Otterbox defender take screen protector off or not

Arbor12

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the Otterbox Defender for the iPhone 5 and love it, but not sure if I like the built in screen protector. Has anyone used the case but taken out the built in screen protector and used a different one. Just curious been thinking about taking it off. Thanks.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Yep. I had a Defender on my 4s and now my 5. Removed the built in screen protector pretty much straight away.

However, I always put another one on, just in case. Now using an SGP Clear on my 5.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I like that it's "sealed." Keeps dust, dirt, moisture out. Yeah, the screen would be a little more responsive without it but not enough to be worth it IMO.

Is that why you're thinking of removing it?

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I had both the otterbox screen protector and a screen protector on my 4s and had no response issues. The one on the otterbox wasn't bad but sometimes had to take it off to clean the dust from inside it though.

Arbor12

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I like that it's "sealed." Keeps dust, dirt, moisture out. Yeah, the screen would be a little more responsive without it but not enough to be worth it IMO.

Is that why you're thinking of removing it?

Yea it seems less responsive, mostly when I'm typing an email or text.

Matt.Musiol

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
When you took off the built in protector, does it leave a gap around the edges of the screen or is it pretty flush? My only concern would be a bunch of dust getting in around there.

Thanks!

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Pretty flush around the edges. If you're careful you can put it back on after you take it off as long as you don't take all the glue off. Which you're going to have to do if you leave it off.

precon22

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
One problem I have is, the plastic fram looks like it digs a little into the protector near the earpiece and ffc opening so now the my screen protector has indents from the case it doesn't bother me to much as long as its not my glass. But I would suggest putting one on it. If you remove the screen protector.

Matt.Musiol

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Yea I have ghost armor on the front now. I think I'm going to try it as long as it won't damage the phone or have annoying gaps around the screen for dust to flood the case haha.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Been using the Defender on my iPhone 4s with the Defenders screen removed for months. I applied SGP protector. Did't have problems with dust ingress at all.

Done the same with my iPhone 5. I just couldn't get used to the built in screen protector. The Defender is not completely sealed anyway. The front camera et al is unprotected. Adding your own full screen protection is a bonus for me.

Really loving the new design of the iPhone 5 Defender. Just feels quality.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I had both the otterbox screen protector and a screen protector on my 4s and had no response issues. The one on the otterbox wasn't bad but sometimes had to take it off to clean the dust from inside it though.

This was my main reason for removing the built in protector. I'd ALWAYS have to remove it to clean dust that had gotten inside and cause me to stretch out the silicone which I didn't want to do. I now LOVE the defender even more with the protector removed.

CandyBean

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I took the screen protector off and put my own one because i couldn't stand the built in protector. Felt thick and diluted the screen resolution like crazy. Plus I noticed screen sensitivity went way down.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Yup pop it out and use your own. Rocking a SGP Ultra fine on my 4s in the defender. Nice combo IMO. But glad to don't have to wipe it off all the time now.

MRSBROWN2006

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Popped it out and installed a zagg shield. Went surprisingly well considering that it was my first wet screen protector installation.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I removed the Defender's built in screen protector and put an SGP Ultra Crystal on the phone itself. Bad news is now my iPhone 5 moves around slightly in the Defender case whereas before it didn't move at all. Bummer to ruin a $50 case. I don't recommend it.

EDIT: Once I put the silicon cover on the slight movement I mentioned in my original post went away. I guess the cover helps to "clamp" down on the plastic skeleton of the case and prevents the phone from moving inside. Now it's flawless! Loving it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Don't know why it did that. I have taken my built in protector out. Before I fitted the SGP glas.t, there was no problem with the i5 sliding about within the OBD.

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
I found my phone to be unusable with the protector left on the case. It was just comical trying to type. Felt like I was using a blackberry storm! Anyone else have issues that bad?!

StevenJ_AK

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
So after reading this thread i took it off, but now my phone is loose inside.

It moves probably 1/16-1/8 of an inch around inside the case, if you were to shake the case you can hear it slide around inside.

Worst move yet to screw up a 50 dollar case.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices