2.1 amp charger for iPhone

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I need a new car charger and was looking at these two:

Just Mobile Highway Pro Charger - Apple Store (U.S.)

Dual Car Charger for iPod, iPhone and iPad by Incase

The first one has a 1 amp and 2.1 amp charger and the second has two 2.1 amps. Is it safe to use either one to charge my iPhone? I know they both say for iPhone, iPod and iPad but I wasn't sure if charging at 2.1 amps was bad for the iPhone. I like the first one a lot and didn't know if I could plug in 2 iPhone's without receiving any ill effects.

WebbitDesigns

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
It wont charge any fast if you use a 2.1 amp charger you will only heat up the battery
The charging rate is limited by the phone itself, so as to not charge the battery faster than specified by the manufacturer

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The Apple store lists their own 2.0A and 2.1A (10W/12W) iPad chargers as compatible with iPhones and iPods, as well. There’s no reason why a 2.1A charger from Apple would be compatible and a third party 2.1A charger would not be. Just make sure whatever you get is MFi certified for your own protection.

Scorpion667

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
My phone definitely charges faster with the 2.1 iPad charger.

I have timed it. It's definitely faster.

WebbitDesigns is actually right in that the firmware limits the charging rate on all modern smartphones. But compared to my Android phones (Moto X, Galaxy S2) the iPhone benefits much more from the 2.1amp charger, showing that the iPhone's software amp cap is higher than my Android phones. I can go from 0 to 85-90% in an hour. Full charge in 80-90 minutes.

source: hacked Galaxy S2 kernel for faster charging as even while charging from 2amp charger, the battery would still drain with GPS on. Bumped the cap to 1100mAh and problem was solved. Phone is still alive, 3 years later =)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2