How necessary is a tough case?

iBradA5

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4S and I've always had an Otterbox defender series on it. I'm tired of that case and have some issues with it as well. I was just wondering how necessary a tough case like this is. I don't drop my phone often, maybe 6 time total and I've had it for about 7 months. What case does anyone recommend and what level of protection do you think is necessary? Thanks for any comments.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I personally don't understand why people stuff a beautifully designed iPhone in those huge/ugly Otterbox type cases (beyond some specific use case scenarios). I do use and recommend a case but I have never used anything other than a minimalistic type case -- currently switch between a Case-Mate Barely There and an Incipio Feather cases, and I am very active with my iP5... use it all day long in and out of my pocket and workout/jog with it.

IMO of course....

jakuza4347

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree an iphone shouldnt be put in a case that covers up everything unless it is a good looking case which there arent alot of i usually go with simple cases today i just got in a cleave case trying it out i lose the little signal i had have at work with it but after work today gonna see if its worth keeping

localhost8080

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
personally, i dont use cases / covers.

i went through a few when i had the ipad1 and the iphone 3gs, but I always found that i'd have to take them off.

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I've had my iphone4 for 5 months and use tight fitting cases...OB Defender is incredibly bulky, the Commuter is much better but my new fave is the Incipio Silicrylic case...its a 2 pc very similar to Commuter but even less bulk, not as slippery (rubberized hard case) but plenty of light weight 'glove-like' protection; just in case!!! ;)

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Depends on if you can live with the conseques of a shattered screen if something happens. I'd rather have the extra bulk than shell out for an insurance claim or have an iPhone with a busted screen.

- - - Updated - - -

I personally don't understand why people stuff a beautifully designed iPhone in those huge/ugly Otterbox type cases (beyond some specific use case scenarios). I do use and recommend a case but I have never used anything other than a minimalistic type case -- currently switch between a Case-Mate Barely There and an Incipio Feather cases, and I am very active with my iP5... use it all day long in and out of my pocket and workout/jog with it.

IMO of course....

I'm around horses a lot. I also work in a building with concrete floors. I live in a home with hard wood floors. I'd rather bulk up my phone with a Ballistics HC or an Otterbox than ruin it.

iBradA5

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I made the decision to get the clear lifeproof. It claims to have the same level of protection, more actually, and I'm stoked about being able to see my phone through the case. It also is way less bulky.

Arrongin

Banned
Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I never use case for my cell phone and my phone still keeps complete without any damage. Whether to use the case depends on yourself. If you can take care of your phone well, you can not use it, I think. but if the case can protect you phone when your phone drops in water, it takes effect then, :eek:

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't drop phones at all, but I have the LifeProof on this iPhone 4 and love it. I have no worries with this case. It is not as bulky and clumsy as the Otterboxes that I have seen.

One big plus is that if it does get dirty, I can just wash it off!!! I wanted one for my iPhone 5 but they werent available yet. I ended up selling it (for $1025!!!!!) on eBay.

I miss it a bit, but the $600 profit was nice! LOL

Sent from my tricked out iPhone 4 while my Rezound charges!!!

iBradA5

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't drop phones at all, but I have the LifeProof on this iPhone 4 and love it. I have no worries with this case. It is not as bulky and clumsy as the Otterboxes that I have seen.

One big plus is that if it does get dirty, I can just wash it off!!! I wanted one for my iPhone 5 but they werent available yet. I ended up selling it (for $1025!!!!!) on eBay.

I miss it a bit, but the $600 profit was nice! LOL

Is it truly dust proof?

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it uses an o ring to seal out dust and water. The new Fre case for the Five is gorgeous, IMO.

FYI... You can pick up the LifeProof cases for the 4/4S on Amazon for about $50. eBay has some good deals at times, much better than the retail price of $79.99 that it costs at the LifeProof website.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4S and I've always had an Otterbox defender series on it. I'm tired of that case and have some issues with it as well. I was just wondering how necessary a tough case like this is. I don't drop my phone often, maybe 6 time total and I've had it for about 7 months. What case does anyone recommend and what level of protection do you think is necessary? Thanks for any comments.

Cases are insurance. Nobody needs a case... until they drop their phone. So the type of case you get, or don't get is equal to the risk you are willing to take.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

IMO of course....

Agreed! All I use is a belkin.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I made the decision to get the clear lifeproof. It claims to have the same level of protection, more actually, and I'm stoked about being able to see my phone through the case. It also is way less bulky.

I use a LifeProof case and haven't had any problems with it. I like the thin case and the protection it offers.

Terrigno

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree an iphone shouldnt be put in a case that covers up everything unless it is a good looking case which there arent alot of i usually go with simple cases today i just got in a cleave case trying it out i lose the little signal i had have at work with it but after work today gonna see if its worth keeping

Periods work wonders in our sentences. Which break them up into smaller sections to read them properly. All love though.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I use the Griffin Survivor case because I have small children who always have my phone. They like watching their cartoons on it when in the car and to play various games. I would not be able to hand over my phone unless I knew it was truly protected. Also, I have dropped my phone a couple of times and to see my phone just bounce and not have any damage whatsoever is great. I like having the peace of mind that if I do drop it, no damage will be incurred. My wife on the other hand has the Incipio feather case. Every time one of the kids drops it, she gasps hoping that the screen hasn't shattered. The screen has been replaced twice already for her. None for me. Lastly, it will be nice to be able to reap the monetary benefits of selling a pristine iPhone 5 when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Simple, are you in environments that would cause need of it? If yes, then it is necessary, if no, then it's not. Sometimes I need mine, most times not. Most times I use my Incipio Feather.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Relevant story; my wife has the iPhone 4S and she put one of those super slim, snap on cases on her phone. For about three months since having that case, there haven't been any real damages. Just a few light scratches. This morning, I took the phone out of the case to clean it and the entire back was shattered. This would be a nightmare if it were my phone.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Relevant story; my wife has the iPhone 4S and she put one of those super slim, snap on cases on her phone. For about three months since having that case, there haven't been any real damages. Just a few light scratches. This morning, I took the phone out of the case to clean it and the entire back was shattered. This would be a nightmare if it were my phone.

She drop it and it not protect it or something?

Mine went tumbling off my bed twice this weekend on accident. I have one of those beds that is pretty high off the ground. Phone landed on one of the corners and bounced a couple times. Thanks to my Ballistics HC, not a scratch or a crack one.

That's why I keep my phone in a case.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods