OtterBox Defender Series iPhone 5 Review

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I used a Defender case on my 4S and, although it provided great protection, the silicone outer cover went bad pretty fast--I had to take the first one back and its replacement is now also trashed. That is not due to drops/abuse, but simply because the material deteriorates or whatever. The flaps are the first to go, but the home button cover comes loose, as well.

Reading this thread so far, it seems the iPhone 5 Defender may be an improvement. However, for anyone who doesn't want the bulk of the Defender and doesn't use the 5 in situations that require extra protection, AND who really wants a holster (a must-have for me), check this case out:

Platinum Series - Kickstand Case with Holster for Apple? iPhone? 5 - Black - APC62SB

I just got it at Best Buy and it's great! They have two versions and I prefer the one with the kickstand: this allows easy reading when I stop somewhere for lunch etc. and read blogs or whatever while eating. The kickstand stays in until you want it open and it doesn't add any noticeable bulk in the back. Great little case and enough protection for me. Feels great, too.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I used a Defender case on my 4S and, although it provided great protection, the silicone outer cover went bad pretty fast--I had to take the first one back and its replacement is now also trashed. That is not due to drops/abuse, but simply because the material deteriorates or whatever. The flaps are the first to go, but the home button cover comes loose, as well.

I never had problems with mine but I know some people have. I think the new one will address most of those concerns. The outer cover is still pliable and about the same to put on but it's more plasticy vs. rubbery. It feels more dense.

dgamer1

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I noticed today that the "rainbowing effect" is much more prevalent today. It's kinda irking me a bit.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks for the comments! I really sure try and do video reviews, but I like to use my dSLR and take photos.

I noticed this also with my new Defender case for the iPhone 5, I checked online and found a solution that some people have used in the past for these types of cases and it worked perfectly for me.

All you need is some LCD/sunglasses cleaning solution and then follow the steps below.

1. Remove the iPhone from the case.
2. Clean the iPhone front screen with the cleaning solution.
3. Clean the inside of built in screen protector on the case with the cleaning solution also.
4. Put the iPhone back in the case and enjoy.

Using this method worked for me and I haven't seen any rainbow effect on my screen for the last couple of days.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I love the Otterbox Defender. Have one on my iPhone 4s as well as my iPhone 5. The case does seem to have a better feel to it now they have changed the silicone.

One thing I will say is that I didn't like the built in screen protector. I removed it from both my iP4s and iP5 cases. I use an SGP Ultraclear screen protector instead. Dust ingress doesn't seem to be a problem and I have been using the cases this way for some time now so I reckon it would have shown up by now.

Thanks for the review, it's a great case IMHO.

TBH, the earpiece/front facing camera are not covered by the in built protector anyway so the case is not fully sealed.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I think I am going to have to pull my recommendation for the OtterBox Defender. I took the phone out of the case to wipe it down and I found a coupe scratches and gouges on the screen that I cannot get to wipe away. I am extremely disappointed.

As most of you know the case also attracts a lot of dust and such. I have taken pictures of the dust, and I'll post them below...also of the nicks/scratches that are now present on my phone.

Here is the dust after only a day or two of use:

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

And here are the nicks/scratches to the left and right of the Home button:

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I read this original review whenever it was first posted and am glad I stopped back. I am on a quest to find an iPhone 5 now and was JUST about to order a defender from Amazon. Loved the case for the 4S but this has me worried...

- - - Updated - - -

I read this original review whenever it was first posted and am glad I stopped back. I am on a quest to find an iPhone 5 now and was JUST about to order a defender from Amazon. Loved the case for the 4S but this has me worried...

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Based on the update in post 27 I took mine off as well and had the same gouges down on either side of the home button and one right under the earpiece. Thankfully I had replaced the built in screen protector with a 3rd party one, but off the Otterbox went. I don't want to risk it eventually gouging through the screen shield and scratching the glass. Back to Speck Candyshell for now.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Based on the update in post 27 I took mine off as well and had the same gouges down on either side of the home button and one right under the earpiece. Thankfully I had replaced the built in screen protector with a 3rd party one, but off the Otterbox went. I don't want to risk it eventually gouging through the screen shield and scratching the glass. Back to Speck Candyshell for now.

Yea unfortunately I didn't have a screen protector on underneath...didn't think I needed it. All well I guess...it's just a phone.

Still irritates me.

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
It's too bad that your phones have taken damage. I am still loving my otterbox and haven't found any scratches or gouges anywhere after using it a couple of weeks. I am sending it back under warranty though as the color of the silicone has faded in spots to white and looks terrible after only a couple of weeks. Otherwise I am a very happy camper with the new design of the defender.

twkufahl

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing an ill fit with their iPhone 5? I've always used Otterbox Defender cases, and I feel like the quality of their designs has deteriorated over time (particularly the iPad 2 and iPad 3rd gen. Defenders). My iPhone does not have a snug vertical fit. If I shake it, even gently, I can feel and hear it moving in the case. Once PowerSupport releases their screen shield and I open up the case for that, I plan to try and figure out a way to put in some kind of foam spacers. It's really disappointing, though.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine is fine but I've seen one or two people mention it. Try contacting the company. My guess is it was an early batch.

Follow me on the Twitter! @_jorts

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
If you look around the home button area... You'll see what I refer to as burrs.

Those areas coincide with the area of the scratches.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1351360661.159172.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1351360661.159172.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 119
  • ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1351360671.708770.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1351360671.708770.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 122

DoubleEagle

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing an ill fit with their iPhone 5? I've always used Otterbox Defender cases, and I feel like the quality of their designs has deteriorated over time (particularly the iPad 2 and iPad 3rd gen. Defenders). My iPhone does not have a snug vertical fit. If I shake it, even gently, I can feel and hear it moving in the case. Once PowerSupport releases their screen shield and I open up the case for that, I plan to try and figure out a way to put in some kind of foam spacers. It's really disappointing, though.

Noticed the same thing! I returned it for a refund.

Spat

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Wish I had read this earlier! Ordered a defender for iPhone 5. Should be here Mon. Have always used Otterbox. I use it to protect iPhone from scratches don't want one to actually cause them.
Any recommendation for another one that protects well? Thanks

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Wish I had read this earlier! Ordered a defender for iPhone 5. Should be here Mon. Have always used Otterbox. I use it to protect iPhone from scratches don't want one to actually cause them.
Any recommendation for another one that protects well? Thanks

Same here, I had a lot of faith in their products.

I emailed them to tell them what happened, but I haven't heard from them yet.

twkufahl

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Last night I wrote a very long email to Otterbox documenting my increasing disappointment with the deterioration of the quality of their products. I've had a Defender for my iPhone 3G, Droid X, iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (I have had both the iPad 2 Defender and the 3rd generation iPad Defender), and iPhone 5. The iPhone 3G and original iPad were by far my favorite. The iPad 2 Defender was my least favorite. The email was probably a huge waste of time, and I doubt anyone of consequence will read it, but it was at least somewhat cathartic. I'm pondering a move to Trident cases. If Trident made an iPad case with a removable polycarbonate screen cover like the Defender has, I'd almost certainly give it a try.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW