases | LANYARD For iPhone 5 | SwitchEasy

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
While I agree it could be better, there's no reason why it should cover the entire screen...that's what the screen protector is for in my opinion. My only real gripe is it can be aggravating trying to place it back I'm the clip one handed.

IMO, the clip that covers the screen is more secure than what the Griffin does. It just seems so flimsy being a small strip of plastic.

hakoreh

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
late to the game but check out Photive cases. They make cases not only for iPhone but iPad as well. So far I've seen them only available on Amazon

ckillam3

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I fully recommend the Spigen line. They may not be appropriate for Police work, however for anyone else they are Austin review.

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
No belt clip for the new case as far as I know. Can't find it on their website.

+1. I couldn't find the belt clip either. Chose Defender as a result. In my case a belt clip offers me more useful protection than a tightly sealed case. Lifeproof with a belt clip would have been the ultimate.......at least for me anyhow.

jonahz

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I use an Otterbox Commuter on my 5, and love it. I didnt want a belt clip, or too much bulk as I carry my phone in my pocket all day, and this fits the bill. Enough protection that I know it has some chance of surviving a drop, and the raised lip to keep the face from getting scratch definitely helps.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, since most DO NOT HAVE a way to secure the case in your hand (strap, hook, lanyard, clamp, etc.) I?ll recommend TWO..

1) The Krusell Tumba Mobile Leather Case?$28.thru iMore. Has a ring to hold or snap onto your jeans, OR a built in neck strap if you?re forgetful?

2) The Switcheasy ?L.ANYARD??. a hard case for iPhone 5 with a built-in LANYARD for easy strap around the wrist.. ($28 delivered)?

iPhone 5 cases | LANYARD For iPhone 5 | SwitchEasy

The lifeproof case can accept a lanyard

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR