iPad mini Otterbox Defender Review

Zach7

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I have always been in the business of protecting my devices. Originally started with the Crackbery devices I used. Now that I have been with Apple products for over a year, I have found the same need to keep my devices protected. I received my iPad mini on release day from Apple via overnight shipping. From day one I was worried about having my device at work or out and about without having some protection. But always worried about a drop or ding. I tried using a tablet carrying bag, but needed that extra protection as I found that I was showing off my iPad mini to family/friends!

I was glad to see that my local electronics box store started stocking the Otterbox Defender series for the iPad mini. I picked it up and started using it right away. I have found over the last week of use that it has been great protection! Offering the screen cover/stand is perfect. It allows me to have the mini out and about in my hands and then when I want to put it on display for watching a video, right on to the stand it goes. The stand is a sturdy built contraption on the inside of the cover. I am also glad the cover is included because I can throw it in the back seat or in my back without worrying about any scratches or damage to the screen (not literally throw).

The outside silicone is different than that of previous idevices that I have Otterbox Defenders on. This is much smoother and is not as grabby as previous silicone skins they have offered. I like the change! The silicone fits very smoothly and all the ports are very well covered. Everything goes together very simply and they only problem I found is that you have to turn on the device to an email screen or something with a bright back light so that you can see all the specks of dust/dirt on the inside of the built in screen protector or outside of your screen, when installing the top piece. Just a personal note as those little specks start to bother me!

I took a few photos and have attached them to this post. Please ask questions and I will try to answer them for you. I do not work for OB and purchased this at regular price 69.95

Thanks for viewing!

Attachments

• IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1277.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1274.jpg
    IMG_1274.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 79

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with this review. I have been using the"mini defender" for the last 4 days and I am absolutely in love. I gave my mother the Smart Cover because it wasn't as good as the full size cover and wanted the protection as im mostly putting this in my bookbag I carry to work.

The weight and "bulk" that it adds are perfect IMO. And like the poster said the stand is awesome!

Well done otterbox!

Zach7

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Nice to hear! I also like the built in screen protector as it doesn't have any lag between the screen. I may upgrade my iPad case if the silicone is changed on that Defender case.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Does the screen protector wash out the display at all? My iPhone 4S's OB Defender's screen protector definitely takes away from the beauty of the display. Do you find any problems with the quality of the display with the case on?

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
My biggest concern would be scratches with this case. Is there any hard plastic that will make contact with the mini on the inside or is it padded?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 5

pstmstr

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
nice review and a nice case but too bulky for me, returned mine to Best Buy today, I prefer the barely there protection of the Incipio Feather case for my both my iphone 5 and ipad mini.