OtterBox Defender Series iPhone 5 Review

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I was going to say the same thing as the 2 above. I feel the materials for the 5 (and the case itself) are greatly improved from the 4/4S. And that's pretty much what I've read everywhere else.

If you don't like it though get something you like, you're the one that has to live with it.

JSuss

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I love my otterbox defender for its utility and ruggedness. However it does not allow use of the flash adapter to convert the flash plug to 32 pin. This is a real pain when I want to use my phone with my iPod iPhone car interface. Also the bottom cover does attenuate the sound significantly when using it as a speaker phone.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys. I'm wondering which case to get. I need some feedbacks/comments whether the otterbox defender 5 or the lifeproof is way way better?
Thanks.

Do you need protection from water? I'd say that is the biggest question. There have been complaints about both cases overall.

The replacement I got from Otterbox was better...it didn't have raised edges, but I only used it for a day and its now collecting dust in my drawer. I am now using the Otterbox Commuter.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've got the Glacier Defender on my 5 and it's really good. Don't have the rainbow effect because I always pop out the built in screen protector and apply a power support anti-glare hd directly to the phone's screen. That is a nice setup. Now, I do intend to swing by Target today an pick up a white candyshell. Just scared that even with the 5 version there'll be some eraser effect.

*EDIT*

Funny thing is, after posted this is shook my case and I could feel the 5 move some. I think I read about that previously. Having the phone move in the case can't be good. 😔

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

jrdfox

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the life proof case and love it! The first batches I think they had problems with hearing, no problems with mine

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I've got the Glacier Defender on my 5 and it's really good. Don't have the rainbow effect because I always pop out the built in screen protector and apply a power support anti-glare hd directly to the phone's screen. That is a nice setup. Now, I do intend to swing by Target today an pick up a white candyshell. Just scared that even with the 5 version there'll be some eraser effect.

*EDIT*

Funny thing is, after posted this is shook my case and I could feel the 5 move some. I think I read about that previously. Having the phone move in the case can't be good. 😔

And there ya go...most protective case? Lol. Maybe not. I have grown to really dislike otterbox defender cases...a little over rated to me

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I just hope this candyshell I just picked up doesn't give the eraser effect. I love candyshells! White on white is nice!!

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I just hope this candyshell I just picked up doesn't give the eraser effect. I love candyshells! White on white is nice!!

I don't think I've heard of the eraser effect...but I've had candyshells and they're nice. I've had black and white, and the black I actually modified to look sort of like a dark brushed aluminum. I used a sanding sponge that was wet and then a scrubbing sponge (for dishes) to smooth it out a little. Looked really good in the end and wasn't nearly as prone to scratches or fingerprints.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I've heard of the eraser effect...but I've had candyshells and they're nice. I've had black and white, and the black I actually modified to look sort of like a dark brushed aluminum. I used a sanding sponge that was wet and then a scrubbing sponge (for dishes) to smooth it out a little. Looked really good in the end and wasn't nearly as prone to scratches or fingerprints.

Hmmm, doesn't sound like a bad mod.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been in communication with otter box over the last few days. They claim to have made some improvements to the fit and feel of the defender series for the Iphone 5. My complaint was that the little rubber piece where the bely clip goes broke into and the rubber got loose and would wrinkle up. All this happen after only about 2 weeks. They say there has been am improvement to the beltclip as well. What I don't know but was thinking of giving it another try but still not sure. The rubber used on the Iphone 5 case i so different from what was used in the 4 or 4s that it is not even close. Also had the rainbow effect on the screen with the case on. I just didn't like it all. I wish I could find someone who has one manufactured in the last few weeks or so to get a report.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
how can i tell if its a real otterbox or not? the first one I ordered off amazon and it was in otterbox packaging when I received it?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
how can i tell if its a real otterbox or not? the first one I ordered off amazon and it was in otterbox packaging when I received it?

I haven't had any issues with my Otterbox except for some of the rainbow streaking on the screen. I know mine was genuine because I purchased it from an authorized retailer. The rainbow streaks aren't a defect, just a side effect from humidity.

You can't really know by looking if you have an authentic Otterbox, to my knowledge. You should just purchase from an authorized retailer. That would be places like carrier stores, best buy, or even direct from Otterbox online.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I used a sanding sponge that was wet and then a scrubbing sponge (for dishes) to smooth it out a little. Looked really good in the end and wasn't nearly as prone to scratches or fingerprints.

I just did the same mod on my white Candyshell!! It's nice!!

rscott016

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
You can get one for about $25 that is sold and shipped by amazon. Definitely check out where it is coming from before buying.

+1 to that bought one last week got it and the inside clips that go on the hard plastic don't clip together and the home button wouldn't click once I got the case together. Not to mention the color (night sky-blue) didn't look right. I emailed them and hopefully will be getting an authentic replacement from otterbox directly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods