Otterbox defender take screen protector off or not

courtney213

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
i have a defender otter box I don't like the screen protector I have one on my phone at all times even when I don't have the otter box on. I want to take the screen protector off the otter box but not sure if it effects the way the otter box protects the phone from impact. Does anyone know?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It does help protect the screen from scratches and nicks. You use a screen protector under the Otterbox screen? Why? If the Otterbox screen protector lies flush with the phone's screen, just use that. If it doesn't, then remove the built in from the case. It won't have any affect on the case and the protection it affords. If it fits well, I would much rather use the built in screen.

courtney213

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
I use a screen protector, when I use my other cases and I don't take it off when I use the otter box. The otter box screen protector don't fit that well and when ever I'm using it I have to press extra hard Bc the otter box screen protector don't fit snug to my iPhone screen. So I wanted to take the otter box screen protector off, so I use the case to protect my phone from breaking, Bc as of rn I'm not using it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use a screen protector, when I use my other cases and I don't take it off when I use the otter box. The otter box screen protector don't fit that well and when ever I'm using it I have to press extra hard Bc the otter box screen protector don't fit snug to my iPhone screen. So I wanted to take the otter box screen protector off, so I use the case to protect my phone from breaking, Bc as of rn I'm not using it.

Unfortunately, some are like that. You could contact Otter, and they will replace it. But if you're using other cases, you might just remove the built in screen.

mbar9607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
on all the defender cases ive owned since the iphone 4 ive punched out the built in one and used 3rd party ones and id tell anyone to do the same thing.

mabayse

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
I just took mine off. No matter how much I clean the attached screen protector there's always dust trap in there plus I hate the feel of the cheap plastic protector on the Defender. I used a hair dryer on low/warm setting to melt the adhesive which seals the screen protector. I then peeled it off of the plastic bezel with ease. I use goo gone and applied it on a cue tip to remove remaining adhesive. Removed it with wet chlorox wipes then VOILA! I installed an otterbox alpha glass on my screen and put on the Defender. It is perfectly snug. I love the feel of the cool glass when I'm typing versus struggling with the cheap plastic Otterbox Defender screen protector. They need to just get rid of that and include an alpha glass screen protector when you purchase the Defender.

anon(10210323)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I use a Defender on my SE and removed the screen protector. It was not only a dust trap, but the fingerprint sensor wasn't working as smoothly. I also removed the screen protector from the Defender I had on my Galaxy Note 4 for the same reasons.

Spirit Vision Photography

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I just removed my SE phone from the OtterBox Commuter (which I really liked) and dropped it in a new Defender case. I immediately removed the Defenders screen protector because I already have a tempered glass screen protector on the phone. The SE fits beautifully into the new Defender case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2