Otterbox defender take screen protector off or not

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry that happened man. Pretty strange as I've had no issues with my 4S sliding around inside mine.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

anon(221242)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Take it off !
It drove me crazy for days thinking should or shouldn't I. Mine screen popped out nice and easy, with very little glue residue.
Brand new the cover had 2 tiny scratches that would drive me bonkers. But the main reason was that I like to switch cases every once in a while and this way my screen stays protected in any case.
And when it will scratch...I can easily change to a new screen protector.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the defender for the iPhone 5, I have no problems with sensitivity regarding the built in protector. This is my first defender and I am a guy who usually doesn't even use a case.
I think I'm changing my ways as it is much less stressful without worrying about the phone. I just throw it around all the time without a thought.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I've had an Otterbox for about 2 years now. Few days ago I tried going w/ just a bumper. I was so nervous! Less than 24 hours later it was back in the Defender!

Follow me on the Twitter! @_jorts

stratblues23

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I agree with jerome g. 100%. I just got an iphone 5 Nov. 16, 2012 and purchased the Otterbox Defender case in advance. When I put on the case, it fit perfectly, no sliding around or screen distortion, no watermark type issues, and no touch screen sensitivity issues. The phone works great and the case with built in screen protector works great. No Issues! I keep seeing the same complaints about this case and phone when used together and can't see where these issues keep coming from, because I haven't had the slightest issue with mine. Maybe, it's with older Otterbox Defenders, but it definitely can't be with the latest ones they're putting out. I'm totally happy with my iphone 5 / Otterbox Defender set up. So, I would say, leave the built in screen protector on. It works just fine.

justinkk2005

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
To me, the iPhone 5 series of defenders have a great screen protector and I'm very picky about my displays. With the 4/4S defenders I always tore out my screen protector, but with the 5, I'm leaving it. It's crystal clear. Touch is great. Only complaint I have is the rainbow look. I've used electronic wipes numerous times and took it in a dust free room (steamy bathroom). Better than before but still there

billybaldin

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I just took my 5 out of the Defender case after having it on 1 week. It looks to me like I can see the beginnings of friction scratches on the phone from the screen protector. I am assuming it's because the protector isn't "on" the screen. It just sits up against it. That was the final factor that convinced me to rip it out. I would like to put the Spigen GLAS.tR glass protector on. Has anyone ever used it with a defender case? Im not sure if it will fit.
One more thing. In the past I have used the Zagg invisi-shield. I usually just went to the Kiosk and had them put what they had on. I have recently visited their website and found out they have different protectors. Has anyone had any use of any of their products? Is one better than another? I guess what I am looking for is a protector that is going to give me maximum protection but also give me the most natural feel.

Thank you

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Took mine off immediately! Was using a Power Support AG screen protector for a while but now use a crystal clear one.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Different device but I have a SGP Ultra Fine on mine 4S with a defender with out built in screen protector and it fits just fine.

I just took my 5 out of the Defender case after having it on 1 week. It looks to me like I can see the beginnings of friction scratches on the phone from the screen protector. I am assuming it's because the protector isn't "on" the screen. It just sits up against it. That was the final factor that convinced me to rip it out. I would like to put the Spigen GLAS.tR glass protector on. Has anyone ever used it with a defender case? Im not sure if it will fit.
One more thing. In the past I have used the Zagg invisi-shield. I usually just went to the Kiosk and had them put what they had on. I have recently visited their website and found out they have different protectors. Has anyone had any use of any of their products? Is one better than another? I guess what I am looking for is a protector that is going to give me maximum protection but also give me the most natural feel.

Thank you

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
So did anyone create some form of gasket to keep debris from getting in through the gap created by removing the built in screen protector?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Hakim2020

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
yes, rainbow spots, thats why i logged in to this discussion. I didnt notice it right away, but a few days after placing my new i 5 in the defender
case, i noticed small spots on the screen when the phone is off. I took the phone apart right away to dry it. I've seen this before when applying stickers to the windshield. little bubbles of air/moister get between the plastic and glass. i hope this isnt harmful to the screen if left ignored.
Is it?

justinkk2005

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Posted this in another thread as well but I think it suits this thread too. Lol

I came up with a solution to the otterbox scratching the front glass problem without using a screen protector under the otterbox screen protector and without having to tear out the otterbox one. Take a cheap eBay screen protector and mark the top of it down to the edge of the actual display and cut straight across and install it. Do the same for the bottom half. Only leave the actual screen part exposed. The otterbox screen protector will sit right down completely flush on the screen and your glass will be protected from that ring around the speaker/FaceTime camera and nicks from the case. You can't even tell they're there. I tried installing a screen protector under the otterbox one and it killed touch sensitivity. Tearing it out makes the case flimsy on the sides. This works really well.

Summerfield 61

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Does Otter make a replacement screen protector for the Defender Case? Mine is scratched and faded some. The original has some flaps to tie it into the plastic face plate that seems to help limit dust penetration. I have an iPhone 5.

ortahan123

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Look men i had the same problem
Di not
I reapet do not
Remove otterbox defender
It might stcratch your screen protector
So yeah you have to pay every month like 3$ for a new one
Belove me its worth it!!!

cjanefab

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for this. After reading your post and comments, I've removed the plastic shield. I had already installed a Zagg shied and loved it, but I wanted more protection. Before doing this, I was really starting to hate my Otterbox because of the air bubbles/oil-slick look under the OB plastic shield. I repeatedly tried the whole rubbing alcohol/baby powder/lens cleaner deal, no joy. Removing the OB shield and having a Zagg shield works best for me.

Mattias Pedersen

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
if You do take it off is the screen sticky or not, i have the defender for a iPad mini and some dust has gotten inside, just wondering if its a good idea to clean the inside of the screen protector?

berry_addict

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I have the Otterbox Defender on my iPhone5, and it's full on ! Since it is on, no issues at all, very responsive. I really like to keep it on, cause from time to time I feel like going commando with the phone, but realize that I might drop the phone cause it's too small.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2